Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:06PM BigAndShiny said

• 1 heart
Rift. Now the hype has died, I want a reviewer to finally describe how EXACTLY this is the biggest so called 'WoW Clone' ever (and yes, it could be EQ clone or whatever as well, but im going to stick with wow)

Maybe they can describe how smaller studios can build games with double the quests, 4 times the world size, flying mounts, ships etc etc for half the price, because that would be interesting as well.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:18PM Luxxicon said

I have been tempted to try Warhammer many times but have never done it. Beau's write-ups have me currently enjoying Ryzom, so if you were so kind to check out Warhammer and let me know... :-)

Luxx

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:24PM aurickle said

I voted EQ2 only because I'm evil and given the stuff Eliot said he might never leave once he's done!

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:50PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@aurickle

EQ2 has a list of features that does sound like exactly what I'd love, but the game's creative has always kept me away from it. I wouldn't consider pushing me to actually get over that and play the game to be precisely evil. ^_~

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:25PM Borick said

Global Agenda AND Rift.

Rift will give you a better feel for the latest spin on DIKU-derived mechanics. I also think that Rift makes the 'tired old dogs' of MMO gameplay stand out as obvious blocks to future iterations of the genre.

You should play Global Agenda to experience the 'shooter' spin on PVE instances and raids. It may not be a game you spend a lot of time in, but I think that the defense raids are a great example of what MMOs need to do with action mechanics.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:25PM The Minn said

Allods.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:31PM kaelidancer said

Yeah, had to go for EQ2 - this one's always interested me, though I've never tried it myself.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 4:09PM Nef said

@kaelidancer You can give EQ2X a go for free, if you want to try it first-hand.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 10:55AM kaelidancer said

@Nef I do need to do just that, but between Anarchy Online, Ryzom, and (now) Spiral Knights, I'm not sure where I could squeeze it in! :D

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:34PM JuliusSeizure said

I guess RIFT or GA would be the ones I'd be willing to join you in, which is the most important consideration for my vote. Not sure which way to vote, though.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:41PM (Unverified) said

I suggest you play WARHAMMER ONLINE! It is such an epic game, with visceral PVP and one of the most extensive PVE setups in all of mmo history. There are literally 6 entirely different progression paths, one per race , for you to enjoy- or you can mix and match and see all content on one character.

I recommend the ORC /Goblin race, as its a superfun race with some great classes. Also, the high elves have a great journey as well.

The MAIN REASON I am asking you to play WAR is because the devs have started to DESTROY the game. IDK what they have been thinking over the last 6mos-1yr, but everything has been FAIL after the endless trial. RVR and vanity packs? COME ON! WAR will always be one of my favorite games and I'll always go back to it for the amazing pvp and breathtakingly fun anf entertaining PVE(most underrated part of game). - BUT, the game will die over the next few years because the devs are absolute morons and they dont promote AT ALL. WAR could have MILLIONS of players, but because they have only promoted to the whiney, boased vocal minorty of the mmo community, its gotten a bad rap.

PLAY WAR and you will absolutely LOOOVE it - try to see and enjoy all the great content you can before its too late.

If not WAR, try ANY of the above games EXCEPT for champions online(its already destroyed since it went f2p) and global agena (great game to play once in a while for a few hrs, but thats all)and rune of crapic (good content, HORRRRIBLE presentation - literally, the premiere WOW/eq clone)

Allods, Eq2, RIFT, etc... ALL ARE AMAZING and very different games

GL!

Posted: Jun 18th 2011 12:18PM Ratham said

@(Unverified) Let me tell you a story.

EA forced Mythic to rush out Warhammer to be out in time to compete with WoW's Wrath of the Lich King expansion.

Due to massive bugs and the game not being polished/finished, people moaned and whined it sucked, hence it died.

Now with SWTOR coming out of the box from EA as well, and the merge of Bioware and Mythic, EA has taken all the "good" people from the Warhammer team (mostly all the pvp people) and thrown them onto SWTOR, and has gutted the majority of remaining devs at Mythic along with cutting off financial support.

Mythic doesnt have the money or manpower anymore to make all these fantastic updates they promise(d) thanks to EA who has learned their lesson and is actually letting BioWare take their time on SWTOR rather than pushing it out. If EA was going to do to SWTOR what they did to WAR, you'd be playing it since December when CATA came out.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:45PM The Minn said

Can't do RIFT. Played it for 5 months (beta'd it) and...its not a bad game, at all...but.....i didnt feel any immersion, it copied from every other MMO (I know WoW did too), I mean I can write a 2 page paper if you want but RIFT, ehh....if they ever figure out how to make my 8 gig 465 superclock gtx pc to run it (which is over the requirements) then i'll return but i always get 25 fps, no matter what.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:46PM HokieKC said

I voted Rift. You never played it, most of the launch hype is gone, and several major patches will be available. Good time to actually write about it.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 4:05PM Dumac said

I was gonna troll and vote WAR... surprised it's second place O.o

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 4:15PM Pewpdaddy said

I'd like to see the state of Warhammer currently. That game really had some promise for me.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 4:51PM Khaiser Soze said

I like how he left out ffxiv. I was going to vote that just so he could feel my pain.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:47PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Khaiser Soze

I left off FFXIV for the same reason I left off FFXI, CoH, and GW. Games I have played extensively and am still playing don't really fit this particular theme.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:51PM JuliusSeizure said

@Khaiser Soze

Uh, you know he plays that quite a lot, right? He even writes a column about it and used it for the screenshot at the top of the article. It seems it may even be his favourite game, or at least the one he identifies with.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:49PM Fabius Bile said

if you have played WoW, dont bother with Rift.

hell, if you ave played WoW, you have played nearly all games released in the past 5 years.

try DarkFall for something different. thats really it.

depressing, I know...