Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:09PM Khalus said

Alot of this sounds great, including from other 'Mog Log' articles, and I've been wanting to back into XI for months now, but couldn't due to POL not wanting to work on my win7 64bit system for some stupid reason, even though it had for 6 months when I played last year.

Anyway, the other day, it finally started to work again, and I was so excited to adventure in Vana'diel again. I began signing up immediately only to be stopped dead with that ridiculous Secure 3D BS that SE requires on ones CC. Twice in the past I've just contacted SE through their live chat and they bypassed it for me. {my bank doesn't support this feature}

However, after waiting over 2 hrs the other day to talk with a rep, so I could finally play again, they shot me down and wouldn't accept my CC. Saying the previous reps should never have bypassed the Secure 3D, and then ended the session with no explanation, or looking at my past account info. I am so F'n pissed off at SE atm.

Seriously though, being the only MMO that requires this Secure 3D is such BS, even their FFXIV doesn't require it, so it makes no sense why its still there. Plus with any other MMO you could sign up within 5min and be playing...argh!

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 7:25AM Chiren said

@Khalus

I hear you and definitely agree. While I do feel like they are making changes at least on the design/gameplay end, they are not looking at things holistically, and they really just don't comprehend how horrible the logistics are - both technically and financially, just to play FFXI.

I too, had problems getting FFXI to run on 64bit OS. I assume you found the 64bit version of POL viewer? I originally had to get it from a random forum post in ffxionline.com. But you can find it if you search for "windows vista" or "windows 7" in the playonline support area.

I too, had problems with 3D-Secure. My credit card vendor didn't support it at the time SE started requiring it. And they were this small obscure company no one had ever heard about called CitiBank. :/

And lastly, I too, have had to go through calls with the US POL support guys. They ended up adjusting my account in such a way that I lost my primary character, and had to create a new one from scratch. Same POL ID, same cd keys, etc... just when I wanted to play FFXI again after a 2 year hiatus... *poof* could not restore character.

Despite all that, plus having to spend 3 hours manually installing FFXI and 10+ hours waiting for the game to re-install it self via updates, I'm still somewhat playing. There's still something insidiously magical about the experience. :/

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:51PM Krag said

Final Fantasy XI sounds so cool - then I install it and play for 60 minutes and realize IT HATES ME. Yes I realize I'm not sticking with it, but I just find it so hard to figure out. To me, it feels like work, and not the fun kind. The sad part is, I really do want to like it, but maybe I just like the concept of it. I find the controls hard and counter-intuitive. The menu system feels ancient. I feel like I spent a lot of time OUTSIDE the game figuring out the game.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 6:29AM AceUnbound said

@Krag

It's actually really easy. It's just hard to play on your own. There is a mentor system (which people never use nor really know about) as well as a beginning quest line that breaks you into the game. But at the moment, you can literally get from 1-50 within a day if you have a friend help you out who has been playing for a while and has a healing/ PL job.

That brings me to my next point, people that join now won't have to deal with dynamis, salvage, nyzul isle, promies (lvl capped), or anything else that used to be a challenge. Whether that is a good or bad thing is subject to one's opinion. I personally see it as a waste of content because a good majority of people that join will not have to do anything involving those. In fact, most of the areas that encompass those events are void of any sort of life.

Perhaps, in the future, they can provide rewards or some sort of incentive to the newer players for finishing out these mission lines or at least participating in these sort of events. Perhaps that will bring people back to the other parts of Vanadiel that are being laid to waste by the scourge of the beastmen.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 6:39PM TheSnake said

@Krag I've told people this before and it always remains true: If you don't have friends playing with you, you won't get anywhere. And yes, the game is a TON of work (Magicite mission, anyone?) but it's really cool once you start seeing the bulk of the cutscenes and stuff. The story is awesome. The only problem I have is Abyssea changing up a lot of things, and seemingly causing a lot of people to become very snooty all of a sudden. "YOU CAN'T PROC WITH A STAFF? GET OUT OF MY ALLIANCE"