Posted: Jun 17th 2011 10:06AM Irem said

Thanks for writing about this, because it's something that I don't see discussed much even though I've met a lot of people who do it. It seems at first like the kind of thing that would be a bad move, but done well I think it can also be a good exercise in characterization. As long as you aren't married to the specifics of a given character and can narrow down the essential traits that make them who they are, it's pretty easy to transplant a favorite concept. They're basically expys, and I think the guidelines you wrote about in your article about those (http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/10/08/storyboard-brother-from-another-series) could easily be applied to take a stock character from one setting to another, completely different one.

My planned main for GW2 is a transplant of my blood elf paladin from WoW, but as a human necromancer he got to where he is from a much different place. At first I didn't think I'd be able to bring him over because his identity and characterization were so tied up in blood elf/Blood Knight culture and history, but letting go of his formative experiences and concentrating on his core character let me work back from the end result and find things in the history and culture of humans on Tyria that would create a person like that.

Also, Mass Effect is awesome. :D

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 4:38PM JuliusSeizure said

I definitely have stock themes that recur in my characters, but I always end up combining them in new ways and tweaking some new traits in there too.

For example, I've had a few young, cheerful and rebellious characters from disadvantaged backgrounds, but they're still quite distinct. One was genuinely eager to please and happy-go-lucky. Another was scheming and bitter, with her outward personality just a mask. A third was rather dopey and naive because thinking too hard causes horrific childhood flashbacks.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 4:43PM JuliusSeizure said

@JuliusSeizure

Also, it's never deliberate. I always make the character then in retrospect think, "Hey, this character fits into the same thematic area as these other ones from my past. Good thing there's these significant differences."

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 8:17PM Graill440 said

I am assuming your referencing plotlines in quests that are supposed to be significant and impact what one player can do in an area verse what another player can do due to choice and the real person acting out.

In a single player game the story is scripted, you have limited choice in what you can do and no one is going to react to you in any particular way except those npcs that are again, scripted to react a certain way. Your guaranteed one of several proper reactions.

With real people all the work and imagination you put into your character will be for nothing, people being who they are. If you get into a group that is not locked out of an area for a quest and you are locked out because of a choice due to your characters own story, your going to be booted, plain and simple until you find others that have the same "storyline" or values, this is a problem. Even on RP servers i cannot see the single player game immersion verse MMO comparison being used. Two totally different animals.

Your having a goal of playing a loyal character a certain way is great, the problems lay with the way devs make the games and how you will have to act and how you will have to behave because of the dev choices verse the rest of the player base.

I recently finished the witcher 2, great game (too short), buggy as hell but it was one i was willing to push through because of story. There isnt a developer alive that could incorporate that kind of detail and choice for me in an online MMO, Rp server or not, because the budgets, time and talent simply arent there.

Posted: Jun 18th 2011 4:51PM Irem said

@Graill440
I'm not quite sure I get where you're coming from. The whole point of RPing in MMOs is to do it with real people, and to let the character you've created play off the ones they've created. It's very rarely about quests and ingame storylines, or hoping that random pickup groups are okay with you being locked out of an area because you didn't do Quest #389--in fact, I don't know of -any- MMO RPers who play that way. The hard work and effort to create an RP character is hardly wasted when you meet up and play with people who are creating their -own- stories in the game world, instead of depending on NPCs and scripted events to provide that for them.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny