Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:10PM Nucleon said

To me it sounds exactly like the system EQ2 has been running for ages. If too many people are in the same zone, it instances it out to fit the demand, but allows everyone to be on the same server. So you get Gfay(1,2,3,4,5) but at any point any player and switch to another branch of Gfay to meet their friends.

As a gamer, I would *love* if the concept of servers and shards disappeared and we could play with whoever is playing the game. That alone would help smaller (non-wow) games survive and seem thriving since it would help eliminate the perception of decline during daily, weekly, and monthly ebbs and flows of population.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:14PM (Unverified) said

@Nucleon

I am hoping that this isn't just hype for a server/channel system like we see in games like Iris Online or Eden Eternal. It could very well be that they make a channel for pvpers, etc, but I hope they make it more involved than this.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:55PM bobfish said

@(Unverified)

DC Universe is doing this too, calling it Mega Server or something equally as stupid.

Basically it is the same technology that can be found in Guild Wars, Champions, Star Trek and other number of games. The difference apparently in this case and with DCU is that there is an open world to go along with all the instances.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:11PM Nucleon said

Oh forgot to mention, I love EQ2's system.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:16PM Jef Reahard said

@Nucleon

It's not really about being able to switch zones or alleviate overcrowding (which AoC already does, much like EQII).

It's more about choosing to play with people who share your interests, and not having to deal with the folks who don't. This hasn't been done in a large-scale MMO aside from the token 'roleplaying' labels that some companies slap on a server or two (and then fail to enforce).

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:12PM (Unverified) said

I've been a fan of the multiplayer rpg/mmo cross-over idea for a long time but unless Conan pulls off something wonderful I think we are going to have to cross our fingers and hope the new Neverwinter title fits the bill.

I ran NWN1 and 2 Persistent Worlds and it was a dream to be able to add content for the small playerbase I had. I think that this kind of level of personalization is possible, but that developers are going to have to go where no MMO has gone before and let them actually use a toolbox to make some of their own content.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:21PM DarkWalker said

This is not exactly novel; it's the same concept behind DCUO's upcoming MegaServers, and just an evolution, tech wise, to how games like GW have handled players since launch.

BTW, if you think setting aside a "server" for PvP, PvE, RP, whatever would be a huge benefit, imagine being able to seamlessly jumping between them; you want to bash a few heads, you go to the PvP "server", later in the same day you might jump to the RP one to participate in some event, and then back to the PvE one to prepare for your latest raid. Those "servers" could even have quite different, and perhaps even extreme, rules, since a player that didn't like one of them could always just leave for greener pastures.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:36PM Jef Reahard said

@DarkWalker

Indeed, I hope to see a lot of that from Funcom (and every other dev house, tbh).

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 6:39PM (Unverified) said

@DarkWalker
"This can have other uses, too. Imagine bringing every leveling player together; would make for a quite more lively leveling experience, with a lot more players around. It could also resurrect low level PvP by keeping max level players apart from leveling ones; no more players bringing their main into the fray just because they lost in a PvP match, no more high level players hunting lowbies at their leisure."

I *am* imagining it, and it is beautiful haha. Dreammmsss

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 1:48PM wondersmith said

Odd that only now are other MMO devs catching up to where ArenaNet was back in 2005. In any case, glad to see them finally doing so.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:34PM Sente said

@wondersmith

The difference here is that they also talk about different rulesets/types of world areas, but still a shared account/character storage.

Not surprising to see more of this; storage/peristance solutions and their performance have increased significantly through various means in the past few years to cater for increased scalability - it should be only natural that MMOs go in this direction as well.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:34PM Jef Reahard said

@wondersmith

ArenaNet lets you specify whether you want to play on a private copy of the server with roleplayers, PvPers, or PvEers?

Funcom may or may do that, it's really my speculation at this point, but I'd love to see an example of where GW (or any other MMO) does that.

Also, obligatory at-least-you-can-jump-in-AoC reference, lol.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:49PM wondersmith said

@Jef Reahard

No, to the best of my knowledge, ArenaNet just lets you adventure with any other player of the game in the world; no special rules or private versions of the servers. But AoC didn't even let you do that much until this, if my understanding is correct.

So yes, I should have said "catching up to and surpassing". Happy now? :)

Posted: Jun 9th 2011 9:45AM AoCPlayer said

I do now see why Craig was so hesitant to fix the PVP grind for the upcoming B&G server as it would be impossible for players from the B&G server to play with players from the other servers (and vice versa).

This new "mega server" or whatever you want to call it sounds to me like the greatest thing that ever happened to AoC since its launch. No more being unable to find players to group with on your lowbie characters since you can have the entire US or EU player base at your grouping disposal. No more sitting around for an hour hoping a mini game pops with the entire US or EU playerbase all participating in the same mini que system.

Just imagine the Border Kingdom fights between the dominant PVE, RP, PVP, and B&G server guilds all taking place in the same instance of Cimmeria End. As the game is now, there is just no way to challenge people from different servers to any kind of PVP (most people dont want to transfer over their entire guild just to battle another guild in PVP). The smack talk between the US Cimmeria and Tyranny servers was always epic fun but there really was no way to battle those players without transferring over and paying 50 bucks an account- on top of having to start a new guild city)

Soon we will be able to fight anyone from anywhere (just not US versus EU players) in not only mini games but open world PVP. Are you kidding me, that will be so much dam fun. I just hope it doesn't take FUNCOM all of 2011 to make this happen. IMO, AoC will have a massive resurgence once the movie releases so I hope they can keep the players this time as its no fun to play a MMO that resembles a single player game .

Posted: Jun 10th 2011 4:40PM Vazzaroth said

So many times I've been playing an MMO, then a month in I find out my friend has been playing. Then we have the awkward moment of trying to figure out who's server to start over on, and usually we play our characters on the new server once then never again.

Sorry friend, your not worth the 25$ server transfer either :\

I hope fully sharded servers go away forever.

The Stream Team: Warlords of Draenor dungeon fun

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 7:00PM

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM