Posted: Jun 8th 2011 2:00PM Space Cobra said

Well, this seems like a very "young" style of gaming, but I am a bit interested in it.

I think the lack of troll is because of factors like cash shop, anime, cuteness, and social games.

It's good to hear of such games with some realized "world/sanbox" things to do and lots of mini-games.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 2:30PM Kaoy said

This is the one with the Zodiac classes, correct? If so, I might have to try this one over the weekend, since there seems to be at least a few things unique enough about it to warrant some interest.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 3:00PM coercer said

I miss Voyages of Vanguard and the Ryzom videos. Beau I have been reading your stuff for a while and to be frank I'm bummed. You write so well and usually have a genuinely unique insight on many games. It seems like a waste that so much of your talent goes into covering the worst of the worst games, I mean, sure there are Mabinogis out there but mostly its f2p grinding garbage or poorly executed browser rubbish. I would rather see your take on say Age Of Conan, Asherons Call, or Istaria ( I know you have spoken on the games in the past but you get the idea). Games that are truly missed out on and could use your special brand of praise that makes them immediately more appealing. I think Massively would be well to do to allow you to explore old gems rather than cover the newest junk.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 5:21PM Beau Hindman said

@coercer Well, thank you! :) To be honest, though, all games deserve a look, and I've found that many of the foreign/import market is trying things that no one else does. There's hundreds published every year, as well.

Again, thanks for the praise -- but don't worry, I'll get to some of those larger titles as well!

beau

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:28PM Ghostspeaker said

Maybe it's stupid, and doesn't really matter in the larger scheme of things, but it makes me happy that they included same-sex marriage due to player demand. That's just too awesome for words.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 11:36PM Vazzaroth said

@Ghostspeaker

I bet a main reason it wasn't in it before was because you'd have dudes marrying each other purely for game benefits. Friends with benefits, in fact...

Then again, the only men I know of who are that secure in their sexuality already are into dudes, so I guess it doesn't change much.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 12:24AM Ghostspeaker said

@Vazzaroth

I'm pretty sure people did that when it was purely opposite-sex couples. In fact, I imagine the whole point of the system is to get people to do that. It doesn't strike me as a dating sim kind of thing so much as a "find someone to duo with" kind of a thing, so the game winds up with a more social atmosphere.

It's more likely the reason is because it's from Japan, where gay marriage isn't even a question. People are still pretty socially conservative by and large and discrimination is still a huge problem for LGBT folks over there. There's no laws against it or anything like there used to be in the US or still is in lots of countries, but the social stigma is pretty bad and legal rights and protections are pretty much nonexistent.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 1:57AM ClassicCrime said

I've seen game marriage and online dating in games and think nothing of it.. but.. err, this kiddy match making system sounds a bit over the top... x_x Actually, it just sounds flat out creepy. Imagine some 13 year old girl getting in a pretend "relationship" with a 40 year old guy or something... (because old guys do play games like these)