Posted: Jun 15th 2011 1:00AM kdognumba1 said

I remember this game, I wanted it so bad! I used to play FFXI and PSO religiously and was die'n to get my hands on this one but unfortunately this one never came out.... was one of the most disappointing times in gaming, a not very nice blow after the whole Combat Upgrade for SWG that nerfed the game, which was another game that I played :(

Its a shame companies lock up their consoles like this..... Its only hurting the industry and making the PC market more viable with each generation of bad decisions by console companies.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 1:30AM bulldozerftw said

Such an old game to think about. I mean hey if its still lying around some F2P company could pick it up and convert it to pc probably rather easy since the xbox is very close to a pc anyway.

But yeah microsoft has tons of money to throw around as they please.
They just dropped like 8 BILLON DOLLARS. I don't know about you but I've been watching gamebreaker and hear about the known performance and other type of bugs from several people. The program was open sourced.

Another open source one will pop up soon enough to compete with it. Mumble another open sourced program which isn't monitored by the government is already becoming a popular alternative to ventrillo. Which is also I think believed to preform better. But it's a pure voice program and doesn't offer video calls worldwide and such. Microsoft essential paid all that money for the community and apparently it has a bunch of applications they could apply that application to.

I bet they were probably struggling alot with the voice communication for that mmo. Even today i think most games only use about 15k/s not including voice communication. PC programs generally have better quality but for mainstream consoles the quality is much lower. Xbox 360's quality does prove to be better currently console wise.
Every 3 years they expect us to drop 300 bucks on an operating system that progressively gets slower with more features. Then on top of that it takes several years to patch up all the security holes their programmers missed to see.

Kind of like how alot of recent game releases had tons of major performance bugs in them probably because the programmers were forced to work with lack of sleep. Apparently most game designers don't get paid overtime but they're forced to near impossible deadlines. The next operating system coming up might be slightly different to fill the hole of their no longer supported windows xp which in my opinion is the best operating system. Other companies like ea plan to not support xp either with the release of battlefield 3.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 1:32AM bulldozerftw said

But yeah microsoft has tons of money to throw around as they please.
They just dropped like 8 BILLON DOLLARS on skype. *typo*

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 1:59AM Cirocco said

I remember reading somewhere that the Level 5 devs inspiration for True Fantasy LIve Online is Ultima Online. In fact, they were avid fans and players of Ultima Online when it first launched.

While I was waiting for True Fantasy Live Online's release, I was playing Earth and Beyond online. Oh well...the rest is history...

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 3:16AM Space Cobra said

I remember reading about this game and spitting, knowing that if M$ could ever launch it, they'd have many more players for there system. (Of course, they still have many more players now! :P ).

This actually seems like a lite-MMO on par with Wizard101; not a bad thing. I would feel there would be some reticence if it did not have keyboard support, but I'd have to play the game.

And yeah, everyone was so polite in their speech in that trailer, I ain't seeing that happening in everyday gameplay, even in Japan.

It was interesting because M$ was farming many concepts of MMOs out and ultimately not satisfied with any and pulling the plug (even the Cryptic/Marvel/M$ venture). They really are "control freaks".

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 4:18AM Wisdomandlore said

If anyone has ever played Dark Cloud 2, easily one of the PS2's best games, then they'll probably know that the MMO genre missed out on what probably would have been one of the greatest sandbox titles ever with TFLO. Level 5, especially back then, was all about empowering the player to create. Although it would have been funny for PC MMOs to become more and more themepark, but then have an incredible sandbox title on Xbox.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 8:21AM Dracain said

For those interested in this game, maybe White Knight Chronicles would be a good thing to try, it was supposed to be in the same vein, and it is also by LEVEL-5, it is rumored to run on a similar engine, and it almost certainly uses the same character creator (though you might wanna try WKC2 because it comes with the first game on the second games improved engine)

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 12:43PM Arkanaloth said

I was seriously looking forward to this game, I was going to get an XBL gold account just for it. Then it was cancelled.

years later I still don't have an XBL gold account, just don't see a reason.

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014