Posted: Jun 16th 2011 11:41AM Pingles said

In the game developer war room:

"Hey guys we need splash page for our game. It's where ancient warriors battle against Gods!"

"How about a girl in a slip sitting on a tree and another bathing in a pond?"

"EXCELLENT! Captures the spirit of our game perfectly!"

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 11:51AM echoMateria said

Can anyone explain to me what is this "outstanding MMO experience" that this game offers?

I mean, if I were to start playing an MMO right now, why would I chose this one instead of all the rest?

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 11:58AM Lenn said

@echoMateria Judging from that picture: scantily-clad women. It's like they haven't seen any of the other countless MMOs out there.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:09PM Daverator said

@echoMateria

Brutal opinion incoming from ~3 hours of gameplay.

Setting: Rome, somewhat unique although maintaining generic fantasy elements
Interface: Painfully generic, and cluttered
Combat: Standard MMO affair, a bit unresponsive.
Graphics: Western, "realistic" but dull, animations sometimes choppy or inaccurate
Unique Aspects:
Big focus on minions (shouldn't these be called cohorts in a roman setting?), every class has underlings that follow you around, I don't know if this means end game encounters with groups of players will have dozens of these little guys running around as I mentioned I only played 3 hours.

Home: Not really unique as many games have housing systems, but you start with one here, you build up and even get quests from.

Why should you play this game instead of every other MMO?
You love the roman setting, you like pet classes, you like the idea of end game practically having armies at your disposal. You like your personal home to develop in game.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 3:38PM Vagrant Zero said

@Daverator A cohort was the basic tactical unit of a Roman legion consisting of six "centuries" or centuria of 80 men, each commanded by a centurion assisted by junior officers.

So no, cohort wouldn't be more appropriate than minion. Slave however would be entirety more appropriate, but due to reasons of political correctness there's no way that's going to happen.

For the most part though I agree with your assessment of GaH. I love Rome, truly do, but even I won't be playing this game.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:19PM bleyzwun said

I wonder how much better this is than the original? I remember trying the beta back then and it was pretty much trash.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 4:29AM Nandini said

@bleyzwun

Apparently getting a distribution deal in Germany is news now.

I'm not sure how it speaks to the quality of the game though. I experienced similar disappointment in beta testing since last August.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 1:21PM Saker said

It'll inevitably go to some kind of freemium model in no great amount of time or close down entirely. I can't possibly see any other outcome. It's ok from what I've seen playing it on and off through beta but it's just not a old-fashioned AAA title that can operate on the old box/subscription model (that's just plain a broken old model at best anyway, well past it's time).

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 9:18PM druzeltheimp said

If this were a budget priced game I'd buy it just for fun. No way I'm paying 40+ dollars though. I expect a huge price drop not long after release followed by a PTP/FTP hybrid pay system shortly thereafter.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 10:50PM Nandini said

Half of its servers were offline for 9 hours last night before anyone from Heatwave noticed. (Of course, there are only 2 servers right now, so half means one was offline.)

Pre-order customers are also starting to realize they're going to run out of content before their first month is even finished.

If you're thinking about buying this game, do yourself a favor and wait and see if Heatwave really can deliver the free content updates it has been promising.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 6:13AM BGExorcist said