Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:07AM jealouspirate said

They don't really interest me, but only because I've come to expect that they'll suck. How these things usually go is that there's a "primary" product (ie movie) and then companies will release a bunch of mediocre, half-assed stuff alongside it like games and books, which are deliberately rushed to market in order to cash in on hype from the 'real' product. When was the last time you played a move tie-in game that was halfways decent?

Trion's whole TV show and MMO thing worries me because TV shows are so fickle. If it's not doing well they'll drop it without a second thought, and then your game's defining feature is gone.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 11:46AM MagnetHead said

@jealouspirate I personally liked the Lord of the Rings games a lot, along with the Return of the Sith game for the "3" Star Wars movie.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:12AM (Unverified) said

It's a gimic. A game is all about the game, and it's quality as a game. If the game is good enough, video clips, audio dubbing, it's better then any show.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:17AM Pewpdaddy said

@(Unverified)

What s/he said, it's just more money mongering. STO tried it to, or did that even get off the ground? If your game is good take solace in that. I mean seriously who has time to watch TV and play an MMO!! =p

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:18AM Ghostspeaker said

I'm interested in good games. Media tie-ins are a nice bonus, but if the game sucks then I'm not interested. So I suppose that in the final analysis it doesn't matter either way. As far as I'm concerned a game rises or falls on the merits of its gameplay, not on whatever IP it happens to be attached to, whether that IP includes a TV series, comic book, or a line of attractive underwear. A quality IP helps, but it won't determine success or failure on its own.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:23AM Kitanishi said

NO, for pure reason its connected to SYFY.

SYFY is on the roll on canceling good scifi shows. First Caprica was gone, now SGU is gone too. Soon that channel will not have any scifi left, only wrestling, ghost hunters and cheap fiction shows like wh13.

I have no doubts this tie-in will be canceled within a season(with cast and crew getting fired through twitter no less) so I see no reason to be interested in anything in it.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:28AM ndessell said

@Kitanishi
caprica was terrible and sgu failed because it tried to re-invent stargate but didn't drop the oh nooz we're in trouble run through the gate mold. honestly Syfy is in a rut because you can't pump the nerd well that hard for this long, but the next cult classic god child is soon to be found.

/firesuptheSyfypilotmachine

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:30AM Dumac said

I'm interested in seeing how Defiance turns out. Im not interested otherwise.

If a Guild Wars 2 novel fell into my hands i'd read it and if its good i'll enjoy it. But i don't really want it. I don't want anything but the core product. I don't care for merchandise, mobile versions of the game, novels and comics and that stuff. Just the original product.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 3:08PM Space Cobra said

@Dumac

This generally goes for me; I tend to focus more on the core and less on everything else. All those Dark Horse Star Wars comics and whatever-on-the-spot-made-up lore...whatevah!

But if the sequel/side-stuff is good or even "fun", I'll give it my attention. And there are the usual action figures and whatever.

This project is new/different in trying to link up a show to a game, although it sorta has been done in the past, but not to this degree. Of course, I am interested in the outcome and how they do it, but this is mostly a stated marriage from the start and not a, "Oh, this movie/show was really popular! Quick, let's pump out some related stuff!"

Such pre-interconnections with purpose interest me, but most things added on, especially from fans (or half-baked Lucas who doesn't really care), I can forget about. Of course, that does not apply to everything (entering caveat here), like KOTOR, which turned out well....but comics revolving around KOTOR...meh.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:39AM Mikkhail said

no no no

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:57AM Scarecrowe said

Nope, they don't interest me. I think they'll take focus away from both the game and the TV show and both will end up being bland.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 8:58AM EndDream said

I think its a really interesting project. But it's all useless if its not a well made game/tv show. If it is, I'll be interested.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:00AM Greyhame said

In this case? Not overly. About the only way I'd care about anything other than the game was if the show was accessible for anyone who played no matter where they were, and did not need to subscribe to cable TV to get it.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:01AM Balraw said

I am interested in good games and if the cross media tie allows them the ability to make a good game then its all good. History does tend to point towards such things not being so good but as I try not to pre judge things I will just have to wait and see what happens with this particular one.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:02AM Shoikler said

I've been a fan of media tie-ins since I was young; even now, many of the books I read are based on other media. Specific to MMOs, I read the WoW novels, and if I had got more into City of Heroes, I'm sure I'd have read those books as well. [I'm not including cases where the MMOs are themselves cross-media tie-ins, for Star Trek, Star Wars, DC, and so on.]

As for Defiance, I suspect I'm not going to be able to play the game, so if I watch the show, that will be the primary medium for me.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:19AM Misterlee said

It depends on what it is. I read several Warcraft novels when I was playing that game and enjoyed getting some history and back stories about the world and characters. Similarly I have/am enjoying the Guild Wars novels which are bridging the gap between the current and next games.

They work well because they are totally seperate, you can read the novels without playing the game and enjoy them, likewise you can play the games and never look at the novels quite happily. I'm not sure about this game/tv show tie-in. But then I don't watch tv so it won't bother me either way.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:22AM Carolina said

Not really. I just want the games I play. Stop spending money trying to make more money with side material.

...or just give up making SWTOR and continue making the awesome trailers as little movies :D I know, off topic, but I've been feeling that way since the last one.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:29AM Malagarr said

Like others have said, if the game is good, it may be worth it. But in this case, that will also require the TV show to be good. SyFy hasn't exactly had a great record when it comes to its shows.

I'll probably watch the first couple of episodes to get a feel for whether or not the show will be any good. Then, if it looks promising, and if Defiance is F2P, then I'll give the game a shot. But I can not see myself paying money to play Defiance, especially when it will, presumably, be coming out about the same time as SWTOR.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:32AM ndessell said

i haven't repelled an alien invasion on earth in a bit, so im down. Hell i might even petition to keep it going when the tie in goes blam-O.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:39AM Halldorr said

Yes, VERY excited for this. If the show and game are both of decent quality I think it will turn out quite well. Have been waiting for more news on this project for a long time now.