Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:05AM (Unverified) said

He seems to love those Russians!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:28AM Scarecrowe said

I was not actually a fan of TR. I beta tested it and gave my feedback and felt ignored. And the reviews near launch pretty much mirrored my issue. I think he was better suited for single player game design. I didn't bond to UO at all so it didn't get my sub. I know others did and also enjoyed TR. Nothing wrong with that.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 2:19AM Graill440 said

Lets discuss this callous pic. how can any media outlet post a pic like this, i mean really, when a plane eats a human being like it is in the picture shouldnt the family be notified first? I havent seen any news reports to state otherwise.

A moment of silence for the human.......being.... eaten by that plane.

I'm sorry was there some other newsworthy thing about this article?

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 6:08AM Hurbster said

@Graill440

Won't someone please think of the children ?

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 3:41AM Song7 said

Lord British is dead!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 4:01AM Lt Cobalt said

Traitor!

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 4:16AM Germaximus said

onlive.com =p

Already rockin.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 6:08AM FrostPaw said

I really don't think much of this guys opinion. He's welcome to have one I'm just not sure why it's relevant to an mmo news site now he has distanced himself from the genre.

If you consider him soley responsible for what made Ultima games so great then you have to also make him solely responsible for why Tabula Rasa failed to deliver.

He may have paid for and had the space flight planned for a long time but it looked pretty bad to be flying off just as the game with your name on it was swirling down the toilet bowl. No wonder he was "let go"

I tend to agree with what others have said, it makes you wonder if he was really interested in the mmo he was making, or if he just wanted the money for his space flight. The fact Tabila Rasa switched half way through development from Fantasy to Science Fiction shows a lack of clear direction.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 7:02AM xBludx said

Buh-bye~

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 9:53AM Tom in VA said

If RG is "leaving MMOs behind", does that mean this is the last we'll hear of him here at Massively?

(I can dream, can't I?)

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 1:49PM tooright said

@Tom in VA

That would be great wouldn't it.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 12:33PM Seldra said

Good riddance.

Posted: Jun 11th 2011 8:40PM Anatidae said

This guy might one day create a great game. The Ultima games will always be considered great, but mostly because they were some of the first RPG computer games to exist.

But I am happy he is out of the MMO space. I think the guy has been lucky with some nice "firsts". Even Ultima Online was one of the first graphical MMOs and it borrowed at lot of ideas from the text MUDs. I applaud their effort with UO and the uniqueness, but in the end its success was dwarfed by Everquest to be later dwarfed by WoW.

Since Ultima, nothing Garriott has produced/directed/etc... has been worth playing. Maybe he will get lucky and find another frontier to build on. He should have made an Ultima game for the smartphone market 5 years ago - that would have been a hit.

Bye Richard! Have fun making social games... uh, just be aware that market is developed. You'll actually have to make a polished - finished game this time around.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 7:03AM Darkmoone said