Posted: Jun 6th 2011 11:39AM (Unverified) said

I played EvE enough to know that what psychros says, is mainly true.

There is a reason they are called winmatar and that they field the vast majority of pvp ships, race balance and flying the ship style you like, is non existant. It is eat duckt- tape ships and projectile weapons or refuse, fly laser- energy weapon ships that actually look cool and lose most of your fights due to it.

Secondly, EvE has got what i would call, the most User unfriendly UI I have ever had to use in 10 years of mmo gaming.
Now dont get me wrong, I love EvE, it is something refreshingly different, however, what CCP does with the sub money they receive is vastly udnerwhelming, to say the least, this game isnt progressing at snails speed.

I tried to get several long- time MMO friends into EvE, for most of them it failed at the boring, unintuitive and outdated UI, with the tiny- almost unreadable on high res screens - fonts and tedious menu operations.

Learning curves and depth are great and i encourage it in a mmo but please do not mistake depth with inaccessability and a design which makes the simplest move in the gameworld, very tedious.

This is supposed to be a game, not some wonder- cube the player would have to figure out in order to move his ship properly, its simply bad and lazy design.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 12:27PM Angn said

I think the argument to retain the Overview UI is based on the flawed premise that pilots ought to have complete combat information.

Ships in Eve Online can target only a very limited number of ships at any given time, there is no reason why a combat computer's threat list wouldn't have its own set of related limitations.

For example, assign a processing value to each mass class, and have that value deducted from a pooled CPU value in order to have a given object tracked in the list. The smaller the object, the higher the value; then have sensor resolution provide a cost reduction for the small masses. It further reinforces the segmentation of responsibilities for various fleet craft.

I'm looking forward to UI improvements. I hope CCP uses that opportunity to refactor systems as well.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 1:08PM Xilmar said

I like the UI. Sure, it looks different, it's hard for noobs to master, it's not as shiny as most other games. But then again there are 10 times more things to consider than in any other mmo

It took some time for me to understand it, sure, but some challenge is required in a complex game . Not everyone should know the ins and outs of setting up proper brackets from the start. When that's really needed, there will be people to explain, give advice, forward youtube videos. (coz you'll be in a decent size corp/alliance)

Bottom line is that it's a very powerful tool, that allows very much customization and provides an experienced player with all the information he/she needs.

Oh, and i pray to god that ship scanners will not be part of the basic tools of ships. If my enemies knew my fleet's fittings, and more importantly the fact that i usually have only 2 resistances boosted, no plates/shied extenders, visibly not cap stable or similar apparently silly fittings, i'd go down in a real hurry and wouldn't be able to use my niche fits properly. (god bless the drake fleets with their kinetic only dmg :D:D )

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 2:31PM Vazzaroth said

Oh I know the lore. That doesn't change the fact that I want in-game cockpit UI. Cockpit, pod, w/e. It's not like it makes sense that we're all wearing sunglasses and fancy suits while we're in our embryonic fluid inside that acorn, and that's in the game. I've also wanted to be able to target people's camera drones in PvP.

And it's not like you actually need to see what's going on around you in EVE. You can (And most do I think) target things almost exclusively through the overview. And when I thought of a cockpit view, I didn't mean just one "window" view, since windows on a Space Vessel are a pretty bad idea anyway (Although alot of EVE ships sure seem to have them...), but through a series of smaller monitors you could control the angle and orientation of. For instance you could have 6 monitors around you that you can hold hold CTRL to mouselook between. Maybe due to the fact that you are the ship's brain, no switch flipping, but they could present aspects of the UI more in-character.

Anyway, it would look really cool but be less efficient, and since most people play EVE for the PvP, it would be a bad idea. I despise PvP there, but I can fantasize about this. It would be awesome, but will never happen.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 2:39PM (Unverified) said

You can see so much of the usual Eve dilemma in this post. Hardcore players don't want change, and sadly Eve could be so much better and more. Eve presently discourages new players, the death pentalty, the training system, lack of structure, and the learning curve. With what success Eve has, it could be surpassed a hundred fold, become one of the top subscriped MMOs. Again though, hardcore players pretty much say they don't want new people, casual players. They have this belief that making changes will dumb down the game, when it could add so much more depth, and growth possiblities. Eve the game you want to love SO MUCH, but it's just not there yet. Eve Developers have the tough choices to settle for what success they have, or drag Eve players kicking and screaming in to a successful generation of Eve.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 2:56PM (Unverified) said

QFT

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 5:13PM Celtar said

Honestly the only thing that keeps me from playing EVE is that I can not read the darn text. On 21 or larger sized monitors the text is just too small and the largest font size is 13 if I recall.

Otherwise I loved the look and feel of the game and I'll be unhappy not being able to really play the game until the day they fix that issue. When you find yourself leaning forward closer and closer to the monitor to read text windows and that you end up with headaches from eye strain its not worth playing.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 7:20PM smg77 said

Knowing CCP's current record of making the game worse with every patch I wish they would just add the ability to change the font size and leave the rest alone. But that won't help them develop their shiny new Twilight mmo so it won't happen.

Swordsman launches today