Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:06AM Mikkhail said

Some achievement mounts are just ridiculous - Lets see, grind 200 hours to get a mount that is basically a different shade of color of the mount I already have - no thanks.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 4:48PM DevilSei said

@Mikkhail
Like almost everything you get in WoW from its achievements?

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 11:08AM Hurbster said

@DevilSei

And BAM ! in with the WOW hate straight away....

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:15AM AegisX said

It's fairly simple for me.

The moment I find myself not having fun, and playing to get in the game, I quit. Personally, there is absolutely nothing worse than the grind. It is in no way tangibly productive and I think grinding for anything is crazy.

Probably why my selection of MMOs is very small... :(

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:17AM Alph said

"it's that the rewards don't match up to the strategy and careful play required to have a chance"

The thing is though, if that strategy and careful planning are present in a player, those +1/+2 rewards are going to go that much further in said players hands.(especially in a game like FFXI)

More on point, I agree with Mikkhail, crazy rep grind for a fancy mount... I need to be really bored to do something like that and if I am then I'm probably on my last few legs with the game which is a bigger problem.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:21AM Pewpdaddy said

Kirin (above) is not near as bad as some of the bosses in XI.... And frankly, a game that is not afraid to flat out challenge players(as XI does)... Is win where I come from!!

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 1:15PM Beltyra said

@Pewpdaddy
Kirin himself might not, but remember there are 782 other bosses that need to be camped and killed just so you can spawn his ass. THEN fight him for an hour.
(At least 5 years ago when I played)

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:44AM Mevan said

@Beltyra

Not so terrible but still, it's not like you can enter the zone your first day and take on Kirin.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:22AM (Unverified) said

Champions Online Crafted Travel Powers... they are just crazy.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:39AM OmegaDestroyer said

@(Unverified)

I was going to say the garbage dropped by Takofanes, but you nailed it with the crafted travel powers.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 1:57PM Daverator said

@(Unverified)

Yea, CO crafted travel powers are amazing... ly the worst grind I have ever seen. I think I remember seeing someone selling the rank3 storm rider for 20k Global, and I thought, "sounds about right"

I remember grinding for half an eternity, and ended up getting the schematic for the rank 1 item.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:31AM Arkanaloth said

in general.. anything that requires an incredibly absurd amount of grinding all for a "title" isn't worth it. If the title does something then that increases it's value, case and point: Norn Rep in guildwars increases the potency of norn skills... that is rep worth grinding, but if it didn't increase the power of those skills I couldn't care less and wouldn't bother with it for a LONG time if ever at all.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 10:40AM Resurge said

@Arkanaloth Case IN Point

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:36AM Gaugamela said

I guess Lefebvre just plays MMOs for the shinies.

A fight being hard and with bad rewards doesn't mean it won't be done if its FUN. Challenging gameplay is crucial to ahve a fun game and only kiddies used to have rewards and accomplishments spoon-fed to them would think otherwise.

Grinding on the other hand is what makes a reward look bad if it is too excessive in time.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 9:03AM fallwind said

@Gaugamela

Agreed. The majority of "not worth it" rewards are never from hard content, but rather easy, repetitive, boring content. A raid boss can drop junk and still be worth doing if it is a fun fight (Re: how often old raids are still being done in WoW and other games). The gear is so obsolete it is absurd, but they are still done on occasion because the fights are still enjoyable.

rep grinds, months of dailies, doing the same dungeon day after day for that rare drop... those are not fun.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:41AM (Unverified) said

At least Takofanes only take an hour or so of everyone dropping stuff on him to drop garbage.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 9:12AM OmegaDestroyer said

@(Unverified)

The worst is getting a purple 8-slot bag reward drop. :(

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:42AM b3n said

Cryptic rewards.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:44AM Laguna said

Crafting in most mmo's

Seriously can't remember the last time I bought or made a crafted item.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 8:50AM Borick said

I don't treadmill. I don't collect vanity items and I don't care one bit about achievement lists.

If there's a mace with a clickable rez spell, I'll camp it for three nights without sleep. I'll buy a second account and grind up an alt just to get a two-person flying mount, but I won't spend my life filling checkboxes.