Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:17AM Dumac said

CoH super jumping had its charm, as well as teleportation, even though it was awkward and sometimes dangerous to use, don't know if they changed that, its been a long time. Global Agenda jetpacks. Guild Wars map travel is the most practical of course, but doesn't have much charm beyond a pretty loading screen, which is still a loading screen...

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 5:32PM oxlar said

@Dumac

Super Jump in COH is my favorite of all time in any game.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 3:57PM Stormwaltz said

@oxlar

Agreed. Super Jump made travel fun - often more fun than the grindy combat in the middle levels.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:51AM (Unverified) said

How about 30 minutes Auto Pilot in EVE? I recently started playing EvE and about 40% of my time goes in travelling which is not cool.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 2:30PM Beltyra said

@(Unverified)
Auto Pilot takes 10x longer than if you did it manually. Auto Pilot puts you like 10 or 15k away from the gate so you have to wait for your ship to fly in close and jump. Manually lets you jump right to it and if your fast enough you can do it so you never stop.

You'll also not want to use Auto Pilot once you go to low-sec as people tend to gate camp, so it's probably best to break that habit now.

Unless you just use it while you pee, or when I go make a sammich.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:54AM (Unverified) said

My fav is a car.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:56AM Jorev said

Travel by foot. Get to see the world and experience everything and meet everyone.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:59AM Kaoy said

@Jorev A fellow hoofer, here. I stay of mounts except for when I am going either a very long ways or thru an area I have been thru at least 20 times. All the stream-lining and world shrinking in MMOs in the last decade has really kind of killed the best part of the genre for us explorers. I'm a SEKA, but yet I find myself soloing more and more since everyone else in any party I join just wants to 'go go go'. For fuck sakes, smell the goddamn roses for once. Theres more music that the battle theme, you know.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:59AM Jikarta said

I love warping. Any game, doesn't matter. Warping makes me shiver

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:00AM Myopic Aardvark said

Warping through Sector Space in Star Trek Online (at least, since they prettified it and flying above Millennium City or Metropolis in Champions/DCUO.

Light Speed in Champions is fun too, even if I do spend most of my time running round in circles trying to write stuff with it.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:15AM chuckasucka said

I like traveling by foot, by mount, and especially by transforming into an animal that gives me a speed boost. Loved racing around in wolf form in VG as a shaman with speed buffs. But if I am meeting people for something in game, I like things like WoW's rift stones, summons from many games, and GW's teleports are good.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:21AM JuliusSeizure said

DCUO's Speed Force was ridiculously fun for me.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:45AM JuliusSeizure said

@JuliusSeizure

More specifically, storming up the side of a skyscraper, golden lightning crackling around me, leaping as I reach the apex, soaring over the building and a couple more beyond, still pedalling my feet so fast that I generate more energy beneath me to buoy my ascent and slow my descent until I hit the side of another building and immediately run up the side of that one at full velocity.

Might not be efficient, but it feels amazingly badarse.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:25AM DarkWalker said

Long range? Anything that cuts down my travel time to the bare minimum. Although I would love if there was an alternative way to go around involving travel-time mini games, akin to the DS Zeldas.

Short range? For the time being, DCUO's Acrobatics. Gliding, double jumping, and grapple hooks make for a far more interesting time than the plain old flight, for me at least :)

On the other end of the specter, I absolutely abhor any kind of long but non-interactive travel, akin to WoW's Flight Masters (long, for me, being anything over 30s). I pay a MMO to play the game, not to stand staring at the screen while my character travels to it's destination in a completely safe and uneventful manner. If I feel the urge to pick my DS due to having to wait for a predictable and long time, the game has failed me.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:38AM bookahnerk said

At the moment I like the way Guild Wars lets you travel to a safe zone whenever you want or have to.
But my overall favourite till today is the "mark" and "recall" system of Ultima Online, especially in its earlier and more PvP focused days. Nothing was more thrilling than having a bunch of friends responding where they will be entering the area to hunt down a roaming group of PKs or Faction/Guild-enemies.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:48AM OmegaDestroyer said

Light speed in Champions is great.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:53AM Alex Oglitchkin said

Whatever gets me from Point A to Point B fastest!

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 10:11AM JanChel said

Motorcycles! It seems like a missed opportunity for CoH and CO not to have vehicles available for their superheroes. I mean Batman, Wolverine and what have you. It's the coolest mode of travel by far. Also, APB what's wrong with you?

Kudos to Fallen Earth and WoW for having em. And maybe Planetside, those are kinda motorcycly-ish.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 10:23AM MtthwRddl said

Spider-man 3 (yes, not an MMO) hooked me straight from the demo because of how nice the physics were of him swinging around. It was really addicting. Also, you could run and jump off of real high buildings and just fall, and right before you hit the ground, shoot a web line and swing right above the cars. It was as much freedom and enjoyment as I wish any of the other superhero mmos could provide. DCUO comes the closest but still isn't even similar to the perfected physics of the spider-man 3 engine. So much fun to travel to places.

Lego Universe has an irritating form of travel, where you have to go to specific hubs to ride a rocket to a location. When the quest givers start to give you quests in other areas, it takes so long to backtrack to the hub where you landed on that area, fly back to the main hub, run over to the right location's blast off point, blast off, land, find the items, backtrack to the hub where you landed in that area, fly back to the man hub, run over to the location where the quest giver was, blast off to that world, land at that place's hub, find the quest giver and turn in the quest. Really tiresome.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 10:40AM DevilSei said

@MtthwRddl

Yeah, if I was going for a non-MMO game, Spider Man 2 and 3 would be up there for travel powers. I loved slingshotting around, or latching onto a pole and spinning around it, and the fancy little flips and tricks you could do just made it fun to screw around.

InFamous had some fun travel powers too, hopping onto electric wires and train tracks, zipping by while bullet-timing and sniping a few baddies, before leaping off into an electric glide onto a building side and climbing up it in a way that would make Altair or Ezio proud.

MMO Week in Review: ArcheAge has arrived

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: Has the industry revamp worked?

Posted on Sep 14th 2014 6:00PM