Posted: Jun 13th 2011 1:56AM (Unverified) said

@Rayko Maybe a good strategy is not ripping into things you haven't looked into. And if people seem harsh, perhaps it's weariness with the knee-jerk armchair cynicism and complaint-factory everything generates when announced. And it seems acute among this kind of community.

It seems no publisher, no matter it's track record, ever earns anything but hostility. I'm an education 3d application dev, but I thank goodness I don't work in this industry. It would be demotivating to actually innovate, put blood sweat and tears into something and get a wall of knee-jerk hostility from people who can't be bothered to look into what they are pissed about.

Legit criticism is legit. I myself am not a fan of everything every publisher does. But critique and reflexive hostility are different.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:57AM Rayko said

@(Unverified)

Just when I thought I was out ....

Show me where I ripped into the game. I said it was a mistake to come out only on PS3 , I don't care what their reasoning is. I wanted to play it , but I'm not buying a PS3 to do so. Who the hell are you to say my complaint is not valid. Discussions typically have people with opposing view points. You guys need to stop with the complainers line...that sir, is a facile argument. ( Archer ftw )

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 3:06AM Rayko said

@Rayko

ok maybe I did rip into a little, but still...

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:59AM (Unverified) said

@Rayko Well, I wont say you're entirely wrong because you have a valid point you're a PC gamer like I am and you're wondering why Dust would go PS3 exclusive. There are number of possible reasons for CCP to go single platform with Dust, first and foremost They want to grow the EVE community beyond PC platform, so they want to present an experience that is entirely different with their current game, yet they want to expand that universe, which connectivity and integrations with EVE comes into play. Another reason might be that CCP, in all their success are still a small company with limited resources and budget, so they'd rather come up with a title working great on a single platform and continue to support, expand and maintain it instead of going multiplatform which is more time and budget consuming. I'd like to think that CCP has strategies for taking this action like they want to expand EVE universe and experience by having different platforms with experiences unique and appealing to each specific platform. This might mean they want EVE Online to attract PC gamers and expand its community on EVE for PC, and Dust 514 to attract console shooter fans who are intrigued by the idea of taking part in something much grander, that allows them to complete objectives that has an impact in one unique universe, and that is not just EVE Online or Dust 514 it's the entire New Eden, to different type of crowd with different style of play and with different ambitions taking part in shaping an immersive universe that is not limited to EVE or Dust but affects them both in different ways.

PS: I tried to make sense as much as I could, sorry if there are any problems as English is my second tongue.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 9:20AM Kalex716 said

@Rayko

You are not in the video game industry Rayko.

You currently cannot do this type of game on Xbox. Period. You just can't for technical reasons. Money only comes into it when you consider how much it would cost a company like CCP to change microsoft certification policies, which is currently unprecedented in the industry.

Everybody asking for cross platform(xbox to ps3) play is ridiculous....

I want coke and pepsi to get in bed and make a super cola but why would they?

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 11:47AM Rayko said

@Kalex716

I'm referring to PC not xbox.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 1:44AM Lateris said

I am really excited to work with corporations such as EU as Dust Bunny

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:08AM (Unverified) said

THE REAL QUESTION ?????

Seriously -

Are PS3 Players ready to get dry looted?

That's a totally new concept to people that don't play either EVE or Darkfall.

I absolutely reject any nerf but crying and butthurt are going to be incoming on Dust514...

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:08AM Bedazzled said

This is all very nice. Yes it could be awesome. Now tell us what it's going to be like 2 - 4 months after release when all the PS3 gamers have buggered off to the latest FPS and we're left with little to no Dusties kicing around?

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:50AM Acharenus said

I have to admit I was pretty excited to just be a merc in the world of eve, but ps3 exclusive rules me out. Seems odd and risky to go for such a market, if dust doesn't deliver what the latest cod does easier there goes most of your gamers.

Even though you'd be eating into some of your own customers it seems safer in the long run to go for the pc.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 3:06AM Beltyra said

Anyone seen any info for how the solo player can experience DUST?

Everything I see and read talks about massive battles over low sec/0 sec space and corporations and all that.

I like EVE PvE and solo mission running, does DUST have a place for those players?

Im not asking for a campaign(maybe) but for bots or NPCs or Mobs or w/e to kill and go and do battle on high sec planets etc....

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 3:24AM halfcaptain said

@Beltyra

Another good question. Personally, I'd revamp the militia system and give a solo player a choice between the 4 major factions. That way you get knee deep in the shit right away, and you still have the benefit of some leadership and resources, NPC or otherwise. I think CCP will do something similar.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:07AM Kifix said

I have to say i don't think the game will live long on PS3. There's already very heavy weight shooters, and EVE players won't buy a PS3 just for DUST. I won't anyway. So i don't care anymore about whatever happens with DUST :'(

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 7:14AM lethalgunner said

@Kifix speak for yourself. I've just bought a PS3 and monitor in anticipation for DUST.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 10:59AM (Unverified) said

@lethalgunner

He's not speaking for himself. Me and every EVE guy I personally know who doesn't own a PS3 feel the same. The one guy who does own a PS3 doesn't give a damn about FPS's so from my network of friends/Corp-mates CCP isn't getting any support for this despite many of us being hugely stoked for Dust514 since it was announced.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 12:22PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
Well, if you're not gonna speak for yourself, at least don't speak for EVERYONE.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:12PM lethalgunner said

@(Unverified) it only takes one example to break an absolutism, though. I'm the example. The guy can't speak for "EVE players," he can only speak for himself.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 4:15AM pteyuen said

Yes, putting it on a console is a bit of a risk, versus the PC. However, CCP wants to diversify its offerings, and no one can blame them for that. The whole Xbox/Playstation thing has been gone over a lot, so not touching that. It is a legit worry that console gamers won't have the long-term attention to keep this game going year after year -- whereas PC gamers might. We'll have to see.

If it does go ghost town, it won't kill EVE, but it would be a shame to see an interesting game mechanic become an insignificant vestigal feature.

I'm actually not a console gamer and likely won't be playing Dust. However, I am still really excited for it due to the new dimensions it possibly holds for EVE itself and its continued evolution into a "sci-fi simulator".

I disagree with Nyphur that we were all expecting basically some glorified EVE Gate interaction. I did expect way more than that. But the vision they laid out is quite a bit more ambitious for this first stage than I had anticipated.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 7:15AM lethalgunner said

@pteyuen I have a feeling that there will be enough dedicated players to keep DUST worthwhile, but those that do play are going to be wealthy as sin. I'm hoping I can fund my EVE subscription with my DUST gameplay. :D

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 8:41AM ApathyCurve said

• 1 heart
Fail. That's my prediction. And I'll be back here in three years saying "I told you so."

Age, wisdom and experience, my lads.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014