Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:34AM Wisdomandlore said

I actually like the Wii U. Not only does it have lots of cool potential for gameplay, but it's functionality is just cool. Now I can play one game while my wife streams another game to the controller. Or I can watch Netflix while I play Chrono Trigger on the touch screen.

From a marketing standpoint it seems brilliant. With the Wii Nintendo was trying to bring a new audience in. With touch screens so prevalent on phones and tables, the Wii U's controller is the perfect bridge to lead an even wider audience over.

I do wonder why they're limiting only one touchscreen controller per console, or why they didn't just nix the 3DS and make the controller a separate handheld device that interfaced with a new console.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 2:27PM Anticrawl said

@Wisdomandlore

The best thing about the controller by far is that I won't have to leave a match or get kicked out for idling/die a lot if I have to take a dump during an online game. I can bring the screen with me to the toilet lawl.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:40AM DevilSei said

Heh, I have to agree about the Wii U controller. The thing is just plain awkward, and placement of the analog sticks in comparison to the D pad and buttons is awkward. There's a reason why most every controller with dual analog sticks has the Dpad and buttons set up diagonally with them, not right below the stick.
Other than that, E3 was dull to be honest. Mass Effect 3 with Kinect? They could of done the same exact thing, like they have before, with just the headset. Halo 4-6? Yay...

Best things I saw had to be previews on gaming sites on several games. Asura's Wrath, Kingdoms of Amalar, both sond like they are coming out to be amazing.

And like Eliot, I still have a Mass Effect 2 Insanity playthrough so I can 100% its achievements, Final Fantasy 13 to start back up and beat... oh, and playing some Eden Eternal. I'm 8 levels from 40 and I'd love to nab at least a fancy top hat!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@DevilSei

You seriously believe Nintendo, Who has an entire team of people dedicated to ergonomics hasn't thought this through? I don't think anyone who has not used one can comment on it's awkwardness. And specifically to one of your points, the stick setup-
If the stick was alinged in anything BUT a straight line, the movement based control would feel completely out of whack. The demo clearly showed that tilting the controller up/down/left/right was a major part of its functionalty, now think hard about how that movement would feel if your right hand was off kilter and not straight.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 2:03PM (Unverified) said

@DevilSei

If the stick was alinged in anything BUT a straight line, the movement based control would feel completely out of whack. The demo clearly showed that tilting the controller up/down/left/right was a major part of its functionality, now think hard about how that movement would feel if your right hand was off kilter and not straight.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 3:05PM DevilSei said

@(Unverified)
This coming from someone who I'm guessing hasn't used it as well?

Several reports from people who HAVE used the Wii U pad have also said its awkward to use as well.

And guess what else has movement-based controls AND a diagonal setup for its analog sticks and buttons? PS3 controller, and guess what? It works damn fine from what I've played extensively with it.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:14AM (Unverified) said

Not big on the touch stlye pads, the controller is very awkward and bulky. I remember a time before the Wii was annouced I said the same thing, and boy did it prove everyone wrong.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:49AM Integral said

;_;

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:53AM Caerus said

I can't find any Skyrim vids to answer this question, so maybe someone who saw the E3 coverage can answer it:

Will the game be "PC" - like Morrowind, or "Console" - like Oblivion? I'm specifically referring to the UI elements like inventory, menus, conversation interface, and character sheet.

I'm aware that it's going to come out for both, but they're going to be developing and designing it with one style firmly in mind first, then tweak. I'm just curious if that'll be mouse and keyboard, or controller.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:54AM PaperSpeaks said

While I'm not going to dig up different sites on the wii u controller, I heard despite it's size and 'bulkiness' it is rather comfortable to handle - whether this can last for long hours of game sessions... Who knows.
But I'm a sucker for nintendo stuff, so I'm biased and will probably buy the thing anyways.
This year's e3 was far superior to last year's IMO, with PSvita, wii u, and details on games that I am looking forward to (SKYRIM! *drool*).
On the MMO front I wasn't very impressed :/
Kinect... The only one I saw that was semi-impressive was the new ME3 'voice command' which, as DevilSei stated, nothing that needs to be exclusive to kinect. Then I saw the new fable game using kinect for some horrendous on-rail magic shoot-em-up and realized that fable had fallen down far, too far.
It always seem so short and a lot of stuff happened behind the big announcements, but I truly think 2011-2012 will start out strong with a good line of games.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:19PM Pingles said

I'll be working on the last bit of XP before dinging 85 in WoW (returned to explore Cataclysm) and then shopping for a new MMO.

Concerning the new Wii: Undecided. I was really excited to find out how they would use the Wiimote on the current Wii and purchased one. But I have yet to really use it in any exciting way in a game other than exercising.

So I'll wait and see with the new Wii. Maybe they'll surprise me.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:36PM Ryukan said

Personally, I think the WiiU is a gimmick; more of a gimmick then the Wii and not as fun. The controller is just ridiculous. I was actually looking forward to something in the way of a next-gen Wii system from Nintendo, but as soon as they announced the WiiU (stupid name) and the stupid controller I lost all interest. I don't see the WiiU and it's gimmicky controller having the staying power of the Wii.

If Nintendo and third party developers actually make some REAALY GOOD games for the WiiU, it might save the system somewhat, but I doubt it.

Nintendo seems to be more oriented towards making gimmicks than games.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 3:26PM DevilSei said

@Ryukan

Aye, a lot of people were hoping that the Project Cafe would be a sequel to the Gamecube, not the Wii. Gamecube was perfect for casuals and hardcore gamers alike. It had its Animal Farms and Baten Kaitos, and better yet the system wasn't infested with "Carnival Plays!" and "Imaginz!"...

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:25PM Wisdomandlore said

@DevilSei

Why would they make a sequel to the Gamecube, a system that by any standard was a failure, instead of a successor to the Wii, which by all standards was a runaway success?

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 1:42AM Nucleon said

@Ryukan "[Every game developer and publisher on the planet] seems to be more oriented towards making gimmicks than games."

Fixed that for you. In the MMO sphere, and in much of gaming in general I think things are getting worse for the "core" gamer. I mean look where it started: EQ, UO, FFXI, AC: all pretty brutal core gamer-centric games. Next comes EQ2, Lotro, WoW, AC2 (some core elements but highly accessible to non-core gamers). What will come next... likely even more accessible-to-the-masses games, which is great because it allows devs to stay in business, but stinks for those who have been gaming for multiple decades and want a challenge that requires that level of experience.

The dilemma will always be that the market capitilization of accessible games will always trounce games which require oodles of experience and challenge to beat. The equation worked out OK back in the day when *only* core gamers were gaming, but now there are just more non-core and their collective purchasing power is significantly stronger and the devs know it.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:42PM Khalus said

When I first saw the controller, I was like now that is awesome, I must have one! However, the last few days its been heavily waning on me that its just another meh product I'll never buy.

I said the same thing about the Wii, and here 5-6 years later I still have never bought one. I like what the Wii can do and potential of this controller sounds promising, but I agree with the title of this article 100%

I just want to play my games as I did back in the day on the NES and SNES making hardly any movements besides my fingers. I move and get plenty of exercise while at work, so when I get home I just wanna plop down on the sofa or at my PC and do as little as possible and relax!

So even though I'm thinking I'll be buying one, I'm just going to stick to PC gaming and MMOs. Didn't invest nearly $4000 in my custom built PC for nothing...

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:02PM Ghostspeaker said

I'm likely gonna spend my days in RIFT and DFO, with my offline time spent in Witcher (the first one which I STILL haven't finished) until the Dragon Nest closed beta starts on Wednesday. Then I'll be all DN all the time, baby. I've been waiting for that damn game for AGES and I'm stoked I'm finally gonna get my grubby little paws on it!!

I'm probably most excited for Skyrim and SWTOR. I was already pretty much sold on SWTOR, but the Tatooine video made me actually excited. I LOVE the UI and I wish I could us it for all my favorite EQ-clone MMOs. And I didn't even know Skyrim was coming until E3. I've been a fan of the series since I bought Daggerfall when I was 13. The sheer depth of those games is something that's never been matched.

I really wish someone made an MMO like the Elder Scrolls games. That'd be a sandbox I could believe in.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:20PM BGExorcist said

I think WiiU announcement was like NOKIA and winmo 7. THeir stock fell to the ground probably. MOst awkward thing ever.. stop with the casual trash, and the family night with kids things. GIVE US MONSTER HARDWARE AND GOOD GRAPHICS ALREADY

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:40PM (Unverified) said

@BGExorcist obviously someone else didnt understand the nintendo presentation.

'GIVE US MONSTER HARDWARE AND GOOD GRAPHICS ALREADY'

It's got all that!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:47PM (Unverified) said

@BGExorcist

Yeah... You do know that the WiiU is IMMENSLY more powerful than the 360/ps3 right?? Never mind, just keep jumping to conclusions and making assumptions, its much more entertaining.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories