Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:40PM HokieKC said

• 1 heart
@Brendan Drain - Thanks for clearing that up. It sounds like Dust 514 won't be free to play as they originally stated. If you have to purchase the game up front that isn't free to play. That's buy to play or maybe even 'freemium'.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 2:50PM Brendan Drain said

@HokieKC I think that's just a matter of naming convention. It's basically the Guild Wars model (but it will almost certainly have free expansions like EVE does), and some people would call Guild Wars free to play despite the initial purchase. Personally, I'm just happy it won't have a monthly subscription fee.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 8:16PM Marz said

Unless I am missing something, Dust is going to be an MMO that doesn't have elves, that has Meaningful PVP where winning and losing the battle will have consequeses.

Sounds like something many people on these forums have been asking for.

(I can see many eve players playing dust on the PS3 while ice mining for hours on their pc)

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 9:12PM TheWhiteLights said

I think the initial pay thing is to keep little kids out. But that didn't stop them from playing certain pay-to-play MMOs. Just a guess...

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 3:48AM PanamaAlex said

Well, there are a lot of things I could comment on. But let me focus on two things: First, Cross platform FPS with a console can be done. As much as I hate the game I'm about to reference, Shadowrun was made for the X360 and the PC and you could play against one another in cross platform status. So there should be a way that Sony can work on correcting that. If it works for Final Fantasy XI and all that.

Second, as an EVE Online player, it does upset me that Dust 514 is a PS3 exclusive. Will it make or break my EVE experience? No. Will I run out and buy a PS3? No. Eventually, CCP will create a PC version. If not, then I'll just wait for X-Rebirth or something else.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 7:15PM Persistantthug said

@PanamaAlex
Actually FREE REALMS is Cross platform.

Also there are like 3 or 4 free to play Japanese MMO's that are cross platform as well....One of them is called UNCHARTED WATERS ONLINE. If you youtube it you can see it in action. It's not necessarily the most impressive MMO out there (came out on PC in 2005 and PS3 in 2009) but it can be played for free if you sign up for a Japanese PSN account.

Posted: Jun 14th 2011 7:56PM PanamaAlex said

@Persistantthug

Good point. I forgot about Uncharted Waters. But I should point out that I don't have a PS3 and am not planning on getting one. Simply stating that cross platform can be done and (unless there are some cost issues I'm not aware of) it should be explored and/or implemented.

This is also where DCUO dropped the ball. I was planning on joining DCUO to play with my friends on PS3 until I found out that there is no cross platform play. My friends and I played FFXI in cross platform fashion (2 of us on PC the other 5 on PS2).

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 8:11AM (Unverified) said

A lot of people seem to be of the opinion that whatever players dust does pick up will move on after a short time as happens with other big name FPS console titles. But the big difference is that other big name title don't give players any reason to stick around. In fact the developers don't want to you stick around, they want to you play for a month or two then go buy the next big thing.

In that respect Dust offers something that the big console fps's don't. I for one will be playing both eve and dust.