Posted: Jun 12th 2011 5:23PM Faction 3 said

I recently purchased the Godslayer expansion because the Free Trial impressed me so goddamn much. The only beef I have (besides the lack of more than 4 Hotbars) is that finding a Game-Time Card for AoC is beyond impossible, and I've used Time Cards on every MMO i've played. Even DCUO, which thankfully I did, because of the massive security breach.

I can't find one of these sons-a-bitches anywhere.

So until I come across one, I can't really touch anything beyond Tortage.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 6:30PM Space Cobra said

@Faction 3

While they can be scarce, they are out there. Not sure what region of the world you may be in, as I can only comment on North America. I do see them at the larger retail stores, like Best Buy, but it seems once a store runs out of stock, you need to pester them.

Hopefully, Funcom will release more when f2p hits. A possible solution (although it may bloat your claim-window) is to buy another Godslayer pack; in fact, I got mine cheaper than a time-card, since it was on discount.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 8:48PM Nyan said

@Faction 3 I've been using gamecards.eu for about a year now. They have both eu and us versions and they're pretty quick. It's not one of those gold powerelevel seller sites either so they're trustworthy.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 11:24PM Titan1 said

@Faction 3
you can get a 60 day time card for 14.99 at bestbuy.com

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 11:49PM Faction 3 said

@Titan1 I didnt even bother to check them...>_> I'll get on that right now, I called Gamestop, which usally becomes a nightmare to get anything from them in the first place, and OF COURSE they don't stock them. I'll check BB.com right now.

Thanks buddy!!

@Space Cobra North American market for me, I live in Chicago. I've seen EU Cards all over the place. but a NA one I cant find for some odd reason, Gonna check Best Buy like Titan1 suggested.

Thank you!

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 11:54PM Faction 3 said

@Titan1 Just checked Best Buy.com, like...11 Stores in my area all have them.

Titan1, you sir, are a goddamn genius! Perhaps (if you play AoC) we can wring necks together someday.

I really appreciate it! Thank you VERY much.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 12:25AM Faction 3 said

@Nyan I actually used the american counterpart, Gamecards24x7.com or something along the lines to get my DCUO Cards. They'd EMail you the Code as soon as they confirmed your payment. It was a dollar or-so more, but the gas you'd use to get to a Best-Buy or whatnot makes up for the extra change added on. Especially when (like AoC) you couldnt find the goddamn cards anywhere, and Im talking when DCUO launched, so it was even more of a pain.

For WoW, hell, even 7-11 had them...

I definately endorse those websites, They're quick, have live CSRs, and even check back with you to make sure you've been taken care of.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 3:23PM Ratham said

@Faction 3 Just pick up one of those Ultimate Gamecards, you can use them on AoC and can find them nearly everywhere.

Ya know, the red ones with the kid on them?

My only beef with those is that they are a MAJOR pain to use, the directions are confusing as hell depending on what you use it for, but it DOES work ;)

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:02PM Titan1 said

@Faction 3
Glad to help out a fellow gamer

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 5:27PM Vagrant Zero said

Thanks for the summary Jef. I've promised myself that I won't touch AoC again until the appearance tab is implemented. While I'm sure more current players have an entire bevy of valid and pressing issues with the game, mine is just a simple one: I hated leveling 1-40 and replacing my ugly gear with identically ugly gear. It killed any sense of pleasure I got from gearing up.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 8:21AM BigAndShiny said

@Vagrant Zero
Yeah 1-40 gear is very ugly. Im just back in Age Of Conan, and loving it a lot. Thing is, on my 1280x1024 laptop which can actually run the game on high as it has good specs the UI is SOOOO DAMN MASSIVE that i can hardly see the freaking game!
Oh well, this new level 50+ zone should be fun?

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 5:27PM AoCPlayer said

Jef,

another great article and every single thing you mentioned is something that needs to be rectified. The returning PVP player post tells exactly of what a new player faces in their almost pathetic attempt to be relevant in PVP. The social tab section touches upon some of the oversights FUNCOM divided to pretend didn't exist or choose to just ignore (can you imagine mini games where Guardians wear clothies armor and most players cant figure out what class they are until 2 late while clothies are only delegated to the same armor type they currently have).

And quite honestly, the last section on the dire straits the AoC economy currently is in may be the most important aspect of them all. There simply is not enough avenues to acquire gold as their are gold sinks in this game. Harvesting/mining or whatever you want to call acquiring rare materials to sell on the trader is almost pointless as AoC has nothing of worth to make in crafting (minus the T3 weapon which is out of reach for 99% of AoC players). There are no tradable gear pieces at all for level 80 players to acquire and sell from doing dungeon runs, so there is absolutely no avenue for acquiring gold outside of grinding your ass of doing the same faction quests over an over and over again.

The only major issue with AoC that I feel you left out is the broken natural regen rates and accompanying buggs highlighted by this post from Haven (Haven the Test Live forum lead administrator stickied it):

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 7:05PM Graill440 said

Its not that AOC is a BAD game, the devs simply, and i state simply, make very poor descisions. The problem lay with the developers continuing their own agenda and not what the few subscribers left playing want. Things smoldering on the AOC forums still, after all this time have not been addressed, instead the already planned projects by the developers move forward, and do nothing for the game and the core problems that still haunt it.

The car looks great, the wheels have a lot of bling there devs, that paintjob is fantastic, its too bad you never took the time to think to put an engine in that car to make it move. (sarcasm, smile)

Always a good article btw. That said the things still screwing this game over have not been addressed, whether its having a hard head on the devs part or the engine simply being ate the hell up and they cant implement somethings we can only guess.

After all these years. It simply makes no sense.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 9:14PM Plastic said

I usually spend around $100 per year on F2P games that I like, and I have a soft-spot for AoC, having played during launch, but after my recent run-in with Funcom's billing department, I'm pretty much done with anything they touch.

During the free anniversary event, I logged in with my lvl80 character only to realize that there was nothing I could do during my free time, since alternate advancement and rep grind were limited to those with the rise of the godslayer expansion. I quit long before the expansion, but fair enough, I figured I'd just plop down the money for the expansion in order to get some use out of the free anniversary game time. After getting the box in the mail I try to register it to my account. I'm asked for a credit card, weird, but the screen shows I will be charged $0, so I figure they just need updated information in case I let the subscription renew after the free game time. Let me repeat, the amount due showed $0. I click submit, and they immediately charge me $15 for a month game time. Hmm, I didn't think I agreed to that, oh well, better cancel my account and send a letter to customer service explaining the mistake. A few days pass, no response, so I log in (for the very first time) to see if my account has at least been canceled as per my request (I canceled online as well). I Log in, the account is still activated, I putz around for no more than a minute or two, and log off. Finally, I get a response from customer service the next day saying that they can't refund me because I've logged in and played. I write back explaining the situation, and after a few more days I get another response basically saying tough luck.

Seriously, Funcom? You're going to lose a customer over 3 minutes of game time? I mean, it's not like $15 is a huge amount to me, but just on principle I wont patronize a company that doesn't have the decency to objectively look at the situation and do the right thing for a customer. Especially one that has bought their game, their expansion, and many months of game time.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 12:27AM Poordevil said

I only have passing interest in the new PVP server. I am looking forward to appearance slots and what that really means to the 1-80 game regarding armor, weapons, and gear in general. Com'on Sil, have a talented someone with an eye for barbaric style create some cool stuff to wear and weapons to wield on the road to 80! It would breath some variety into the old content. I bet it would even bring out a lot of alts from the veteran stables and also be incentive for new players to begin the trek and stick with it. Let's face it, cool garb and the possibility the next drop might hold some is a huge incentive and a major draw in any RPG.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 12:52AM Poordevil said

Regarding the name for the new PvP server. What's wrong with Blood and Glory? That sounds much better than any of the names in the survey!

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 7:49PM AoCPlayer said

@Poordevil

Blood and Glory sounds like a dam fine name for the "hardcore" PVP server to me as well.

Posted: Jun 18th 2011 12:28PM SalmonofAges said

New changes up on TL - Gold reductions, Vanity slots, Removal of T3 keying, etc.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past