Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:13PM psycros said

A shame CO is such a buggy, unbalanced, paper-thin experience. If you combined CoH's stability and depth with CO's improved graphics, controls and overall presentation, you'd have a heck of a game.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:24PM blakerefuge said

@psycros

Looks like someone hasn't played CO is quiiiiite some time!

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:49PM Stormwalker said

@Tempes Magus Heh, try saying that on the CO forums. A dozen players will jump all over you insisting CoH's graphics are "dated" and CO's are far superior. It's a tiresome statement repeated by them in a forum thread about CoH going f2p.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:56PM blakerefuge said

@Stormwalker

CoH's graphics have a nice aesthetic to them, but to not call them dated is just lying to yourself. CO's graphics also have a nice aesthetic, but also a lot more technical "oomph" behind them. That's just a fact directly caused by CO being a more recent game. Both games still looks quite great on their own merits.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 7:51PM Dunraven said

@blakerefuge Yeah CO rocks I have a blast playing

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 2:14PM Daemodand said

@Tempes Magus Yes, I suppose CO's graphics are technically superior, but I prefer the art direction of CoH. CO's art direction, to me, is just plain ugly. CoH, though dated, looks good and has a certain pleasing style to it.

The one thing DCUO really has going for it are it strikes a good balance between the two with its graphics. Good graphics tech like CO, but with the performance and pleasing art direction of CoH.

Also, ever try to lower the graphics settings on CO? Things get real ugly real fast. I was able to make the game look like an abstract painting even! Scale down the graphics in CoH and it still looks pretty good.

And animations. Animations in CoH are better than either DC or CO, hands down. Some of the best animations I've seen in an MMO since classic SWG.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:50PM Stormwalker said

Aftershock #4 was overall pretty good. Creepy atmosphere, and some interesting new gameplay mechanics. The Ellie nightmare is innovative, though i found it frustrating due to the mechanics not being very clear.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 9:12PM (Unverified) said

For those that have never played CO, i highly recommend playing it ONLY ONCE - just so you can experience some amazing stories and battles. But now that it is yet another F2p waste and the devs are unbelievably lazy, I suggest paying for premium, play around 6mos to enjoy the adventuring process from 1 - level cap and beyond.

If you did play CO when it was a REAL mmo, then there is NO POINT in coming back AT ALL now that it is f2p trash - except to possibly see the new advnture packs or stories. OIther than that, play the content youve missed since the game will be gone within a year.

Cryptic had their chance and CO could have been the most amazing game, but the listened to the whiney rushing power-leveling morons and have since destroyed their game, just to jump on the F2p bandwagon that will soon FAIL and bring several games crashing down. You can go from Sub to f2p, but you cant go from sub to f2p and the expect to go back to sub. They lost their chance.

The future lies with DCUO and COH(paying for vip - f2p will be another waste)

I cannot wait for these devs to get fired for teh idea of making great games go f2p. All it does is bring in the online worlds biggest pieces of TRASH, and show that they have given up on making their game a REAL mmo.

Champions Online, vibora bay xpac and before, I will always love and miss you. R.I.P.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:11AM WyattEarp89 said

@Tempes Magus

I agree with Tempes. The game is a lot better now than before. Even though it is free to play/sub hybrid I am paying a sub to enjoy the extra perks. CO, to me, was not good at launch. The game could still use some extra stuff like more social options and more open zones, but the difference between launch and now is huge. I am even thinking about getting the lifetime sub sine I am enjoying it so much. DCUO is alright, but I enjoy CoH/V and CO more.

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 5:06AM WyattEarp89 said

Just finished the new Aftershock mission and I have to say that was awesome! I like how its not just all kill everything then fight the boss. I don't want to say too much and spoil it for those who have not done it yet, but this mission was a very nice change from the usual stuff in MMOs. Looking forward to the next comic series!

Posted: Jun 23rd 2011 9:09AM gandales said

I really like the comic series, the plot is slowly unfolding. I look forward for the next issues.

About CO vs. CoH graphics. I haven't checked the technical details but from my perception, I find the CO character anatomy design a lot of better than CoH, especially when looking to faces. It also allows me to make many character style from classic western style to a more animeish version. The main advantage for CoH might be the textures but I still like CO's graphics more.