Posted: Jun 13th 2011 11:48AM donweel said

Traps and the rogue play element that implies really add to the D&D fantasy immersion of a game. Exploration does as well but also adds value to the game as extra content and something to do when you are not raiding or just want some casual play-time. Puzzles can be fun and add an extra game-play element but should not be over done. There was one dungeon in DDO where the entire room was a puzzle, but it was a bonus and not required. It was boggling to see the first time.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 1:34PM Space Cobra said

And mark me for a "Yes!"

There are just so many creative things one could be doing in an MMO. Not only exploring and many related options, but puzzle solving and much more. There is nothing wrong with good, old fashioned killing, but the more variety one has in one game, the less likely players get bored and eventually quit.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 1:57PM AlienFanatic said

Abso-frickin'-lutely! I'm tired of every patch being a raid or dungeon. I want more continents to explore and quests to perform. The most fun in MMOs, for me, tends to be the leveling and outdoor adventuring. Running tunnels is only fun for a short time.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 1:59PM SocksForYou said

I like how Eve handles exploration and allows you to scan down hidden sites. You don't always find the most exciting stuff but I still enjoy it.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:11PM ApathyCurve said

One of my favorite activities in EVE is finding grav sites (hidden asteroid belts), both in normal a space and in wormhole space. Then I mine them. It's profitable and doesn't involve "killing the inhabitants" -- other than those pesky belt rats who show up occasionally.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:24PM Stormwaltz said

I would love an MMG in which:

1) Mountains are treated as potential vista points to scale, rather than walls to funnel players along content rail lines.

2) The landscape is filled with random interactive objects. Apple trees that drop consumable fruit. Wells you can draw water from. Cows you can tip over or stampede. Collectible seashells along the shores, and random messages in a bottle with bits of lore or quest hooks. Balls that characters can kick around. Stones you can skip across ponds, or maybe even free-throw to make a noise that distracts/attracts mobs.

To me, immersion is about how many ways I can find to make the world react to what I do.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:24PM BarGamer said

I would love it if once you kill all the enemies, the game gives you some small incentive to go back and smell the roses. Or some kind of cinematic pan of the area, before, after, or both.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:27PM CassSmith said

I love the complexity of DDO's dungeons in comparison to most other MMO's the problem, dungeon wise that most are having, is short of loot and sometimes quests the only reason to go in is for lewt and maybe xp 0.o This sort of attitude adds nothing to the game, wheres the storyline and living world you're part of? I'll have to agree with others also, interactive objects would be great, such as bookcases that actually have books and can be interacted with etc, the thing that comes to mind is EQ2 once having objects that were lying around starting quests, if you didnt look at the objects in the room and interact with them you'd completely miss quests. World exploration is also great *however* I will add that fog of war is great and almost essential for this, for those not in every hour of the day on one char, so we can keep track of where we've been.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:29PM Jorev said

Anything that requires a gamer to use their intellect and figure things out on their own is a positive. In the old days of classic EQ, we were thrown into a virtual world without direction or explanation of game mechanics.
The world was a sandbox and we had both the freedom to discover and the need to do so, unlike the pathetic theme park designs of today where one is led around by the nose and stupid unrealistic floating icons and mini maps with arrows highlight the way.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:30PM Haldurson said

I love when there are opportunities to explore and I like certain TYPES of puzzles (the kind that you can solve through logic and intelligence, rather than trial and error, or good reflexes).

There's more than one kind of exploration though. There's open-world exploration, which I thoroughly enjoy. The other kind of exploration involving maze-like dungeons, no I don't exactly enjoy getting lost in a death trap.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 8:00PM Nepentheia said

Oh, most definitely yes, considering its THE thing I enjoy doing most in an MMO!

As for puzzles, yah, I'm a Myst kinda girl, so anything that has awesome exploration and puzzles is always A Good Thing. :-)

Usually, the only reason I level in games is so I can more easily explore certain areas without being molested, mangled and mutilated to death by the ever-present MOBs in an MMO.

Some of the best experiences I've had in MMOs have been in late alpha stages before an area was populated by MOBs and I was able to explore freely without interference. It is such a treat to be able to putter around and explore every nook and cranny of a game-world--well, at least it was in older MMOs before world building became a means to an end for quest goal locations and became void of the concept of creating the whole of a game-world. Hopefully future titles will go back to the concept of creating an entire game-world and not just quest goal locations like world building has become more recently.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 4:59AM Borick said

If exploration means a prettier static playground, then no.

I want vistas and travel, sure, but for all of that I want ownership of what I discover. I don't want to explore just because I want to see the pretty scenery and play adventurer. The world needs to be filled with non-linear things to do and (particularly) build.

Posted: Jun 15th 2011 9:49AM WampaSauce said

Yes, please. That is all.

Posted: Aug 25th 2011 9:19PM Lumin said

Yes, I love puzzles and anything that breaks from the MMO mold of "go kill/loot stuff."