Posted: Jun 17th 2011 5:45PM C Rose said

So in essence it's not $9.99, it's $24.99. I mean what's the use of an MMO "client" with the 30 days included at least?

Seems silly to me when I can just download the "client" for free and not play it, which in essence is what I'd get for the $9.99 anyways.

I'm not blaming you Jef (you're awesome btw). I'm just saying that this "promotion" is a bit of bait and switch if it doesn't include 1 month of gametime. They should have just promoted it as "Buy Rift for only $24.99 today!" That way we'd all assume that is the full game with the 1 month as it should be.

Thanks though. I haven't been able to get into Rift myself after trying 3 times, but it is a good game and I'd encourage people to try the 1 week free trial before spending anything on it. It is a good deal, just misleading advertisement I think.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 5:52PM TtD Scoop said

@C Rose

I think you're mistaken. the "client" is a Key for your own account which you CANNOT get by simply "downloading the client." Assuming the game is normally what? 40 bucks now? that's $26 for the "client" AKA your new key and 14$ for your free month. Am i wrong here?

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 5:54PM TtD Scoop said

@TtD Scoop
Bah! ignore that. I re-read what you typed and we're both seeing it the same just at different angles.My B.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:06PM yeppers said

@C Rose

I agree this is misleading. Marketing word games. I think Steam had Rift on sale for this price during one of their sales recently. It would be a great deal, and I may have taken them up on it, if it came with the 30 days other games come with.

Not sure what the point of saying it's $10 other than trying to trick people who don't read the fine print.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:24PM C Rose said

@yeppers

Yeah don't get me wrong I'm ALL FOR Rift getting new players in and giving WoW some more competition. I just think it's a bit misleading the way the promo is marketed is all.

Let me add too, that I love WoW and it's the best MMO ever. Anyone who disagrees I'm afraid you're lying to yourselves. HOWEVER, Blizzard is arrogant and complacent and now the game is suffering for it. I cancelled my account and I'm looking for something fresh and new. Unfortunately that means waiting for GW2 I believe.

I honestly wish Trion the very best and I love the fact that they are forcing some well needed competition into the marketplace. With TOR and GW2 and even TERA coming out, I think finally WoW's subs will begin to significantly drop and they'll have to start to think about innovating and giving their loyal customers more for their $15 a month.

If you ask me $15 x 11mil subs = a hell of a lot of money EVERY month. And that revenue doesn't seem to be going back into the product in a meaningful way. They seem happy to rest on their laurels and rake in the profits while dishing out lazy half-assed content when in reality they should and can afford to give us monthly content that is fun and invigorating. But no. And don't forget after the initial launch it get's easier and easier to release content as the framework is already laid out for the devs.

Bottomline, please try Rift and if you like it support Trion so that large IP's like WoW can't sit idly by and benefit from a lack of competition.

When companies compete, the consumers win! Cliche but true.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 5:58PM (Unverified) said

To say I am pissed is an understatement. I literally bought Rift yesterday. >_

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 7:05PM Oskari said

@(Unverified)

You might want to try customer service? Maybe they can give you a partial refund.

Posted: Jun 20th 2011 7:41PM Mopo said

@(Unverified)
If you bought it on Steam, good luck. The same thing happened to me and Steam never got back to me... Heck it was not even 8 hours since I purchased it and they had their first ever sale. It left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't really care about the money, but an email saying they can't help me would at least have been nice.

I stopped buying things off Steam. Not sure how long that will last, but bad customer service pisses me off.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:05PM Ratham said

@Puremallace Actually... Blizzard was selling base-WoW for $5 as of last night (maybe before that too? idk)

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:07PM VioletArrows said

Sidebar also says buy either and get an XP boost trinket and in-game title.

Too bad I already have more than enough games I'm not paying attention to. XP Stupid gamestop sales...

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:28PM Faith said

It's still a good deal at $9.99 plus needing the $14.99, considering the game sells anywhere from $34.99-$49.99 with the free time, at different stores. But yeah, when I first saw that email with $9.99 listed I was a guaranteed sale with no doubt. Now I'm back to debating and seeing if any guildies are going to play before I decide.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 11:28PM PhelimReagh said

@Faith
They were selling the collector's edition + game time for $35 digital download from their site last week. So this is $10 off an already discounted price.

Once you leave the free trial zone, though, you get the distinct feeling that, however much you might have paid, it was too much.

Posted: Jun 18th 2011 7:31PM JediSeer said

@Faith

I was thinking the same thing.

I thought I'd give myself a nice little Father's Day gift. At $14.99, I figured the Digital Collector's Edition was at least worth a shot. However, at $31.99 I'll pass, thanks. For my tastes, the earlier levels were WAAAAAYYYY too linear, when I last tried the game in beta.

Talk about a game on rails, this is it! I felt like I was in a one isle department store with no where to go and looking at the items on the shelves got old quickly!

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:33PM Kaahn Stewart said

That's the lamest marketing ploy I've ever seen. Why not just advertise it as "get Rift for $24.99 this weekend!"?

Posted: Jun 18th 2011 9:39PM Typhron said

@Kaahn Stewart

Stop making Puremalice seem right.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:35PM angryhoar said

• 1 heart
@Puremallace
Goddamn, you again. You're still defending this western p.o.s.?
It seems you feel the need to defend whatever game it is you're playing at the moment to justify to yourself why it is you're playing it.
Once he stops playing it though, ladies and gents, watch him flip flop more than a fish out of water.
*bloop* *bloop* *bloop*

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:43PM real65rcncom said

*batteries not included.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 10:25PM ImperialPanda said

@real65rcncom

lol that's good.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:47PM real65rcncom said

Wonder what they charge Europeans in this special deal too... :P

I'm sure it's "9.99" on print, but when they go to pay they get some kind of misleading "US Only" thing, so they have to pay euros which costs more.

At least thats what Soe did with DC universe.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 7:34PM ndessell said

@real65rcncom its a fathersday sale so its a a 50/50. It is also important to note the 9.99 price is for upgradeing the remaining time on a trial.

now if my account was active to whore my ascend-a-friend link out for.