Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:39PM Tinsel said

I certainly won't dispute the facts that MMOs are hard to make, and very expensive.

However, a game has to be compared to its peers, and Faxion Online is just terrible. I have a very high end machine, and the graphics still look HORRIBLE at the max settings. The game also runs poorly regardless of settings.

The quests are boring, the lore uninspired, the pvp laggy and derivative...I could not find anything to keep me playing the beta for long.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:59PM bobfish said

You know Faxion uses the same engine as SWTOR, the Hero Engine.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:08PM Dril said

@bobfish

This undoubtedly proves that TOR is going to fail, 100%. GW2 will blow its socks off, mark my words.

In other news: Rift used WAR's engine. WAR's combat was awful and laggy. Rift's combat was smooth, responsive, and didn't feel anything like WAR.

A poor workman blames his tools. While, yes, the engine can cause issues, methinks it's not an excuse for shoddy developing.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:52PM bobfish said

@Dril

It is totally the developers fault, the engine is sound, they've just rushed it to release in a year.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 8:02PM Song7 said

@Dril I was amazed to find out that WAR and RIFT used the same engine after hearing that I realized how rushed or badly done WAR was. This is coming from someone who still had a WAR account 5 months ago.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 9:14PM Space Cobra said

@bobfish

The Hero Engine is highly praised around many segments of the community. It's been worked on and polished over many years.

If you are not satisfied with Faxion, you can't blame the engine.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 3:15AM bobfish said

@Space Cobra

I'm not even playing the game, just filling in the missing information from the article.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:14PM preciousj said

I think the total time between install and uninstall on this one was around an hour. There are just too many alternatives out there now to spend time forcing myself into a game.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:42PM Dumac said

Faxion is so much fun! Yes it has its faults, the performance, huge amounts of walking, combat needs some tweaks for feedback to the player. It needs more players, needs crafting (heard they'll add it eventually) and an economy. They need to work quickly on fixing this and getting more layers into the game, it would be such a shame if it went down.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:44PM Dumac said

@Dumac
*layers are good but i meant to say players.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:50PM Panzival said

I tried to like this game, but honestly, the performance was absolutely terrible. I can run AOC at very high settings at 1920x1080, while I get between 20-30 fps at low settings. And it looks like complete shit at low.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:50PM Panzival said

@Panzival

20-30 fps at low settings in Faxion*. I need an edit button :(

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 4:03PM Popplewell said

@Panzival

We al ned an edt buttom

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 5:06PM extispex said

I am pretty sure this game is terrible based on a lot of things but "Of course, I did not experience the PvP that makes up most of the game, so I have no idea what type of issues might or might not be going on there. " is pretty unacceptable for a pvp-centric game. I think all of the comments made in the article are probably very accurate, but not looking at the pvp aspect is extremely weird. It's like writing about Rift without participating in a rift.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 5:18PM Beau Hindman said

@extispex I agree, but unfortunately the idea behind this column has always been to look at the game for a week and report on what I found, not play it until level X or for a month.

Also, the game claims to be enjoyable without ever having to touch PvP -- or at least you can level on PvE content. And we all know how important the newbie experience is.

Don't worry, it's free-to-play, which means I'll be checking back for sure.

Beau

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 6:29PM Dumac said

@extispex
Thing is most of the PvP is at the high levels because there wasn't a wipe after the open beta. Lowbie zones don't have much PvP. You fight for zone control at control points, this gives you access to a special merchant and trainer. There is also open PvP between heaven and hell everywhere except for Purgatory City. Lowbie zones have much more fighting in the open world then at control points, mostly because rewards for zone ownership only appeal to high level players.

There are quests everywhere (i might say too many of them) so you don't HAVE to PvP. It's like playing any WoW-or-similar game on a PvP server. But if you are playing this game you'll probably want to, though. :)

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 7:56PM Ordegar said

I didn't have any performance problems even on high settings. The game, however, felt cheap. I told my friend that I felt like I was playing a game from the 90s, it was that bad. Of course it's all subjective; someone may like the game.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 6:00AM Zuljundwumn said

Spellborn : You waited for it for years, you played it for... Days.

I remember the global chat on day one, it was hilarious :
- Player 1 : Omg this game is ugly.
- Player 2 : Don't sit on the chair in the inn, it crashes the game.
- Player 1 : No seriously, what's wrong with the character creator ?
- Player 3 : What the...

All night long...

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 9:32AM Lenn said

@Zuljundwumn My experience was:

Player 1: Is anyone there?
....
Player 1: Hello?
....

Too bad, really. Spellborn really was an unpolished gem. It's a damn shame nobody wanted to go through the trouble of polishing it.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 12:08PM Ripper McGee said

1) I agree that performance is a major issue, in general, but I just don't experience the same problems other players do. I have an almost 5 year old laptop with a 256 MB GeForce GO 7900 GS and the game runs pretty nicely for me. That being said, there are certain zones that are worse than others (by far). Even on low settings, it also looks good at my native resolution of 1920 X 1200.

2) I disagree with mounts being necessary. Once you get the ability to glide, you'll find it easier to get around, in general (and it's fun). Also, there are teleport stones to every sin zone. If you die, you generally have the option of 3 separate exits (crypt, faction camp, purgatory city). Lastly, if zones are contested, you can teleport directly to them from Purgatory City so you can enter the fray faster and for free. (teleport stones cost gold). I really don't have any issues getting around at all. Just this morning I was grouped with a number of players and we had judgment quests in at least 4 zones. I was able to port between them all and check on spawns in a very short amount of time.

That being said, mounts would be perfect RMT items, IMO. Convenient, but not at all necessary.

FYI, in regards to the Hero engine, Faxion is the first game to release that uses it. I'm not excusing the code, by any means, since I also think the game needs significant optimization, but there's a learning curve to using it. Per Sean Dahlberg, in regards to coding against the Hero Engine and other games:

"There are a few in development (and closed beta) and having come from one of them, I can tell you that they have had a lot of internal development to adjust them for their products."

He was referring to TOR, obviously.

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM