Posted: Jun 7th 2011 9:45AM Pewpdaddy said

Trion has done well enough in their own right. I don't understand the push by them to be lumped in with WoW. I personally did leave Rift and go back to WoW, but it was after a 3 yr. hiatus. Rift definitely has the "on rails" feel, but if you like play it. It was fun for me until the new wore off. Basically now a days, anything fantasy is too much like WoW, and well a number of friends still play there. Which is why I went back after so long.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 9:50AM Dumac said

• 1 heart
You're prepared to say how many boxes you (almost) sold but you are only prepared to alude to the amount of subscriptions. They are just trolling blizzard and by extension they are trolling everyone who believes this bullshit.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 9:52AM dinhosaur said

• Half a heart
I guarantee you rift does not have 600k active subscribers.

1. They are "nearing" the 1million sold mark

2. They have hemorrhaged subscribers since launch.

3. The interview with the trion guy is delicately worded to imply that rift stole the subscribers without actually claiming they did, because he knows they probably didn't. (WoW always loses players in waves after they play through an exp)

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:22AM (Unverified) said

@dinhosaur
He is just trolling Blizz ... any publicity is good publicity ... going after Blizz will turn a few heads and get a few more people to look at his game.

BTW, I am not completely convinced they are hemoraging subscribers anymore ... while there used be only 2 full servers at prime time, I am seeing like 5 full servers at prime time now ... and that is just in the last month or so (maybe b/c of the free 7 days ... don't kow) ... so, it looks like, from a high level view, that maybe it has leveled out.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:23AM Suhaira said

@dinhosaur
Lol every game hemorrhages subscribers after launch. People try the new shiny, decide its not for them, and move on.
As long as Trion is still making new sales they are doing well. A lot of mmos are thrown into the bargin bin by now, desperate to attract new players and fight the reputation that the game is buggy and trash. Trion instead has reputation for a decent game, and if people like the fantasy mmo genre, they will probably try Rift out.
Whether or not the game is your cup of tea, you have to admit, a lot of mmos wish they had a launch as good as Rifts to build their game on.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 9:53AM (Unverified) said

Trion is not trying to kill WoW,It is a game made to take away WoW players who want something new but not that new.Trion is like a bunch of remora on a whale shark.Trion will gladly take people who get tired WoW it does not really matter if those people leave after because they will always get new WoW refuges.It is quite a brilliant plan WoW 11.5 million subs as long as you can get some of those guys every year your game will live.Trion know who it is marketing to and it is brilliant.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:00AM JuliusSeizure said

I wonder if I was the millionth?

Yeah, I caved and bought RIFT. It's a well-crafted game and will do to fill time until something I really want comes out. It's not exciting, but at least I have people to talk to and do stuff with.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:18AM (Unverified) said

haha ... I personally appreciate that Trion has the nuts to go straight at Blizz.

Hell, everyone else in the world is making the comparison ... Why should Trion ingore the elephant in the room. I applaud the guys for being aggressive with it.

That being said, I am an ex-WoW player (and will never, ever return - this time I mean it for sure!!! lol) ... and I am currently playing Rift ... Rift is OK ... it is solid and runs well ... the world will get bigger and better; people seem to forget that Blizz has 6+ years of post-launch development ahead of Trion ... Rift is only going to get bigger and better with time (if they can hold their player base!)

^^^^But, at the end of the day, while I am not going back to WoW ... I will be, 99% liklihood, going to SWTOR when it drops ... and GW2 and TSW are on my list too ... all three likely ahead of Rift for me in the long run.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:26AM Furdinand said

The funny thing is that Rift players were swearing that they had 1 million fellow players in the headstart before launch. Guess that was an overestimation.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:37AM (Unverified) said

@Furdinand Actually, I think that was based on Trion saying that they had registered 1 million plus accounts. But I am pretty sure that included folks that just signed up for accounts so that they could post on the forums.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:26AM Tom in VA said

Hmmm, I did leave WoW, but I did not switch to Rift. While there are no doubt many WoW veterans now playing Rift, not EVERYONE who left WoW in recent months is now playing Rift. I just got tired of Cataclysm, and Rift did not appeal to me.

Instead, I am presently biding my time with SPRPGs until an MMO comes along with a bit of story and/or depth. Rift would have to offer a whole lot more than it currently does to pull me in. Rift just doesn't seem to offer that much more than WoW does, frankly. The rifts themselves seem too much of a one-trick pony; I think I'd tire of that mechanic pretty quickly.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 10:40AM (Unverified) said

@dinhosaur

WoW is anomaly.I think only two other game with subs ever top 2 million subs are Aion and Lineage.All mmo lose subs after launch it is rule of saturated mmo market when are in even the might WoW feels every time a big game released.No mmo is probably do those numbers with sub plan.A new 2 or 3 mmo release every couple of months and they more online games than ever.

What ever number Rifts has it more than EvE,Lotro or City of Heroes which are the success stories for MMO other than WoW.Rifts has more people than War and AoC at this same point.And Rifts has not hit the Asian market where WoW get its big numbers from.

Any where between 300K and 600K is successful game base on what we have seen in the market.That number without being in Korea or China is pretty amazing.People need perspective when looking at the mmo market and the first step is to ignore WoW numbers and look at everything else.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 11:04AM Mikkhail said

@(Unverified)
Good point. +1

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 11:09AM SaintV said

If Rift wasn't so generic in every way I woudl say Rift would have a strong chance of growing more but don't thin that is going to happen especially with TOR right around the corner.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 11:09AM Haldurson said

I see new players all the time in Rift, and the server I'm on, plus about a half-dozen others actually were 'full' on Sunday. Not a single player in my guild that came from WoW has gone back to WoW so far as I know (and we've been around since beta).

It's true that some servers are underpopulated, which is why Trion will be allowing free transfers to 'select' servers (in other words, good luck transferring to Faeblight or any of the other high pop servers).

It's nearly always a mistake to project your own feelings about a game (or anything) on others, or to say how OTHER people feel. Yes people have been leaving, but more people have been coming. Same thing happens with every game, including WoW That's not news, that's just the cycle of life.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 11:13AM Mikkhail said

@Haldurson

I am seeing a lot more full servers during prime time these days than I used to ... that cant be a bad sign for Trion.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 11:10AM Sorithal said

I would be one of those who left WoW and joined RIFT, because I was for awhile.

Now I'm bored in general with fantasy MMOs, so while I really love RIFT and love how Trion is handling it, I'm not really bothering to spend more money on it right now.

It did leave a nice refreshing taste though after how stale WoW has become.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 12:43PM doublerainbow said

With a future release in Russia later this year you can bet that Rift will continue to grow, which is good. We need another publisher like Trion Worlds out there who can put out a solid product, and hopefully they will continue to learn what the MMO community wants.

Rift might not be able to compete with SWTOR and GW2, but it was probably better it got in several months of good development time before those bombs dropped. Anyway, it will be very interesting to see where Trion takes Rift in the future.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 12:48PM Triskelion said

@doublerainbow Russia? The real sub numbers are in Asia.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 12:46PM Triskelion said

• 1 heart
LOL- all of the Trion fanboys just stained their Underoos.

I got so bored with RIFT after two weeks. I have a friend that is still playing, and even he said as soon as something else comes along he is gone. RIFT, unlike so many other recent MMOs, launched at exactly the right time - if you recall WAR and AoC launched right around major expansions for WoW?