Posted: Jun 16th 2011 11:48AM C Rose said

I just can't get over the graphics in this game. I've tried it twice now and the character models and combat animations are just horrendous to me. Not to say that I'm not impressed with the fact that it has so much content and longevity for a F2P title, it's just that I can't unfortunately get excited about it with so little polish.

That being said I'd like to also add that graphics do NOT make a game by any means, but they can sure turn people off it off quickly. Even with poor graphics but a good art style I can get behind, but this title unfortunately has neither, IMHO.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:00PM jeremys said

@C Rose I took all the clean screenshots from in-game that are listed in this gallery. Just skip past the handful that have the the border and logo to see them.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:06PM jeremys said

@jeremys Victim of the double-post. :P

There's also an hour-long video I took of the new starting zones at the end of this article. Some have had trouble viewing it at 1080, but 720 works(if 1080 doesn't work for you) and it still should show of the graphics well enough.

I think the graphics don't scale well in the game with the settings. If you use the in-game settings to turn the graphics down, they really show an unfinished look, but with the settings turned up, I think the graphics look really good.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:25PM C Rose said

@jeremys

Thanks bud. I actually checked out that stuff and I guess for me it's not that the environments look that bad, it's just their uninspired and the character models though are just awful. I mean their torso to leg ratio is like way off. :) It's disturbing.

But again I thank you for the time to put that stuff in for us to check out. That was really cool of you.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:26PM C Rose said

Oh btw, I also did have the video settings maxed out when I tried it out.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:27PM Sunlover said

@C Rose

I just posted a reply to something in regards to Turbine's character art and animations on the new "Pottermore" MMO-hopeful. Character art and animations are also the main reason I've stayed away from ROM as well. I just think they need to work a whole lot more on the look of their avatars and their animations, same as Turbine. I'll add one more thing here as well, I can't stand the font in both games. Both use dreadful fonts.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 12:49PM WyattEarp89 said

@Sunlover I still don't see the big deal on Lotros character visuals and combat animations. They do not bother me at all. Oh well, to each their own.

It seems RoM is making a big deal with this expansion with two cgi trailers. They do look very good and fit the RoM style well. I have not played much, but I might check the game out once the patch goes live. Something about RoM always kept me from uninstalling it.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 2:22PM NeverDeath said

@jeremys

The client has no Vertical Sync support, so no matter how good or bad your computer, screen tearing happens, which really does detract from enjoyment for anyone who cares even the tiniest bit about graphical quality (as most people, to some extent, do).

Also, the models are fairly simple in ROM, which means that no matter if your settings are maxed or minimized, the only thing that really changes are view distances, texture quality etc - but the models remain basic in geometry, and when coupled with the aforementioned lack of Vertical Sync support... It is pretty lame.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 5:26PM C Rose said

You can enable V-Sync in your card's settings to Force ON. That will override the in-game option. Also this is useful for AA as well since some of these games look horrendous without at least 2xAA.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 9:13PM NeverDeath said

Forcing Vsync on with Hardware settings does not effect the client as it has no support (duh), and even Rivatuner and D3Doverrider have no effect die to this reason. I appreciate your attempts to help but you are in this case, incorrect.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 9:13PM NeverDeath said