Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:19AM Xii said

Pet classes are my favorite, especially necromancers.

I like how in Age of Conan, you get a variety of pets with various damage types and procs (like HP leeching, or debuffing MP of enemies). Also in AoC, you can sacrifice some of your pet usage for a boost to your base magic damage. The pet points system in AoC works really well, IMO.

In Tabula Rasa, you could rez deadd monsters and have them fight for you. There was nothing cooler than charging a Bane-held control point, killing half of them, then having them fight the other mobs.

EQ2 is my main game, I play a necro there, and in general I like the balance between the three main pets (fighter, mage, scout) and the stances. It's just that I prefer having multiple pets in games. Also, scout pets suck

I don't like the GW necro much because of the way that necro pets work in that game. I prefer to have permanent pets, personally.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:23AM Thorqemada said

I play computergames for ~33 years now...wow what a long time...well!
Have playes any archetype in mmos over the course of the last ~11 years.
For me a pet class offers the most versatile and deep gameplay if its done right.
There be some different pet classes - imo its the summoner and the tamer mainly.
A tamer needs to be able to tame any beast of the living nature from mice to dragon.
Perfect World has it to a degree but i believe UO goes even further with a reasonable gameplay and the ability to tame almost anything and let it have a use ingame.

The summoner summons all beeing of pure magic, the elementals, the dead and undead.
I really would like to have my necromancer exploring the ancient graveyards, legendary tombs, battlefields etc for remains of dead beeings, heros, legendary fighters, bests, dead dragons and demons and whatever to build up my own frankenstein pet that grows with each part in size, changes in visuals, gets new abilities etc.

At all i want sort of a starter deck of pets but over the course of the game to aquire my own pets and hatch them.
I want pets so mighty that i have a risk to lose control and they do random damage to anyone around or even hunt me for beeing their slaver so they can get free after beating me.

I dont want pure dps builds, i want the versatility to have pets that for examplke enhance the storage/inventroy space of a player or group.
Pets can be supportive, decorative, assisting and what any idea one has.

The main part of the combat gameplay is that no me is doing the damage inb fight but i control my many pets/my only pet and regarding to the setup/choice i made i can tank with it, dps, debuff, replenish hp/mana/stamina, cc, seduce, charm, intimidate, fear.

Me is the supporttool, the swiss army knife in the group setup.
Making it so interesting to make so much choices anytime what is the best setup for the current situation, when go risk, when stay back etc.

AoC Necromancer is a bad example bcs anything that was supportive and fun and helpfull to the group that is not dps has been nerfed to a level that it is simply of no matter to the gameplay anymore which led to the result that the pet necromancer is a odditiy.
To many abilites be totally without proper functionality and the talent trees be mixed bad, many pets be expensive to get while offering nothing helpfull. Especially not in PvP.
Still this Class gets the most hate beside the usual fotm class and people want it even nerfed further bcs of a deep lack of knowledge and understanding and tolerance toward different playstyles.

Which is one of the complaints i have that often users of pet classes be seen as lazy losers who dont know to play which i can totally ignore as long my gameplay experience is not damaged by their whining and clamoring and well AoC sadly sided with the haters.

I hope we get some day a game where this sort of gameplay will not only be resurrected but enhanced.
Maybe SWTOR with its companions makes people more tolerant toward pet classes as these players who usually do not play that way get a feeling for.

PS: In Daoc is a pet class the summoner changes to a shadow and controls the pet and only the pet is able to do anything until its slain and the summoner changes back to a pc with a big damage on his hp so he cant fight well and is a sure kill if unable to flee.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:23AM Scuffles said

The same thing I really want from any class.

A decent fun to play class that is sufficiently balanced and which doesn't get nerfed into oblivion. Simply because once you have finished your build, painstakingly selected your skill sets and ground for your gear .... Idiots a quarter of the time into their builds you did bitch that "X class is hard to kill Whaaaa Whaaaa!".

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:24AM (Unverified) said

I'd like pet classes more if the way you control and interact with them isn't so bad. This is coming from experience with WoW and Rift. The basic commands and minimal interaction with your pet is boring. I'd like it if you actually felt bonded to your pet of choice and maybe even do combo attacks with the pet instead of telling it to attack while you do.

To me, the way they're setup in those two MMO's is aggravating to control. It feels awkward to position your pet and to handle it aggroing mobs. And really, you don't get to customize your pet beyond its name. Oh wow, I named this pig KevinBacon, whoopdeedoo! It looks like every other pig of this type and has the same exact attack pattern. At least for WoW, hunters have pet talent trees to somewhat distinguish your pet, though that falls prey to min-maxing and doesn't have cosmetic options.

I want to like pet classes because the concept is cool but the execution leaves me wanting more.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 10:10AM Audacious said

@(Unverified)

Agreed wit this. The Dragoon from FFXI's wyvern has a whole suite of animations beyond float in place and attack what I'm attacking and will even mimic your emotes is a step in the right direction.

For gameplay, I like how pets were handled in Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine: everyone had a pet with fully customizable attacks and spells, with options to have them tank, support, heal, DPS, or any combination therein, and a button to toggle control between your character and your pet to cast reviving spells or use other more technical attacks without having to rely on the AI. Now take that, give every pet a full set of emotes and other assorted animations to bring them to life, and you've got my ideal pet class.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:46AM DevilSei said

Honestly, if pet classes need one thing, its for their pets to evolve, to shift in appearance. The Pet keeper does this of course, they get new armor, new weapons, yadda yadda. Yet what about the pets? Sure its alright when you start off with some naked cat, but as you progress... you're the one getting armored up yet its the same naked pet being sent out to battle.

As you and the pet and you level up, you should gain armor for him, nothing for stats, just appearances. You hit the cap, you've unlocked all his level-specific armor. Then you move on to raids if you want, and unlock raid-specific armor for the pet as well.

Yes it would take a lot more of the art team and some extra coding, but some of my biggest issues with MMOs, especially P2P, is a lack of care to the details. Allods allowed its pets to change in appearance as you powered them up, yet WoW has kept everything barebones for them.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:48AM DevilSei said

@DevilSei
Also... I'm dreaming of a game that allows my necromancer to equip body parts to my undead minions... What's that? His zombie has a Horse Weiner...?! We better be careful guys, this is dangerous territory!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 10:54AM dudes said

A woman on a leash would make the perfect pet class. And I would like a Porsche and a penthouse while I'm dreaming.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:26PM wondersmith said

@dudes

Ah, you're reminding me of my Enchanter in EverQuest. Dire charming the hot pirate babes in Dulak's Harbor was such politically incorrect fun!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:45AM Caerus said

I'm probably in the minority here, but I want the least amount of pet interaction possible in combat, and I don't like melee classes with pets.

Pets (in PvE) shouldn't die unless they're tanking - ever. For any reason. At all. None. Zero. They shouldn't have an aggro table unless they're explicitly tanking, and shouldn't be targetable or affected by any AoE or boss abilities in a raid, at all. My playstyle should be identical whether I have the pet out or not, the only difference should be DPS output. Having to micromanage your pets in a group situation is stupid and ridiculous - there are much better ways to add complexity and depth to a class beyond "DERP TIME TO HIT FOLLOW" and it irritates me beyond words. Anything that tries to treat the pet like a player-unit instead of a really pretty ranged attack that's always on is something I'm against. It should be a small contribution to my DPS, basically an always-on DoT, no more than 15-20% of total damage.

The pet skill bar should be basically ranged toggle, melee toggle, tank toggle, and the only reason I want a ranged toggle is if there's fights where the boss is literally hanging over nothing, I don't want the pet to look stupid flying across the room. Ranged and melee pet DPS should be exactly the same. If I attack something then the pet attacks, if I stop then the pet stops. The difference between tanking and DPS toggles on the pet should change who has the aggro table - DPS, /all/ aggro goes to me, tanking, /all/ aggro goes to the pet.

I want my pet class to have one pet, that you "bond with" and grows more powerful over time. It should be extensively customizable - size, color, species, shape, and name - but still be the same one animal/construct/summon. Customization for pets to me should be like retconning a comic character - it's "always" looked like this, and tomorrow it will have "always" looked like that.

I don't care about PvP, I guess look to a Ranger in Rift for how I think a pet should work in PvP. Some utility, some damage, very squishy. Since I view the pet as a mobile DoT, all of the skills you'd use to counter a ranged class like LoS/ranging, running into melee, aren't effective and should be balanced by the ease of killing the pet.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:54AM (Unverified) said

My ideal pet class is the AC2 Invoker (pre-change).

I believe it had the perfect balance of 3 pets. Enough for them to be powerful individually as well as together.

They worked together perfectly, one DD, one Tank, and one Buff/de-buffer.

and collision detection makes or breaks pet classes, their strong point is microing and mindgames so collision detection is a must.

It was so much fun to play... kite someone around and if they chase you, the pets hit them, if they attack the pets, you attack them.

Tons of fun.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:03PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

edit: 3 pets out at once*

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:58AM Sorithal said

I'd just like to see pets actually grow/change appearance as they level up alongside their masters. Also maybe change appearance (or even its top ability?) based on (I guess the example here would be WoW) what talent tree the player put the most points into or whatnot.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:02PM Suplyndmnd said

@Sorithal

I would like to see a talent tree just for the pet. That way i can be a hunter (typical pet class) and have my pet either be a tank, dps, or even healer. FFXI didn't have talent trees but with Puppet Master you could have a puppet who could semi tank, do DPS, or be a healer. I was in merit parties at level 75 where a Puppet was main healing us and it was crazy. Took a lot of skill and money but it was possible.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:26PM PaterFrog said

@Suplyndmnd WoW Hunter pets have their own talent tree. you only get one point ever five levels (I think) though...

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:19PM Borick said

Don't care for pets or pet classes, except to hate on 'em in PVP.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:24PM Pingles said

My perfect Pet Class was Dark Age of Camelot's Enchanter.

The pet would start tanking until I could pop into the thick of things with a PBAOE (Point Blank Area of Effect). It was crazy, spectacular and dangerous. Loved it!

Other pet classes I always feel like I'm watching the mobs from afar. I want to get in there!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:56PM alzeer said

i like how puppetmaster is handled in ffxi
you can customize your pet to be ranged, melee dps , healer or mix of those and pet is not controlled 100% by the master, also combining attacks with the pet always fun.
finally cool looking pet is always a plus, shame the only ones i can think of are summoner avatars in ffxi and aion`s higher level pets

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:22PM Ghostspeaker said

If a pet class is a swarming class (like the classic D2 Necromancer or the CoV Mastermind) then I'd prefer to have little control over the swarm except to tell it where to go, while I sit back and debuff the enemies and buff/heal my crew. But if it's a single-pet class then I'd like it to be like the Spiritmaster in Aion, with many of my attacks being funneled through the pet. I'd also like to see more melee classes with pets. I really like the feel of the Beastmaster in Rift, with you fighting right alongside your pet instead of it being just another dot you send at the enemy and forget about.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:54PM Zuljundwumn said

I really enjoyed my necromancer in rift. The pet does all the work, but is effective only if you place the good debuffs on your target, and you nee to refresh them.
of course, this mechanics becomes annoying with certains pets, like this undead sorcerer.