Posted: Jun 6th 2011 7:12PM mispoem said

Another issue I am finding as a lower level toon, is I constantly have higher level people whispering me (yes I know I can shut down whispers but then I lose out on potential whispers from folks my level) to be my mentor just to do their quest. I am one of the crazy people who wants to play the game without the mentor easy button. I think the mentor program could be good, if they adjust it a little so that folks like me don't lose our ability to quest because a roaming band of mentored folks comes through and kills everything in front of us.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 7:13PM Laren said

I haven't noticed mentors slaying everything. I solo played to 25 over the weekend and didn't have any issue finding stuff to kill. I chose asmodian, though, so maybe that is the difference. Or maybe the problems start at higher levels?

I have no qualm getting players power leveled in an mmo. You don't really learn your class until end game anyways.

I am really enjoying this game. There are so many ways to level now. The diversity is great. And the adventurers guide is perfect for new players. I got a gold weapon for free at 25! How cool is that?

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 9:27PM (Unverified) said

Overall the Pros out weigh the negatives hands down. It's given a massive boast to the community, people are extremely helpful and positive. This could be a key system in MMO, that everyone else tries to clone.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 10:16PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Completely agree. I've been enjoying the mentor system as Elyos and have not noticed a hindrance in grouping or mobs for lower level characters.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 9:54PM Nhoj1983 said

Personally I love it. Myself a 55 am really able to help the lowbies in my guild... they aren't just faceless names on the board because we travel in different circles.. I haven't yet done one mentoring quest but I have run the fire temple and helped a few new members level their characters through the early stages. If you've got a guild who loves to help each other it's a win win situation...

On the other hand I realize that there is now a market for powerleveling.. aka "you get me to my next level I'll pay you this". Still.. who cares? You've got friends higher level than you? You can still party. Sure it'll be easy mode but we all know that end game is where the meat of things are. It encourages people to interact.. and yes it can be abused but when it's not it's a beautiful thing.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 12:31AM Naru now in 3D said

As a mentor, I try to be really friendly and helpful to my lowbie mentees instead of just using them, abusing them, and tossing them away after my Orichalcum Key daily quest is done.

It can be really fun, like the other day I ended up guiding a whole group of lowbies through the Veteron elite Krall area and we talked and joked and they leveled and filled up their cubes with goodies faster than I've ever seen.

However, being too nice means every time I try to do my daily I end up spending hours farming mobs for some lowbies (who are often just a highbie's alt) and, while it's often fun and builds community, I just can't devote that much time to mentoring every day no matter how much I want those beautiful Orichalcum Key wings!

I wonder at what point I can duck out of the group without seeming unfair to the mentees and leaving them high and dry... there's gotta be a happy medium in there somewhere!

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 2:09AM Pastaparty said

Yeh all good experiences here. Mentors were a good idea. You do something for the mentees and they help out you!

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 6:40AM sauceofmagic said

@ the disadvantages:

Now: the solo-ers that like it "the hard way" are probably levelling their N-th alt. I somehow doubt many new players join Aion.

Later: I don't need to kill one billion mobs to learn how to play a tank or a dps or a healer (due to Aion not being the first MMOG); AND those who do kill that billionth mob will still be bad in groups if they never grouped.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 6:42AM Aventis said

I think its the best thing to ever happen to an mmo community.. i dont see this level of interaction and high level players actually teaching lowbies in any other mmo ive played... good job aion :)

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 8:33AM (Unverified) said

I haven't noticed lack of mobs while leveling. I'm an Asmodian, lv 23, and so far I've seem more solo players than mentors. I'm also one fo those that are just soloing the game so far. The game is so much easier from when I played back in launch that I don't think I need a mentor. Also, I don't really know how to get one. Should I just whisper random people? I don't know how the system works exactly, so I haven't bothered with it and I'm not really missing it. Rewards from leveling (those tickets) already are giving me the best gear and items, so solo playing has been smooth so far.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 9:18AM Lorell said

MJ Guthrie, you seems like you really need to find some cons on this system, even tho most of the people enjoy it very much? Yes, ofc any system / features isn't without cons, but I've never seen any of problem you have mentioned. I haven't seen million of high lvl players who take one or two low lvls and go kill every elite mob in sight, preventing other low lvls to killing mobs...

Even more, if you ever would have such a problem (that high lvl player kill everything before you can even hit it), wtf why can't you just go whisper such player so he can add you to his/her mentor party? I was once mentoring some friend (campainge quest) and some other low player asked me to join us and everyone was happy.

Beside, neither daily mentor quests, nor elite/campaign quests required to kill tons of mobs, most of the time you need to kill like 10 mobs and after that you and your mentee are done, so who talk about killing mobs in whole elite area? Even more, weekly / some daily mentor quests required you to help various instances, so killing there a mobs would hardly "hurt" other low lvl players.

To sum up, I'm happy they had added Mentor system, I can one help my friends and legion mates, without "stealing" theirs loot or exp! With my help, they finish quests so fast, that I don't even notice and they can go do other things (like crafting) thanks to that they saved some time with me.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 11:58AM edgecrusherO0 said

Since 2.5 (when I cam back), I've been a mentee (highest level char is my 39 temp that I've been leveling slowly, primarily due to the fact that my inventory is constantly flooding and I was too lazy to level up broker alts) and it was great. I chatted with the higher level and got some great xp/loot/a few quests done.

That being said, I definitely haven't noticed mass graveyards of mobs anywhere. Sure, every now and then the mobs you need for a quest are going to be farmed out, but I haven't noticed that any more than before mentoring.

The system does have its potential downsides, but IMO the increased social aspect (you're interacting with players you normally would never talk to who are frequently friendly and will give you tips ect.) as well as the help leveling (the "grind" is significantly lower now with all the additional quests they added in too) are extremely good benefits. The potential for instant gratification/mememe/hitting cap without knowing your class isn't much greater than it was before. Only certain people will stick through this game (and the sitgma attached to it for some reason) and I never found any mentor system to cause the mentee's to level up without understanding their class (at least the mentor system causing it). It's more or less the same in EQ2, because the mentor, while scaled to your level, is still at least 3-4 times as powerful as you (if the level gap is high enough) and can go through mobs like they're nothing.

Posted: Jun 7th 2011 12:26PM MJ Guthrie said

Some people seem to misunderstand that acknowledging disadvantages does not equate to bashing or hate. Personally, I think the system is great and a boon to the community with many advantages (as I believe I have plainly stated on two separate articles now). However, that does not mean I blindly think something is the second coming of greatness and ignore everything that might lend credence to the contrary. I have noted its misuse and heard complaints from others. It is an issue of interest to some in the community, so I will not ignore it just because it goes against the posting mainstream.

Honestly, for as much as I praise Aion, you'd think I would be accused of swinging the other way and never acknowledging the faults. As for this column, it is meant to relate to the game we all play, without ignoring the good, the bad, or the ugly.

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale