Posted: Jun 8th 2011 5:51PM Averice said

I tried my best to quit questing in Rift but it just isn't possible.

Level 30-49 questing is a HUUUUGGEEE GRIND. It's seriously just a gd grind and it's so painful. Each level takes forever, each level takes more quests than the previous level did. And the quests themselves go back and forth back and forth to and from the same hub to the same killing zone like 3 times each. It's a mindless traversal time waster.

But back to the question at hand.

Warfront only leveling. If you are a plate/chain class and choose mining + armorsmithing and weaponsmithing, and spend all your time not in warfronts searching for ore, it's possible. Problem? Warfronts do not pop but once every 20 minutes during peak, and but once every 5 hours during non peak... aka, wait until peak time cause you ain't getting in one. You have to make your own gear because there is no solid gear you can get from warfronts. Every 10 levels you can grab 2-3 pieces of armor out of what, a 12 piece set or something? You will be woefully undergeared. You can't do this with rogues or mages b/c you have to kill things to get your armor mats, and well, then you're just grinding mobs...

Rift leveling - I met a few people that did this already. It seemed to work fine, again, plate and chain classes have a much better time keeping their armor up to date. Main problem with rift leveling is that the big rifts only come once every 3-5 hours, and even then you will only get 1 blue shard or 1 purple shard, and you need about 3-4 of each to get one piece of gear. Needless to say, that is a lot of time. People leveling with rifts mostly found themselves out of the zone before gaining enough shards to even get any gear, at which point they were completely under geared for the next zone.

Rift is not set up for non quest leveling. It has great supplements to quest leveling, but the meat of their leveling system is quests. I laughed when that dev talked about how they were going to level 17-50 just through running dungeons with the new LFD tool.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 5:52PM Armequen said

Rift is cool this way - many choices for leveling: PVP, warfronts, Rifts, Quests, instances and raid. Pretty much anything suit anyones tastes.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 6:39PM mispoem said

I play on one of the higher pop. servers and decided to try the rift/wf approach to level when the game went live. I actually had a good time with it and was able to level at a reasonable pace. The higher pop. helps trigger rift events more frequently and there are usually people around to help so they go smooth. End game is still too traditional but the game is growing. :)

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 7:29PM MMOaddict said

I tried this already. It's a nightmare. I rolled a rogue and decided to just pvp and do rifts. Needless to say he's still stuck at level 15. It's just not rewarding enough, not enough sandbox play in the game to warrant skipping the xp from questing. To top it off, it's indicative of how endgame is. Boring and pointless. This game needs a huge heaping patch of FLUFF and alternate gameplay.(WoW suffers from the same issues)

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 11:37PM Jeromai said

I intend to do this more or less with a rogue alt.

I struggled with the tutorial and Freemarch introduction quests up to about level 8, got bored out of my mind having done them up to 5 times now. From 8 to 10, I massacred tons of wolves and crocodiles to level Butchering and supply my other crafters. Then to lvl 17, I focused on primarily playing Black Garden (Wolfsbane warfront pop times aren't half bad). Instead of sitting around in town queueing, I just sat in a field of Endless sorcereresses and reavers and mob killed while waiting.

I enjoy the combat, so I think between goals of accumulating masses of hides, rifting, and mob killing, interspersed with PUG dungeons and warfronts, minimal questing is doable. It's an alt, so I can twink with crafted equipment rather than rely on the quest equipment.

It'll be pick-and-choose questing nearer the higher levels, I suspect, rather than avoid them all entirely. If I'm going to mob kill in an area, I may as well pick the quests for those areas and get them completed. The point is just not to obsess and go, ok, killed 8/8, stop killing those now, next. But I wouldn't not turn in a quest item that dropped after killing a rare mob.

In my opinion, the mindset to get into is that picking up a quest is optional. Not a must. Nor a must-not. Just do what you feel like doing, and get xp for it. Otherwise, quests are still a system with too much hold over your choice of gameplay, be it doing them, or staunchly avoiding them because augh, they're grindy, arrgh.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 3:43AM Graill440 said

I thought about the dynamic content verbage you used in your piece, and your stating no quests allowed for your experiment. That dynamic content is quest oriented in the form of a public quest catagory.

So unless your simply grinding, i really do not see your using "dynamic content" which is actually public questing (the rifts or the invasions running around), to level, as it will not meet your criteria.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM