Posted: Jun 9th 2011 1:43PM (Unverified) said

Is the sudden thrust in to PVP fixed as far as the segue between the tutorial section and the faction based sections of the game? I found that the difficulty and the ability to find a group suffered greatly at this point in the game.

I was also not a fan of the floating reticule and wanted it to be tied to ship angle.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 1:52PM Borick said

@(Unverified) The floating reticle killed it for me. I did give this game the old college try, but between the reticle and the lobby-based play I just couldn't get into it. The gameplay didn't seem as good to me as Vendetta Online.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 2:04PM Kaahn Stewart said

@(Unverified)

You say "Floating reticle". Are you, perhaps, speak of the a reticle similar to Freelancer and X3:TC? If so, then the controls will already be familiar for me!

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 2:25PM Mhaer said

@(Unverified)

Relatively sure you can lock the reticle to the center. I think you guys just have to explore the options settings a bit more.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 2:27PM (Unverified) said

@Mhaer

When I played at the start of NA CB there was no option for that. You could make it super sensitive so you didn't notice it as much, but couldn't lock it down.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 3:55PM Macabre 13 said

@Mhaer

You can lock it down, but it will severely hamper your performance when up against opponents that use free reticle, especially if you use a joystick.

This is what killed the game for me. You severely gimp yourself using a joystick in BP, which, for me, is the only reason to play any kind of flight game. To add insult to injury, you can't execute any "tactics" commands with a joystick, not to mention the lack of sensitivity controls for joysticks.

Poor form, gamigo/Reakktor.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 1:45PM blix2006 said

i read the item mall cripples this game so i never bothered cashing in my eu key

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 2:44PM Mhaer said

I think the option was "Remain Centered". I don't know at what point the option was/is there though. I haven't been following it too closely.

I think that you should be able to play that was if you wish at some point, so don't dismiss the game for that alone.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 2:49PM (Unverified) said

@Mhaer

It wasn't as much that as it was the difficulty in keeping and finding groups for missions once the factions came into play. I don't know if it was my time zone or what but there seemed to be a lack of groups.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 3:32PM SocksForYou said

The post says "open-world" play, and a commenter here (Borick) describes the game as "lobby-based."

Can someone clear that up? Can you fly or warp from system to system, or do you queue up for PvP/missions taking place on unconnected maps?

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 3:55PM Revrant said

@SocksForYou Yes I would like to know this as well, can anyone confirm? The post just sounds like the developers pumping their product, is that tidbit mentioned true or false?

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 3:55PM Borick said

@SocksForYou Sorry. There is "Open-world" play in public instanced zones with public quests, but there is no gathering or transport commerce. It's a mistake for me to call it 'lobby-based'. It would be more appropriate to say that it's heavily instanced and linear. Undirected play isn't well-fleshed out in my opinion.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 4:02PM Macabre 13 said

The only meaningful zones are lobby-based.

The "open-world" is just another limited instance where anyone from either faction can pop in and blast each other.

These zones are rife with gankers and griefers, where even your own faction will gun you down with zero penalty. Personally, I was fine with the gankers, as I'm always a fan of open PvP, but the same-team griefers were annoying as hell, since there was no penalty for team-killing.

Also, as Borick mentioned, the zones weren't well-fleshed out, and even the open PvP was utterly meaningless, with no progression or rewards offered for it.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 4:21PM Revrant said

@Macabre 13 That is distressing, how is the combat? If we were to rate it on a scale of utterly boring EVE Online space combat to exciting Starlancer space combat, where might it fall?

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 4:39PM Beltyra said

@Revrant
I didnt play starlancer but it is no where near the "trading blows" of EVE! Its a full on Tie Fighter/X-Wing-esque space combat game where you can upgrade individual parts of your ship and jump to different instances to mostly dogfight. There are some cool capital ship fights as well where you focus on taking down shield generators and weakpoints in the hull which can break up the combat pace, too.

This is very much an action game, it just needs a lot more work IMO! See my comment below :-)

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 4:39PM Borick said

@Revrant I've not played Starlancer. My comparison studies are Elite, the X-Wing vs Tie series, Freelancer, Freespace and (more recently) Vendetta Online. Of those, the combat in Black Prophecy felt most like Freespace to me. You have WASD movement with strafing, reverse and roll (I was unable to reverse-roll to evade shots).

The controls feel responsive in the third-person view mode. I got to circle and strafe and play bumper-spaceships, and it's important to note that tight maneuvers are hotkeyed and not a product of your flight controls.

Reticle is floating by default. I didn't think much of the target overlay (Too small, no heading/speed marker and the floating lead indicator was tough to follow with the already-floating reticle marker).

I didn't get a chance to suss out the balance of PVP combat. I was a lamb among packs of jackals. Packs.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 4:36PM Beltyra said

I like the looks of this games engine and the zones were really pretty. The story telling and pacing is just garbage, as is 99% of the voice acting. Its super linear and pretty restricting as well as the upgrades are not well rounded or inspiring to pursue.
All of the items need skill points spent on your character which you only get from leveling up...which is not often. So in order for me to get a new slightly slightly better gun from the vendor, I need to have spent say 4 points in energy weapons(not weapons, mind you, but energy weapons specifically as there are projectile, energy, missles etc). Well for me to spend 4 points in this I also need to have spent 4 points in an over all skill that is arbitrary that allows me to have upgrades to level 4. So I need to spend 8 points to get a gun that is one upgrade step from the starter. How many points is 8 points? Well at level 5 (a couple hours into the game) I got 3 points for leveling up.

Yup.
Have fun upgrading.

"Crafting" also is a mess right now as it takes a solid 25 mins just apply a basic +1 to a gun. That is to say, you have to sit at the screen on the space station staring at a progress bar for 25 mins. So yeah, no one is doing upgrades and crafting.

The main focus of this game is the ship to ship dogfights. Which are pretty fun! I like the graphics, the flight sim aspect, and the tools of combat. It's just got a lot a lot a LOT of passes to get this thing up to speed if they want to actually charge people money for it. We've evolved to have much higher expectations from a game like this, IMO.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 5:12PM SocksForYou said

Thanks for the feedback everyone. BP sounds a little weak at the moment.

I was kind hoping for a big Eve-like universe, except with combat that's actually fun :(

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 7:31PM Bartlebe said

@SocksForYou

Yeah, only in a dream.

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 3:57AM Macabre 13 said

@SocksForYou

Jumpgate Evolution would've been more to your liking (and mine), I think...

Too bad it's vaporware.