Posted: Jun 19th 2011 3:04AM captdry said

I logged onto Tribble yesterday expecting great things and was sorely dissappointed. STO is like a house that you try and build with the people already living there. The fanbase screems for canon to satisfy the child inside us who would like to wear a TOS uniform and sit in Captain Kirks bridge. Thats fun for 5 seconds.
They need to pick up their game otherwise competitors, old and new, will pull players away. 45 years of loyalty doesnt last as long as you think...

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 12:33PM Masync9 said

@captdry

Exactly! SAVE YOUR MONEY _skip_ Star Trek Online - resubbed this weekend and it was very disappointing. I left STO 45 days after it first released and so based on Massively's post I thought I would check it out again to see if it had improved.

There were several very small improvements but the big glaring issues are still in the game. Space map navigation is still a joke/mess, new players are frustrated and the regulars are burned out or too tired of answering the same issues over and over again.

They added bridge officer and ship money sinks err I mean damage. You have to go all the way back to Sol space to get healed and repaired. That's not too bad as long as you can time your transwarp jumps. Otherwise if you skip repairs you get debuffed based on the level of damage.

Their down loader worked well and its 6.7GB of data plus another 300mb patch at the login screen. Still not sure why this was not included while it was down loading. Would have been a better user experience if you can actually login after it supposed to be finished lol.

I found several of the original core missions are still broken and completely unbalanced. Perfect example is the endless attack waves of ships that keep coming in while your try to defend the biggest idiot ship captain that has ever lived.
Does this Captain:
Bother moving away? No.
Rotate shields? No
Shoot at anything? No
What this Captain actually does do is the ultimate in maneuvers: Sit there like a lump. So that one shield the enemy keeps pounding buckles all the while the rest are 100% sparkling. Brilliant.

My restarted subscription was cancelled not even 48 hours later. Would be nice to get a refund... lol

Honestly I am burned out on fantasy stuff so I would like a decent space MMO to play until ToR comes out.

Its these in between times before the next big release I think I waste the most money hehe.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 3:39AM Seldra said

I'm currently playing right now to keep me busy till next year's big launches. After 3 weeks play time, really ain't much to do. Besides the Borg "Raids" the endgame content is pretty thin. The game is very fun during leveling, but endgame is so little, hoping this next batch of updates helps fix that.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 3:26PM NoHopeForSome said

@Seldra My account time is at 100+ days and I'm not at level cap yet. Taking my time, doing a level every couple of days or so, maybe playing 3-4 days a week. I think thats the best way to play this game. If you rush though, then you will end up like this.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 8:48AM Verus said

Have they released any endgame content that can be done by more than five people ?

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 11:08AM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
"She's dead jim!...i dinna think i can do anything to save her!"

*chuckle*

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 3:22PM NoHopeForSome said

@Graill440 Well done, you managed the fuse the spirits of McCoy and Scotty.

Posted: Jun 19th 2011 3:24PM NoHopeForSome said

Blanket Statement to all asking:

No, there is no max level raid in the traditional sense, but that's not what STO is about. The weekly features will be starting soon, Fleet actions are going to be polished up and there is a ton of use content going into the game that is great fun.

If you want traditional end game raiding, then STO isn't for you. But, that doesn't make it a bad game. Just different.

/endmissamericaspeech.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 8:50AM Daverator said

@NoHopeForSome
Fleet actions are closest things to end game raids, which are being added as group queueable encounters in S4 (which *should* pave the way for more interesting ones like crystalline entity, that require a little more than just killing 30 groups of cruisers)

I don't think STO intends to be all about raiding, and I can't even say that it is a bad thing, they do however still need end game activities and long term goals. Supposedly Starbases in S5 are supposed to be that, will have to wait and see.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 4:52AM BubleFett said

The ground combat looks very promising.
The third person mouse look gives the players a sense
of urgency. The crouch aiming while moving and shooting is well done too.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 12:38PM Masync9 said

Oh forgot to add: The foundry in STO is a neat idea, player created content but you get nothing for doing them other than mindlessly bored or play testing.

I can understand the natural devs fear of exploits but really they need to verify some of them and give rewards.

This makes me nervous for Neverwinter Nights Foundry - not see much promise here from Cryptic...

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014