Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:04PM (Unverified) said

There's a neat item in Rift called the Guise of Death which you can use to pretty much turn into a skeleton forever. It has infinite use and duration. An added bonus is that it changes what skeleton you turn in to based on your class.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:36PM Valdamar said

@(Unverified)
Yeah - there's basically two looks to the Guise of Death - the Mathosian War-Mage look for Clerics and Mages, or the dual-wielding Mathosian Blademaster look for Warriors and Rogues. It's fun being able to tank while looking like you're dual-wielding, knowing you still have the benefits of your shield stat-wise and for blocking - but it looks very odd if you're playing a melee-based cleric, as the lich-like undead form basically just shakes his staff a bit when you attack as he doesn't have proper melee animations.

Rift also has the +10% movement speed expendable/consumable items that transform you into different forms, such as an Oreling (little rock elemental), a Deep One (crab-clawed freakish Cthulhu-esque monster from the deep) or a Vampire Bat - they used to drop very commonly from Rifts, but when the Devs nerfed Rift loot they became a lot rarer. They're not that useful as speed buffs, but they are fun for the shapeshift.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:07PM Sireangelus said

You got CoH a little mixed up there, both Peacebringers and Warshades have access to both "squid" and "lobster" (Or Nova and Dwarf if you insist) forms.

Personally I find them fun but I can understand people being a touch weirded out by them. Especially in a game where you can do so much with the costume editor and then wind up in the same forms as any other WS or PB.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:37PM Caskio said

@Sireangelus I always thought they were the most fun to be able to switch roles on the fly.

Sadly I don't play anymore.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:30PM Stormwalker said

Iris Online also has "transformation cards" that drop from monsters, letting you become them, complete with their attacks, for a short time.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:46PM Tristik said

~~
And I remember SWG having costumes you could use that would turn you into iconic characters like Luke and Leia.
~~

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 3:02PM fallwind said

I will not claim to have played every game in that list, but I feel that CoH actually did shapeshifting the best with their Warshade.

Sure you "can" just shift to your DPS form and never change... and do mediocre damage and be as tough as a $1 wine glass, or into your tanking form and be fairly durable but take 20 min to kill a single spawn. But, to really shine, you need to make use of ALL your forms. The average pack has me changing forms at a minimum of 3 times, sometimes more if I need to do something unusual.

It's the only one I've played yet that really rewards the player for shifting between all their forms, rather than just picking one and never altering.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 3:23PM DeadInside said

• Half a heart
Good post. Your first sentence kills me though. If you were "true geeks" you wouldnt pay to see Xmen First Class because the actual first class is Cyclops, Jean Grey, human-looking Beast, Iceman, and Angel. Hollywood suits strike again.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 4:07PM KvanCetre said

@DeadInside

Its not a full reboot of the hollywood series. You couldn't have the real first class as they were shown to be in their 30s in 2000. Do you actually think hollywood suits would choose Angel(female) and frakin Darwin? The only problem I had was Havok was roughly 18... Which made no sense as cyclops brother.

The hollywood franchise has never claimed to be Earth 616 to my knowledge. You have to go in expecting an Ultimate type universe... Some events are the same, but not all. Sebastian Shaw was a nazi, for example.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 4:09PM KvanCetre said

@DeadInside
Also, Moira Mactaggart works for the CIA and isn't even slightly Scottish.
U mad?

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 5:33PM Rho said

"Mention Chronicles of Spellborn in Beau's presence and be prepared for the waterworks..."

He's not the only one! The Skinshifter was my absolute favorite class in that game, and I played mine up to the very last day I could. I still have it installed on my computer, in a little folder called "Graveyard," which it shares with Tabula Rasa (and a few others). ;_;

At least Anarchy Online is still... well, online. And Adventurer is one of my two favorites in that game. Come back and play AO, Justin! There's still time to roll up a new Adventurer and get those morph nanos.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 5:51PM lighttech said

posts of this type remind me that what I really would like to see in a new game is a whole player system based on us being the monsters or mythological creatures instead of the same old hack and slash PC's "grog the barbarian dude" " thump the cleric chick" and "wack the dwarf" and "DAMMM the cute sorcerer elf chick"

Id like to see Medusa's, Minotaurs , vamp's, centaurs and dragon style shape-shifter player toons among others i can't think of right now

and to a dev reading this --please steal this idea

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 6:01PM Luk said

Could it be the Mummra in his super evil form from Thundercats on the picture at the top of this article?

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 5:55AM sauceofmagic said

No AoC's Herald of Xotli or Necromancer?aw

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 12:32PM kaozz said

Everquest has some of the BEST illusion classes, I love classes that can change forms. Enchanters, bards and rogues could take the form of any race through spells and masks. I love playing these classes.

Necromancers and Shadowknights get skeletons and specters. Druids also can shift into wolf form and group members also. Magicians can shift into elementals with aa abilities.

DAOC had some really cool shape-shifting classes, banshee and necromancer among others.