Posted: Jun 21st 2011 5:05PM Eric Francis said

The only transfer that would interest me back when i was playing, was this:

Low pop > high pop

Cuz its no fun to play alone.

I rerolled from a low pop server to Briarcliff because i couldnt take how empty it all was.

Even with pvp and insta-BG queues to be had, Rift at 50 is just a huge gear grind, so i quit.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 5:10PM Vundal said

the trial shards are interesting but that is going to mean they cant be asking players who have experiance how the game is...and if there arent many trial players on a shard they will just say"wow this game has noone playing it. "

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 5:18PM Dril said

So, yes, it is essentially exactly the same as the free transfers offered by other companies. As predicted.

Still, it's nice. But server merges would better if the population is ailing (I have no idea if it is, but hey) since most are unwilling to go to a low-op realm, especially if they already have links on the other servers.

Nice to see the RP server get some love though.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 5:31PM enamelizer said

@Dril

It does not appear that the lowest population servers are on the list, so I imagine this will have the effect of a server merge.

I think the players will slowly transfer off these servers with no option to return and the servers will be closed or turned into trial servers.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 5:40PM (Unverified) said

@Dril

Yeah, I'm guessing the low pop servers are going to become the trial shards. So, in practice, this is a sneaky way to do gradual server merges.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 5:42PM MtthwRddl said

Well, that's good news. I can transfer my characters from Faeblight to Galena for the Massively guild.

Too bad I don't play the game currently, but it's nice to know that if I decide to resubscribe, that option will be available to me.

I'm sure someone will find *some* way to complain about this great free service.

And the addition of Trial shards is pretty brilliant. Trion learns much after each of their events.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 8:21PM Rengar said

It appears from reading the forum replies that many of the lowest population server you cannot transfer to at all.

The going theory is the most empty shards will be used for Trial Shards or possibly closed all together when people move to higher population Shards.

This also makes sense given their recent upgrades of server hardware. If they do this right, it could up being a fantastic move by Trion.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 9:32PM Saintwalker31livecom said

• Half a heart
RIFT=boredom.....

And another mmo bites the dust.......

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:06AM Daelen said

@Saintwalker31livecom

True though really should have included that its gold dust... zing!

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 10:34PM winterborn said

They would not be in this mess if they had done it right from the start.

I dont think they could have due to the old game engine or a cost issue but they should have went with much, much larger servers with no queue's.

No need for transfers or trial servers or cross shard/server tech etc.

Oh well it wont last long anyway.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 11:38PM eyeball2452 said

For all the things that Trion butchers, let's give them credit for the things that they do right. This is one of them and they should be given full credit and applauded for bucking the trend in an industry that nickle and dimes players who just want to play with their friends.

I just hope the next batch of MMOs (I'm looking at you TOR) takes the good features from Rift and implements them ... this being one feature every MMO should have ... for free. Some dynamic content would be nice too. In theory, Invasions were a great idea. In practice, they bugged out too often and were too repetitive to be really cool.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 1:32AM real65rcncom said

First stage complete.

Next stage: shut down launch day servers.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 6:08AM Budukahn said

Although initially critical of it, the implementation of the free transfers actually seems to suit me quite well. My own realm, their list of approved transfer shards, and I intend to use this facility to get around the "Six characters per shard" limit by swapping in and out characters depending on circumstance. ofcourse, they might take away the service at any time, which would leave me pretty screwed, since there's only one English RP realm to park them all on.

I'm slightly concerned about the "Trial" shards however. If I was a prospective player of any game, I'd want to get an indication of how the end game players are feeling about the service before I committed to a subscrtiption. Are they largely satisfied? Entertained even? Is anyone even playing to 50? What about Guilds? Rift is a long boring crawl to 50 without other people to liven it up with. Also, does this mean that forthcoming content is going to be directed to wards enticing new customers with events that are supportive of the trial servers? In my opinion, it's the mid-high level game that desperately needs the most work being largely devoid of players, impossibly to get groups in and lazily designed in terms of quests.

Mostly I feel sorry for those small communities who are going to find themselves forcibly evicted to make way for Trion's shiny new show homes. Overall though, it all seems good for me. Can't really complain.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 12:22PM eyeball2452 said

@Budukahn

I actually like the idea of trial servers if it solves the spam problem. Personally, I buy MMO game boxes based on the first 20-25 levels of content. I would be happy to start on a low pop server, learn the game and then xfer somewhere else later.

The best part of the system is that the server transfers are free, so people can learn the game and then transfer anywhere they want after the trial period without having to worry, "Did I pick the right server to play on?"

There are more than a few things that annoyed me in Rift, but the features that Rift has done right should become industry staples. The trial servers and free server transfers based on a timed cooldown are a couple of things that every future MMO should adopt.

One Shots: Cruising for Borg

Posted on Dec 22nd 2014 10:00AM

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM