Posted: Jun 8th 2011 3:52PM Daemodand said

I'll give this one a go, keeping an open mind to just enjoy it for what it is. My only concern is they're going to need three factions for balance if it's a PvP heavy game instead of just two. Also, F2P PvP tends to get pretty expensive to stay competitive, so that is a worry. But hey, F2P also means you lose nothing in checking it out, so why not?

I'm a hardcore old-school Trek fan, but I realize you can never get a "true" Trek experience in a video game. But I had fun in non-massive multi-player PvP in both Starfleet Command 2 and 3, and if this is anything like that, I'll be happy enough.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 4:50PM dudes said

Not bad at all.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 4:51PM ActiveNick said

So, reading the game features, here is my interpretation of how it translates:

• Easy to pick up and play. Read: No depth.
• Browser-based & Free to play. Read: Be ready to look at a lot of ads while you play.
• Select your vessel. Read: Space only. No real avatar. No ground play. No crafting. No ship interiors. Covers about 1.2% of what Star Trek is.
• Embark on missions and freely explore star sectors. Read: Random mission & sector generator, very grindy.
• Rise in level, gather special ship equipment or master skills by building up you own crew. Read: More MMO grind.
• Flash technology. Read: Bloatware in a browser.
• Tackle missions on your own or join up with fellow Captains for cooperative gameplay. Read: Online game, not MMO.

I'll try it to be able to see for myself, but I doubt it'll take me away from STO for more than 10 minutes.

Posted: Jun 12th 2011 12:16PM HardyHarHar said

@ActiveNick Yeah, that sounds about right.

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 5:43PM Equillian said

Ladies and gentlemen, CBS gives you:

Star Trek: AnotherMMOCauseWe'reSorryAboutSTO

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 6:08PM entropyboy said

any Star Trek MMO is not true to Star Trek if more than 1% of the game has anything to do with starship combat.

i get that space combat is cool and all - but where is my Star Trek game where i explore, do diplomatic missions, run medical supplies, and do all sorts of things other than just killing ships??

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 12:24AM ActiveNick said

@entropyboy STO has ground and space missions, crafting, diplomacy missions, stellar anomaly scanning, planetary aid missions, time travel, fleet actions, archaeology missions, an insane amount of lore, common & custom alien species, Star Trek gadgets, technobabble, the sounds and visuals you love from the shows, a wide variety of ships, weapons, and uniforms, familiar locales and space stations, dabo gambling, tribbles (you can even breed them)... I could go on and on.

Sure, the exploration factor is weak, it has more combat than the shows (you need to expect it in any MMO) and the game is not perfect, but it's damn fun...

and it's the most comprehensive game you can find if you want to play in the Star Trek universe...

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 5:44PM Protoavis said

@ActiveNick

Yes they technically have all that but most of them are fairly weak, largely cosmetic with no real gameplay impact or just so very poorly done (ie do nothing other than click on them) like the ones listed below

"crafting, diplomacy missions, stellar anomaly scanning, planetary aid missions, archaeology missions"

Posted: Jun 8th 2011 9:33PM Firix said

So, essentially it is another 2D browser Trek game with some multiplayer.

STO has some great stuff coming on the horizon (namely the Ground combat changes in Season 4) so this is yawn

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 5:37AM Snichy said

I thought the title "Infinite Space" was encouraging as infinite space was exactly what STO did not provide (more like tiny space in a small box with invisible walls) but after reading the quote: " The devs are calling it an "action-tactic" MMO, and it title will hopefully give players just what they have been asking for in a Trek MMO." I'm not so sure. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the main criticism of STO that it was TOO combat focused and not enough diplomacy/exploration like the "real" Star Trek??

Comparing this to STO and saying it will be the game that STO should have been is way wide of the mark but maybe it will be a fun little game for an hour or twos entertainment not least because it has the ST badge, cant think it will be any more than that and would probably be a non-starter if it didn't have the IP.

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 11:09AM Quarlo said

When STO came out one if the big complaints was that there was too much combat. Now theres a game with nothing but combat.

Plus the sounds (ships engines, weapons, etc..) are off. Makes you wonder how much of the IP they really have to play with.

Posted: Jun 13th 2011 2:45AM pcgneurotic said

Yeah. Over-excited I guess.

Anyone else? ;)

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 11:33AM Snowblind said

Star Trek Online is a pretty terrible game.. I'm impressed that the developers for this seem to actually care about Star Trek and seem to be putting a lot of effort into recreating the universe, where as Cryptic seemed to be developing a generic sci-fi MMO and then slapped the Star Trek branding onto it at the last minute.

I also like how reminiscent this looks of the Starfleet Command games, which are still my favourite Star Trek based games.

It's obviously not going to have the scale of STO, but hopefully they can add more if the game is successful.