Posted: Jun 21st 2011 9:19PM DevilSei said

Playonline finally getting nuked like it needed to be...? Doth thyne eyes deceive'eth... me...

That is awesome!

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 9:24PM VIVIsectVI said

I wonder if this will lead to them using 1st party billing for FFXIV soon after. I may resub (since it's still free) if they stop using that [expletive deleted] ClickandBuy.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 9:26PM Victor Stillwater said

Alright. I have some questions.

I have an old installer disc from 2009 I'd like to use, but was previously unable to do so due to the need for a credit card with additional security.

When the transfer completes, does that mean I can go and install that DVD without needing to go through the credit card process?

more importantly, where can a person from the Philippines acquire a digital copy of the full game if he wanted to play. It's not available on Steam in my region. :(

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 9:59PM Omali said

@Victor Stillwater

1. you need a secure credit card to run the subscription, it doesn't matter what you buy it through. You'll need to contact Square Enix if you don't have such a card, and they can assist you: http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?kid=54216&id=20

2. I don't believe there are any.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 10:18PM Victor Stillwater said

@Omali ACK. So that means it's basically something unplayable for me, regardless of whether it becomes Crysta enabled or not?

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 10:37PM Raikulxox said

@Victor Stillwater I had a card that wasn't securecode secured, and got a number to call along with the error message. SE fixed it so I can use the card to play XI.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 10:38PM Raikulxox said

@Victor Stillwater Yeah, on the games steam page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/39250/?snr=1_4_4__13), it says:

For those customers that do not have a credit card that supports Verified by Visa® or MasterCard SecureCode®, Square Enix is able to assist you with creating an account.

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 11:10PM Victor Stillwater said

@Raikulxox Er... the first issue would be getting the game. As it stands, unless they automatically change the install process, I'd still need to purchase the game elsewhere. That, and I need to call them without incurring horrible Long-distance call charges. That said, thanks though.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 2:44AM Khalus said

This is like the best news ever, since SE wouldn't bypass my CC last month when I wanted to play so badly. I have 10,000 Crysta from when XIV launched that I've never used yet...obviously. I'll finally be able to play XI again and not have to deal with their ridiculous 3D Secure BS.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW, to everyone concerned about the CC BS, you can purchase Crysta using Paypal. Thats how I bought my Crysta...its one of the options hidden behind the click n' buy I think, or it was the other one thats not a direct CC. Just click them and one will offer if you'd like to use Paypal to pay them, which in turn pays SE, and you'll be rolling in Crysta...LOL

I'd check and find exactly which one, but I have the maximum Crysta an account can hold and it won't let me past the Crysta selection screen saying I'm maxed out...hehe

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 3:49AM Victor Stillwater said

@Khalus You're referring to the UltimatePay service, I believe. :)

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 4:06AM Viiral said

@Victor Stillwater You have PayPal and Ultimate Game Card via PlaySpan Inc

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 8:31AM (Unverified) said

@Khalus

Is there a way to get around not having a 3D secure card to create an account? I bought the game when it was 10 bucks on Steam a few months back, but haven't been able to play because I don't have a 3D card and work at night and can't call during their business hours.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 12:41PM Khalus said

With FFXI, I've heard you can get around it using the 360 version to create an account and pay, then just play on the PC. SE doesn't require the 3D Secure through the 360 so I was told. Doesn't make sense why they do on PC, and not a single other MMO out there requires it...but ah well.

Otherwise you'll just have to wait until this merger, or get a card that has the feature, or have a friend sign you up.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 3:24PM Chiren said

I predict that no one is going to be able to log in for 3 days when this change is implemented.

I hope to be proven wrong and full of crawler calculus though.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014