Posted: Jun 15th 2011 1:27PM Lenn said

I remember playing my first character in CoH (it was my first MMO), who was a dark/dark defender. It took forever to get to that mystical level 14 to finally be able to fly. On subsequent characters it got easier and quicker, partly because I knew those first levels so well, and partly because those characters were NOT dark/dark defenders. Anyway, getting your travel power was a milestone, like getting your first mount in WoW (before they nerfed that, too).

When I first played Champions I was blown away by the travel powers. Swinging is such a cool way to see the sights, and flight isn't just flight, there are several versions of it to take, making it so much easier and cooler to fit the travel power in a character concept. CO also got teleportation right. It always felt so clunky in CoH.

Last year I went back to CoH for a bit to check out the expansion. I even got the boosters. I respecced my scrapper, who always used to have superjump, into using the fitness pool, ninja run and a few inherent archetype powers to move around, and it was totally viable. His speed easily approached the baseline speed of the superspeed travel power, and even though ninja run and hurdle combined won't make you jump as high as superjump does, it did the job very well. The booster packs are a very cool way to completely bypass picking any travel power and still be able to quick-travel all over the place.

Back to Champions though: the travel powers are not all perfect. Tunneling, although incredibly cool, is extremely limiting. You can't tunnel up a building, for instance, making it one of three purely horizontal travel powers, the other two being superspeed and acrobatics. Though the latter gives you somewhat increased jump height, it won't make you jump up buildings in Millennium City with any ease. On the bright side, you can pick a second travel power at level 35, so you can still get your concept right without foregoing mobility.

Playing CoH now, after having put quite a bit of time into Champions, makes me realize more and more how outdated it's started to feel. From the slow combat (the first few levels is essentially waiting for your powers to come off cooldown while the bad guys pummel away at you) to the travel powers to the customization options.

I'll always have a special place in my heart for CoH for being my first MMO, but it's not a game anymore that I could see myself putting any significant time into.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 2:02PM rochrist said

@Lenn
Interestingly, I absolutely despise the CO travel powers. They always feel clumsy and slow when compared to CoH.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 1:49PM (Unverified) said

I love COH, but the sad thing is that there arent many travel powers AT ALL. Now COH does have more travel powers than DCUO, but the DCUO travel powers are more versatile and 10000x more amazing.

What COH devs need to do is create travel powers for the other 80% of characters that dont just fly, leap or teleport. Dont me me started of superspeed! lol

Most characters will pick flying or superspeed and then be forced to change their original concept because having a batman or punisher type that flys is ridiculous.

Also, coh needs to get rid of the effects of flying and make them optional. Having jetpack sounds and EXHAUST coming from a mutant hero that flys is a little weird.

Given, its an old game and an AMAZING one at that. My vote is for the devs to go anf redo a lot of the little things in the game , instead of only focusing on new content. Having a game where the little things dont ruin it will bring in more players.

I do loooove COH and over time I think we all look past the little problems and use our imagination to enjoy the game as a whole - and its an EPIC and AMAZING game! But they really need to get a REAL budget from NCSOFT or the game will die.

The only REAL competiton for coh is DCUO, since CO has become a f2p waste(was amazing at launch, however)

Get crACKING DEVS!

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:44PM Stormwalker said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified) Wow, your opinions are so wrong it's funny. DCUO is no competition for CoH. Never has been. And CO is definitely not a waste. It's far better now than it ever was at launch.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:01PM starka1 said

@Stormwalker

Did you read what you just wrote?

"Your opinions are wrong"

Please try not belittling people next time and just say you disagree. You can then have a grown-up conversation.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 1:29AM Stormwalker said

@starka1 I'm well aware of what I wrote. It was a joke. Sorry if you didn't get it.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:04PM J Brad Hicks said

Actually, in City of Heroes, the minimum level for travel powers, especially for villains, is level 1 ... if someone hands you the 10,000 infamy. Skip the tutorial. As soon as you exit the helicopter out of prison, turn around and talk to the helicopter pilot again, hop a flight to Grandville South. Walk up the ramp, past customs, and talk to the Jetpack Vendor. For heroes, it's a little more difficult; not only a longer walk but a much more dangerous one, sneaking past or getting someone to teleport you past a lot of level 45+ enemies. But it's still doable, still at level 1.

I bring up Jetpacks because they're handed out like candy, now, and they make going without a travel power of any kind entirely viable. You get a free one at level 6 if you do a Mayhem or Safeguard mission. You get another free one as a level 10+ hero if you do the Positron Task Force. You get two more free ones as a level 15+ or 20+ villain, if you do the right story arcs. And always, once you use up the 90 to 120 minutes of in-flight "fuel" time, it's just another measly 10k inf to refuel at the jetpack vendor.

All of which gives you a full 3D flight, use anywhere, 45 MPH flying mount that can be used at any level.

Other MMOs take it for granted that between the contact and the mission, you have to walk, and you have to kill everything that tries to kill you between point A and point B. City of Heroes lets you do this ... but neither requires nor encourages it. At ANY level.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:43PM Stormwalker said

CoH always amazed me with the travel powers. The first time I took Flight, I had a ball just zipping around Steel Canyon, swooping between skyscrappers. I'm flyyyyyyyiiiiiing! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 4:54PM Heraclea said

Actually, in the game's Golden Age (Issues 1 - 4) at least some characters like certain tankers and scrappers had the leisure to take two or maybe three travel powers. Resistance powers were so good that you didn't have to take that many of them to get all the damage mitigation you actually needed. You still had to take Fitness, of course. But there was no need to supplement your defenses with the Fighting power pool. In her golden age build, my main there had Super Speed, Hover, and Teleport Foe.

The need for vertical movement is important, though. All of my characters will have either Super Jump or Fly. Teleportation is just too fussy, and Super Speed won't get you over anything you can't jump.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:12PM Shazzie said

@Heraclea
Agreed! My Tanker had Super Speed and Super Jump, which you can run at the same time. I was always the first to get anywhere, hah.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 5:30PM StClair said

Back in the single-digit issues, long before Ninja Run or combined train/ferry lines or Ouroboros or jet packs being given out as door prizes for Mayhem and Safeguard Missions, there were the Taxibots. The original idea behind these black-and-yellow checkered robots was to quickly move players between the Green Line station (north Steel Canyon) and the Yellow Line (south Steel Canyon) with teleports, speeding up transfers between the "inner" and "outer" zones of the city. The Taxibots soon took on other functions, like bringing lowbies to the iCon in Steel Canyon so they could change their costumes and returning them to safe areas, and saving them from having to run across the deadly hazard course of the original Hollows to their mission doors (often deep in the zone).

These days there's much less call for Taxibots - the problems and inconveniences they were created to mitigate have gotten official fixes, and some would even say they're obsolete. But I'm proud to have been served with the PTS since its inception - a "guild" dedicated entirely to assisting other players, for no reward other than their thanks and the occasional tip.

"Paragon Taxi Service - Helping Heroes Get There Faster"

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 6:16PM Lenn said

@StClair He, I remember that. I had a taxi bot character as well. Used to get people to mission doors in The Hollows.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 9:42PM Jeromai said

I think it's fine as is. Basically the game has made it perfectly optional to even choose travel powers any more, because a) ninja run/beast run, b) flight packs everywhere, c) zone/mission teleporters of various flavors.

I also used to get by perfectly well with sprint and a /SR character with quickness - if I headed straight for the mission door, I'd reach faster than the 1-2 stragglers with a travel power who dilly-dallied.

Thus, taking travel powers in builds is more concept or lazy convenience. One is free to make room for zero, one, two or three travel powers. Not needed fitness has already freed up enough powers, freeing up travel powers would result in even less meaningful choices of powers in builds, you'd just take everything.

Of course, I do have the vet reward bonus of being able to pick travel powers at level 6 without a precursor skill. I think that was the main issue. Feeling forced to take a gimp power to get to the travel power desired. Hover? Urgh. (I hear they tweaked it a little these days though.) I wasn't crazy about combat jumping, though some were. I preferred hurdle, couldn't get used to the inertia of CJ. I nearly always went with hasten since it was a no-brainer must-take, and ended up speeding everywhere as a consequence. But having room for a second fly or super jump is now much easier.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 1:00AM (Unverified) said

@Tempes Magus

Mostly because I feel that the choice to sacrifice one power for another makes meaningful choice in the minigame of build design.

If everything "extra" is given as a freebie, then everyone will end up picking a very standard set of all the powerset powers and possibly all the non-useless pool/epic powers. It's not like there are so many to choose from already.

I wouldn't mind seeing them de-linked to their level 6 requisites like the vet reward allows. But choosing whether your hero can fly, or superjump, or superspeed, or throw a fireball or stealth, and in what combinations, is to me more interesting and less simplistic, than, ok, this hero can either fly/superjump/superspeed (choose one only) and yes, he throws fireballs and everything in the fire set.

In the former case, you can have a hero that flies and can superspeed and stealth (essentially going invis) but he gives up a fireball to do it. Or you can have a hero that just picks one travel power and can do the fireballing and sleathing. Or he can have fly and jump and fireball but not stealth. Or he has crazy flexibility of options of movement (three travel powers) but he gives up a fire power - some would call that arrangement gimped, but it's a choice. Or some give up the standard 3 or 4 travel powers, walk/run and buff up on other powers.

In the latter case, if travel powers (or at least one) become inherent, then everyone takes the walk/run/use free travel power, buff up on other powers route. Meaningful choice is lost.

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 1:01AM (Unverified) said

Great, now I've become Unverified.

Massively, a pox on your comments system!

This is Jeromai btw. :)

Posted: Jun 16th 2011 7:28PM Daemodand said

Compare the movement in CoH to most any other MMO, especially those where you are "stuck" to the ground and jumping is just a meaningless animation. The movement in CoH is so fast and smooth!

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 12:51AM GMax said

@Tempes Magus I like the idea of introducing travel powers at a lower level and IMO level 4 would be just right and then allow for significant upgrades. What's frustrating is that the only travel power that does it all is flight. Superspeed is strictly horizontal I like DCUO's take of being able to run up walls but can COH but taught that new trick? Super jump, way cool but you can't exactly jump around in the Shadow Shard and Grandville is pretty tough for jumpers past level 45. Teleport? Too freaking costly on endurance. As for the low powered travel powers I love beast and ninja run but they're just a bit more vertically friendly than SS. Steam jump? Loved it... for the 30 seconds it lasted, why only temporary I don't even bother with it now. I think sprucing up the abilities of the powers would be a welcome tweak afterwards you can work on the bling effects like jetpacks, jump packs, energy wings, surfing on a flying disc, springs on the feet etc. Just throwing that out there.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM