Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:17PM (Unverified) said

Sounds about what I was expecting. I'm sure it'll have its fans and be a good game for what it is, much like Rift. Rift however taught me that I simply no longer enjoy the WoW model, regardless of any bells and whistles added to it, so I'm content in skipping this one.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 3:17PM Thestache said

@(Unverified)

Sadly this is what I was afraid of, and like you I have the same feeling. Actually quit RIFT, went and played Forsaken World, it's free and has the same type of gameplay.

So it looks like I will skip this as well, now to just wait and see what TSW and GW2 are like

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:07PM Germaximus said

@Thestache lol You should try Eden Eternal. You can change your class any time you want.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 5:57PM eyeball2452 said

@(Unverified)

Totally agree. I enjoyed WoW and got burnout on it after a while. I played Rift for 2 months (up Oracle in GS) and enjoyed the experience.

I'll probably pick up TOR, but if it's very similar, it'll just be a 2-3 month diversion too. That's not a bad thing, it just is when there's little progression in a relatively stale genre of games.

Maybe I'll be surprised and stick around longer. Love reading previews, but it's impossible to know how you feel about a game unitl you get a chance to pick it up.

Lastly, thanks to Massively for the consistent and honest opinions given all the hype.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 10:05AM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

It's for those exact reasons that i will be trying TERA when it comes out. Much more action oriented combat system, some cool political systems, gorgous world. I think it's going to differ a little from the cookie cutter MMO's we see now.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:19PM Germaximus said

Its constantly disappointing seeing how much a game thats taken 6+ years to make has the same old gameplay. Its boring at this point.

It looks beautiful but i am still very sad. Ill play this game if i get it for free.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:24PM The Minn said

@Germaximus Which is why I no longer play Zelda, Mario, any shooter game, strategy game, etc....you see where this is going?

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:44PM BuyAquafina said

@The Minn

But those games have more to them then hitting 1234231 repeatedly. There's very little mechanical things you can do with an mmo when compared to other genres. The gameplay itself is very simplistic. Active blocking is just now making it's way into the genre along with dodging.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 3:06PM Raikulxox said

@The Minn You are hereby never allowed to make comparisons again.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 5:27PM Beltyra said

@BuyAquafina
Yeah its not like we mash the A button to make Mario jump on mobs heads anymore! How silly would THAT be if 30 years later we still did that!

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 7:44PM Sorithal said

@Beltyra

Hey, that's a lie.

Sometimes you use B too to run and such.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 7:56PM Apakal said

• Half a heart
@Beltyra

Fanatics will be fanatics. Big deal. This says nothing about the majority of gamers that are NOT playing Mario or Zelda anymore.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 10:43PM Vagrant Zero said

@Apakal Is it your contention that the majority of gamers no longer play Mario and Zelda?

Because if so, I am hereby ordered by The Convention of Gaming Gamers to 1) Tell you that you're laughably wrong and 2) To never speak for us again.

TCGG thanks you for your understanding.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:37AM (Unverified) said

@Apakal That's why when Mario 5 came out, the Wii started selling out (again); all those people 'not wanting to play it'. =P

Posted: Jun 21st 2011 11:23AM Laguna said

@The Minn

It's kinda silly comparing single players wich people play for a few days (and thus not getting easily bored with) with mmo's wich people play for years.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:22PM cliktea said

Pretty much exactly what I took away from the gameplay I've seen is written in this piece. Nothing too exciting, the same old same old, turn off your brain and go through the motions themepark. However I will be buying it as I do like Star Wars.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:28PM Valentina said

Wow I'm surprised the opinions were not more positive. To me, it does revolutionize the genre in the sense that it offers interactive story with choices to be made, and different paths to play through. We've never seen that in an MMO before so that right there is a very new and huge innovation so I will disagree with the statements being made that it's nothing new because I do not consider many of their innovations to be bells and whistles. Your choices matter, and they impact your character and the way they and the game world interacts with you and I think that is a very massive part of what the game is about and always has been said to be about. I don't really know what anyone was expecting with the combat mechanics or the fact that quests make you go out and do things because even in singleplayer RPG's the missions have objectives.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:44PM Laurs said

@Valentina

No offense, but i don't really think you can fully grasp the meaning of "revolutionize". The whole story and VO thing is just a much sleeker way of offering the players quests (the same old kill 10 rats quests you see in every other themepark MMO), no more, no less. All the leaked material available confirms this. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. I want this game to succeed but if people continue to hope that this game will be revolutionary, their disappointment will probably hinder said success.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:53PM Ehra said

@Valentina

While that's true, it seems like a lot of other upcoming MMOs are touting similar features (Guild Wars 2 and Secret World come to mind), although TOR has the advantage of coming out first. I haven't been able to play TOR myself, but I have to admit that I've been underwhelmed by what I've seen. The gameplay looks like standard MMO fare. What sets it out is the story and, while Bioware is great at that, it's hard for me to get excited over that alone when other MMOs are featuring a similar focus on story and decisions in addition to other innovations.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:54PM Ehra said

@Ehra

I want to clarity that, while I won't be getting it at release, I'm not saying TOR looks "bad." Just commenting on the discussion about it being revolutionary.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014