Posted: Jun 19th 2011 12:08PM C Rose said

Enjoy REH's tomes Jef. But stay away from the imposter books by de Camp and others.

REH's original works are indeed perfectly flawed and yet powerfully viceral. The books are filled with raw emotion unlike the antiseptic later versions by other authors.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 2:32PM Faction 3 said

@C Rose Agree 100%. I have every Howard Conan Book that was published, and its easily seen that DeCamp can't compare. Trust me, don't touch DeCamp. If you're still in the mood for more Howard Stories, Check out the Soloman Kane novels too. Great stories there as well.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 7:55PM Pingles said

@Faction 3

The DeCamps do an okay job spinning a tale but Robert E. Howards ability to turn the most mundane description into something thrilling is a wonder to me.

I regularly re-read his work to try and leech a bit of technique.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 3:02AM NeverDeath said

@Pingles

A fantasy author that did this for me was James Silke. He wrote the Death Dealer series, possibly more popularly known as the books based on Frank Frazetta's original works. He had a way of describing things that could practically transport you there.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 1:27PM Poordevil said

What was that quest in the Border Range that required gathering something like 300 bags of rice? I completed that quest one time and I recall thinking, I'll be getting some great reward for all this trouble!

But it is a good zone, a little on the small side, kind of a broad cul de sac on the edge of the Wildlands.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 1:42PM BigAndShiny said

Im currently level 24 and a bit confused about where I should go to have the most fun on this new character. Im a demonologist and me and my friend are in Conall's Valley which im really enjoying, but im thinking about going to this place once I visit level 30.

Is there a list of proper full party instances like dungeons in other games? And once I hit 40, where should I go?
Thanks, always love reading your articles, and you finally gave me a reason to head back to AoC.

Any chance of scoring an interview about Turan?

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 2:29PM Jef Reahard said

@BigAndShiny

At 30 you have a few options depending on what kind of geography you like and whether you want to do solo or small dungeon stuff (or a mix of both). At 40 everyone pretty much goes to the Field of the Dead in Cimmeria.

This leveling guide that I wrote last summer is still current until they come out with the new dungeons and movie stuff later this summer.

And yeah I'd like to have some Turan-focused stuff later this summer as the release gets nearer.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 2:33PM Jef Reahard said

@Jef Reahard

Almost forgot, the Tarantia Noble District instances also open up at 40 (and scale with your level all the way to 80). That's a big grind spot for folks and there are some fun quests in there. I got bored with it after my second character, though, and would definitely exhaust FotD first and then maybe the villas afterwards for a change of scenery.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 2:41PM Faction 3 said

@Jef Reahard Big fan of your Article Jef, you, yourself, pretty much turned me into a AoC player.

And I thank you!!

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 2:51PM BigAndShiny said

@Faction 3
But your guide doesn't include the border range? Where does that come in, or is that just a tiny area that'll only get me up a level or so?

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 2:55PM BigAndShiny said

@BigAndShiny

Also, it seems they might need more content in that 35-40 range then, which is kind of ironic since they are putting Turan in a 50 when that already has 2 zones.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 11:15PM (Unverified) said

@BigAndShiny

The Border Range is L32-34

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 2:52PM Misterlee said

@BigAndShiny
A good place for 20-35/40 would be Gateway to Khitai, if you have the Rise of the Godslayer expansion.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 3:27PM Nepentheia said

If you look at the original map that Robert E. Howard himself drew (http://hyboria.xoth.net/maps/hyborianauctionmap.jpg), you'll see a mountain range that lies on the border between Aquilonia and Nemedia. That's the Border Range.

The Border Range is a deeply forested, slate-colored mountain range that marked the border between Aquilonia and Nemedia, extending from the north at the Cimmerian border, southward to the Tybor River.

A reference is made in the Hour of the Dragon to the Border Range which Conan crossed after leaving Belverus, and just before his encounter with (the very very awesome) Zelata:
"This road from Belverus was the only road that crossed the border for fifty miles from north to south. It followed a series of passes through the hills, and on either hand lay a wide expanse of a wild, sparsely inhabited mountains. He maintained his due westerly direction, intending to cross the border deep to the wilds of the hills that lay to the south of the passes. It was a shorter route, more arduous, but safer for a hunted fugitive. One man on a horse could traverse country an army would find impassable."

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 10:16PM (Unverified) said

If I remember correctly that is where the great cursed scroll quest is located. Loved seeing people posting in Global " Why are these skeletons attacking me?!!? :)