Posted: Jun 20th 2011 1:11PM Irem said

The big ones for me are 1) roleplay friendliness; 2) social tools that respect my privacy and weren't designed with the assumption that every player will shut themselves off completely from human contact if given the option to hide their online status or decide whose friendlist they want to be on; 3) lack of two warring factions (I can't stand the "status quo is god" effect it has on the storyline); 4) something to do at max level other than raid; 5) appearance tab or customizable armor (there's really no excuse at this point).

Stuff that I miss if it's not there: mounts, flight, crafting, vanity pets, an in-game barbershop, big cities, and the Ethereals from Outland (well, I -do- miss them).

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 1:17PM (Unverified) said

Crafting is not one i consider needed because they usually never end up on your charatcter (armor/weapons). Character customization would be nice feature but not really a deal breaker. Ability to level (yes i want levels) how ever you like (quests/pvp/instances). All i need is good pvp content that wont quit. I like the game to have battlegrounds for fun pvp, world pvp with new exciting objectives for pvp and competitive pvp in some form. Pvp gear should be made for pvp and attaining it should require commiting to playing alot of pvp.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 1:45PM Jeromai said

Viable solo progression, fun solo gameplay.

Some kind of "opt-out" option or safety features that prevent griefers from inflicting chain losses any time they feel like it.

I need the first. I just don't do group-only games. Too much time wasted waiting on conditions to be just right and for people to gather. The unending pressure to play the expected role or perform the expected task just right, else you let down the group... I need solo time to chill out, relax, experiment, and PLAY (as in mess around, try new things, not take things seriously.) The games I enjoy most are those that provide different experiences both solo and grouped, so I get a ton of gameplay variety and the freedom to choose if I want to go it alone or enjoy group synergy that game session.

The second is a safety option. I specify griefers, because I can be ok with PvP within the boundaries set by the game. PvP zones, PvP flags, PvP server, whatever, if it's marked, you've implicitly consented by playing there. I might not play there long, but that's fair enough. Even FFA PvP, if there are inbuilt systems of checks and balances, it might be worth a short look.

The games I absolutely will not touch are those allow free-for-all griefing. To me, those are a no-win except for ceasing to play kind of game. What can you do in them? You can a) be a victim and suffer continual losses and feed the merriment of the predators, until b) you make friends, grind, toughen up, whatever and become a predator to feed on the suffering of others. No thanks, I have no interest in learning how to grief, or in being helplessly griefed.

Other than those two mandatory features, I'm not really picky, I'm always game to try any game out and see how I like it. I especially enjoy the creativity of nonstandard MMO-like games.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 2:02PM stealthrider said

Appearance tab. My look is as important to my gameplay as my class choice, and my gear.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 2:52PM Sorithal said

The main "optional" one that keeps me in a game is basically a summary of most of the "optional" features.

Aka variety.

I hate games that lack variety now. I like having a large variety of things to do in a game, and if a game becomes too repetitive (example: WoW) I'll get bored easily and quit.

What I also like though is when a game has a high level of immersion, which is sadly lacking in a lot of MMOs. I like to feel like I'm the actual character and like I'm in the actual world when I run around and do things, even if I don't really roleplay much. If a game lacks that drawing factor, chances are I won't like it too much after a short while.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 3:22PM Nepentheia said

A "threaten" MOB aggro behavior system (like boars and some other MOBs in LOTRO behave, for instance). I love exploring and frickin' hate having to constantly wade through hordes of instantly aggroing MOBs (most especially if those MOBs aggro regardless of one's level).

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 3:54PM chuckasucka said

What game is the picture from in this post?

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 6:24PM (Unverified) said

If you have guilds in your game (or clans or whatever you call them), you should have guild banks. Have I played games without them, yes, but why bother having a collective if you don't give it tools to share resources?

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 10:37PM j3w3l said

the main thing i always want is a player driven economy, not an artificial one based only on leveling. The only game that has even come close to this is eve.

Posted: Jun 22nd 2011 9:03AM b3n said

Puzzle Pirates probably has the most extensive optional features - and they are equal in both F2P and P2P oceans.

There is a lot of stuff that can be done -- a lot of compelling (ingame currency) sinks.