Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:08PM Dril said

Watching with interest to see if any non-combat stuff appears that isn't just a meaningless timewaster and/or really shallow.

A raid every patch is great if you want to ape WoW all the time, but it's high time Rift used its success to go somewhere, not to simply add on more tired content in an old tiered model.

I'm primarily looking at (good) housing here, but, really, anything that allows creativity and player freedom would be a plus.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:32PM Celestian said

• Half a heart
@Dril How many people play MMOs to play house or tea party? Not many.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:57PM Dril said

@Celestian

Sorry, you're right, they should just make MMOs more like FPSs and get rid of storytelling in multiplayer entirely (thus no story in MMOs at all), make people do the whole levelling process 10 times over to get a shitty little picture next to their name, and they reduce the need for communication so everyone over the age of 5 can join in and scream profanities at eachother for not defusing the bomb. Did I mention all MMOs would now have bombs and lazers in? Well they would, because everyone wants cool stuff like that, not housing.

mmoRPG. Roleplaying Game. You are in a WORLD. People need SHELTER.

If all you want to do is pew pew, World of Tanks and COD are right there for you.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:03PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
@Dril

hes right, no1 wants to play tea party and dress-up. your dolls are that way --> and Incarna is that way

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:07PM Vagrant Zero said

@(Unverified) No one wants to play dress up? Are you guys really this stupid and if you are you need to shut your moron mouths. EVERYONE LOVES to play dress-up in an MMO. That's the whole god damned point of the entire god damned genre, grab uber gear to dress your character up in.

Idiots.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:20PM nibbon said

@Vagrant Zero

I'll be neutral here. Yes SOME people dress up for looks, but others get gear purely for stats. A good friend of mine did the former while I did the latter.

While I find estate systems to be interesting, I actually like the tiered progression - as repetitious as they might be. Sometime there are more interesting encounters, and it is the teamwork, group dynamic, and dedication that really pique my interest in an MMO.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:26PM Integral said

@Dril I think you flew off the deep end a bit. I get you housing is cool, but goddamn, the failure to include player housing doesn't automatically mean every MMO becomes a sci-fi shooter O_o

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 7:51PM NeverDeath said

@Dril

Hate to break it to you, but everything in an MMO is designed as a "timewaster". Those things you refer to as "timewasters" are really "content", though perhaps not the type you, specifically would prefer.

Housing could be rightfully seen as a "timewaster" by a player if that was not something that interested them, and they technically wouldn't be wrong - but to someone else, it could be seen as "content". It's all in the point of view, if a person believes it is something positive or negative, that will heavily effect what they ultimately consider a specific gameplay element to be.

I don't see the point of housing if they're going to instance it (A metagame for RPers and something that offers further immersion but is totally disconnected from the game-world sounds entirely counter-intuitive), and for them to make it open-world when given the limited size of the world and the fact that 98% of it is covered in hostile NPCs, is unlikely.

TERA will supposedly be introducing non-instanced player housing, but that's in their initial design... It would take a lot of changes to the current system design in order to implement such a system into RIFT, and I'm not sure if the Dev team will ever find it to be a fiscally beneficial investment of resources to develop such a feature.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 4:38AM Haldurson said

@Dril
I'd love to see a lot of different things:
1. the ability to craft wardrobe and other vanity items -- maybe mechanical companions and other items.
2. With housing, I'd like to see the majority of items be obtained (again) through crafting. Maybe even have display cases where you can place trophies from various achievements, drops from bosses and rare spawns, and so on. You can even have mannequins to display armor sets, etc. (granted,these ideas come from user-created oblivion mods, but still... a good idea is a good idea)
3. I'd love to see fishing and cooking as viable professions. But only if they do it in a fun and useful way.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:16PM Protheus said

I bought the game 4 days ago - started with good hope. The game is nice - rift invasions are good fun - but the LFG tool is just @#$%.

For 4 days in a row it did not put me in any group at all. The warfront PvP battlegrounds works well - that is fun indeed but the LFG instance tools is just not working.

Soo lets hope when I get a character transfer I will move to a beter shard as mine sucks

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:27PM Meurik said

@Protheus The fact that the LFG tool didn't put you in any group, is not the fault of Trion. It's the fault of the players. LFG works great at max level since there are more people actively playing at 50, then there are at levels 1-49.

Blame your fellow players for not queueing up when they play on their lower level characters/alts.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:30PM Celestian said

@Protheus LFG needs to be cross-server.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:59PM Dril said

@Celestian

No it doesn't.

Judging from your other comment: you really do just want things to be instant, easy, and in-your-face don't you?

Cross-server ruins communities. One of Rift's big positives is it doesn't have diluted server communities (yet.)

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 4:26PM Graill440 said

@Meurik

Yet another reason not to have levels or stats in a game. (Grin)

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:32PM Mikkhail said

i juuuuuuuuust let my Rift sub expire.

It really is a good game ... really solid game play, character progression ... all the theme park amenities ... I think Rift really has the legs to go a while.

But ... After years and years of WoW I just need something different. I wish Trion well and hope that they continue to prosper ... but I'm just too burned out on the WoW fantasy MMO model

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:41PM j1083 said

@Mikkhail

Pretty much my feelings exactly.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:16PM hami83 said

@Mikkhail That was my problem too. And all I ask is simple things like player or guild housing, possibly a casino or something and just other things that isn't grinding rep or gear at end game.

I don't even care if rifts take over my housing. I'll fight for it! lol

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:17PM SocksForYou said

@Mikkhail
Ugh...me too.

I loved a lot of things about Rift but ultimately it's a pretty conventional fantasy MMO and I'm just completely burnt out on that.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 6:47PM eyeball2452 said

@Mikkhail

Just wanted to second this. Rift is a solid game and worth trying, but it was a 2.5 month investment for me. The content isn't emotionally engaging, but is well designed. In the end, it basically boils down to the same model that every other MMO uses.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:35PM Valdur said

Even if 1.3 seems promising I'm not re subbing.The more the thing change the more they stay the same,another gear grind.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014