Posted: Jun 14th 2011 1:24PM bobfish said

Having not played the game I can't say for sure, but I would expect optimal class builds to go mainly up one of the three trees for an Advanced class.

So whilst the Sage has an offensive/debuff tree, if it wanted to be a good healer it would have to go up the healing tree (Seer) and spend most of its points there.

I don't see this being an issue for the class to be honest, a well made Consular isn't going to be any more versatile than any other class, it is just going to have more variation between different Consulars.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 1:51PM Vundal said

bioware has said that the game isnt a hard trinity game. (look at the idea of a rouge tank-thats a departure)

but i always get a little iffy when it comes to healers. if they arent done right they end to be pretty boring.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:01PM Interitus said

@Vundal But it's not really a rogue tank. It's more rogue or tank, depending how you spec it. You can be more like a rogue, or an avoidance tank (similar to monks in other games). If you put points into both you'd end up being more of an off-tank then a full tank.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 9:11PM eyeball2452 said

@Vundal

I think we need to re-define what the trinity is if it isn't the classic tank/dps/healer group role combination. That's exactly what TOR looks like it's heading towards, but that's not a bad thing. It appears that different classes will fill those roles in different ways, which is fine by me.

Second, each class doesn't have to be the optimal solution for each role. As an example, Inquisitors filled the dps role just fine in Rift despite not being the min/max group option. MMOs will never be perfectly balanced and while each class/role needs to be effective, they generally doesn't need to be perfect to complete the content.

What I'm interested to know is if the game is going to be a breath of fresh air or more of the same. Rift was good for about 35+ levels and got stale because it never created an emotional connection between the player and the game world. The end game was fun, but basically the same content model that we've seen for 8 years. I highly recommend trying Rift, but it basically boiled down to a 2.5 month game for me.

My hope is that TOR can provide something a little more interesting than WoW/LotoR/Rift. The story is a step in the right direction like the UK PCGamer guys said, but the gameplay has to be interesting too and it looks like there are currently some issues there that need to be worked out.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 1:55PM ApathyCurve said

• Half a heart
Am I the only person who really wishes they'd make a "no Jedi" server -- or two? Simply imagining a game full of 15-year old "Jedi Knights" and 30-something, basement-dwelling "Sith Lords" makes me shiver and convulse with nausea.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 1:59PM Zethe said

@ApathyCurve

I had a feeling the majority of the population would all be jedi's called luke1124(ect) but most people i've spoken to seem to be picking other classes, a few even giving the same reason i have: not wanting to be a jedi like everyone else.

Plus, troopers and bounty hunters just look cool.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:02PM IronChu said

@ApathyCurve

Gotta understand, that *is* the Old Republic era. Leaving your house and tripping over a lightsaber.

If you had a server with no Jedi or Sith, the game itself wouldn't make any sense, because the whole point of the era is Jedi vs Sith.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:28PM (Unverified) said

Presence of Mind, hmm where have I heard that before? Not the first time I've seen abilities similar to that game. Not that I mind, I'm used to that sort of thing.

I can imagine it now: You're looking for a healer and tank so you whisper a JC to see if they're either or and get the "Nope, I'm DPS" response. Repeat ad infinitum. Hehe. :P

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:28PM Space Cobra said

Consular is probably gonna be my third class, or #3 on my "main character" list; I plan to do BH and Smuggler more.

There does seem to be MANY passive skills, especially in the early levels and not too much attacking.

You mention for the Sage class about not being able to damage and heal, given the limitations of the UI (and lack of add-ons). The first new active power does seem to be a heal, wherein Shadow seems to be an attack.

I tend to like to try to play as a "battle cleric", either being a tank or just heal-spamming as I fight. ATM, not sure if I can pull this off given what I see here.

I think you are probably dead-on in relating Inquisitor=Consular, more or less (as the other classes have similar equals across the Imperial/Republic lines). Given that, we probably can look at the two Inquisitor videos for some clues that came out only a week or so ago (the advanced class reveal and the recent walkthrough of Tatooine doing the quest with Dallas narrating).

Now, speculating here: The lightning strikes of that Inquisitor probably is the reverse of a Consular/Sage healing. (You know, old DnD. Paladin vs. Anti-Paladin. The evil version only causes pain while the good version heals?) There may be crossover abilities, because we see the Inquisitor in that video has a shield that can absorb damage. I feel the Sage SHOULD have that shield, which would count as a defense buff and not so much as de-buffing. I can see the Sage as a debuffer, but if that's their only choice of powers, I also can see them getting extremely beat-up (unless they spam-heal themselves). This would make it a VERY hard class to play, especially solo (even with a companion). So, there needs to be a self-buff or even a group one that includes the Sage.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 9:20AM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra

Unfortunately, I think the Consular and Inquisitor follow much more similar lines, to the point of just being light/dark facsimiles of each other. Instead of Lightning being juxtaposed as anti-healing, to me it seems more like:

Lightning Telekinetic attacks
Dark Healing Healing

Both have a ranged DPS/healing spec and a stealth DPS/tanking spec.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:59PM goatfoam said

All of the classes are hybrid classes in a hard trinity game, with the exception of the Jedi Knight and the Sith Warrior. All six of the other classes can heal, tank or DPS.

So I'm not too sure why the poor Consular got singled out as having the potential to be underpowered when it's in the same boat as three quarters of the classes in the entire game. Poor Consular!

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 3:00PM goatfoam said

@goatfoam Oops, my bad. The Agent and Smuggler can't tank. Half the classes then.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 3:47PM Shardie said

Interesting TOR fact, John Riccitiello, olde time leaky bucket CEO of EA, suggests that the beta will ramp up a gear at the end of the month. Based on how well that testing goes, depends on if TOR is out in 6 weeks or 6 months.

Darth Hater as source

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 4:10PM Arkanaloth said

@Shardie

interesting, where did you read that? I know a few people who would love that kind of news about TOR.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 4:11PM Arkanaloth said

@Shardie

darth hater? that a website or a person or what?.. Google time, but if you could link me the article I'd appreciate it.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 4:37PM Mikkhail said

@Arkanaloth
Here is the Darth Hater article ... don't know what it's worth one way or the other.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 4:17PM (Unverified) said

Jedi Consular Shadow Tank

Sounds amazing. Hope it's not confined to off-tank nonsense.

I thought a Sage would be a fun caster, but I don't ever want to be asked to heal. Ever.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 4:28PM Zax19 said

As a double-bladed lightsabre user from Star Wars Jedi Academy, consular will probably be my first character. I’m really happy tanking and dpsing will be possible as I feared I would have to play a caster dps or healer and thus having the lightsabre just for show.

As I've talked about it in "The Hybrid" article, all the classes have the potential to fulfil different roles. So it comes down to:

Will more roles available mean lower performance of all of them?
Will you be able to get the highest skill in one tree while investing into the others and thus having more than one role?
Will the hardcore content require complete dedication to one tree or will it be so well done that certain "niche groups" will be able to complete it to?
Will there be a casual difficulty mode for majority of the content which will allow you to complete it with a group of 50:50 specced people?

I don't think it's a problem that consular has several possible roles as long as you end up on par with more dedicated classes while speccing strictly into one role. This is the issue I have with WoW. I love playing druid, but the classes became bland (way too similar to each other) while the druid became subpar in every spec, maybe except for restoration (healer).

I used to tank as a druid and I'd like to tank as a consular shadow. I'd be ok with being a supbar tank if the utility I'll get instead is useful in a group (with some effort I and my group members can combine our powers to achieve performance similar to a group of one-role-only characters). Or if I perform better than other tanks only in certain circumstances and vice versa.

Other than I think one-role-only specs should be equal regardless how many roles can a class take on since one advanced class should allow for 2 different roles for every character and you're probably operating within the advanced class, not the whole class. It’s irrelevant if one class has only 2 possible roles and other class has 3 while what matters is how many roles can an advanced class have at one given point of time/within the limits of rescpeccing.

PS: Rogue tank has always been an absolutely logical spec, it’s just that modern gamers lack the experience with other games.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 6:22PM (Unverified) said

Here is a question. Will the shadow have to use a double bladed saber? I imagine that there is a way to play without using one, but how badly would it hurt your character to play as a shadow, but avoid the double blade.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 9:27PM Laurs said

@(Unverified)

Shadow without double bladed lightsaber would be like an unarmed rogue.. and by that i mean a rogue with no arms.