Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:35PM Furdinand said

While a global handle would have been nice in hindsight, I want more populated servers so badly that I wouldn't want them to waste a single week more trying to implement it.
Anyone who would quit the game because they didn't get to keep "Cpt. General" either plays so much that they don't have to worry about losing it or has probably already quit. Someone saying "I quit because I lost my name" is really saying "I'm just not that into you".
I also suspect that the majority of the name collisions aren't going to be ones created around a unique character concept. They are going to be the Jaysin Todds, El Kals, Petey Parkours, and BBanners (sorry BB).

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:36PM MagnetHead said

My WoW main ( which I have had since a few weeks post release ) was named Swordfighter. I thought that was cool at the time. I am glad it was ( somehow ) forcibly changed.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:54PM (Unverified) said

The issue I have with DCUO is that once you hit 30 it just kinda stops, at least for me. I HATED having to get groups up for content that I DID want to see but alas never could so quit.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:11PM JuliusSeizure said

Actually, I interpreted their "5% of names" comment to mean that 5% of all names are on EVERY server. This suggests that the majority of names are on multiple servers, and they wanted to downplay that by pointing out that only a small fraction overall are so popular that even a dedicated player has a reasonable chance of losing their name.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:46PM DarkWalker said

First, you got the MegaServers division wrong: it's one US and one Europe server for each platform (PS3 and PC). PvP and PvE players will be on the same server, but divided in different "phases" and unable to interact except through random queues, AH, and mail.

As for the names themselves, the discussion boils down to: should DCUO drop the requirement that names must be unique? Non-unique names are the only way to avoid name clashes and compulsory renaming, but the decision is not completely straightforward - while non-unique names have their own advantages, they also have some disadvantages.

BTW, my preferred method would not be the name handles. Instead, I would love to see each character sport a "secret identity" name, which wouldhave to follow the current naming rules, such as being unique and (mostly) permanent; and one Alias (Hero/Villain name), which would not need to be unique, and maybe could even be changeable from time to time. For example, think about a character with a secret identity of D. Grayson, who started with the Robin alias, and over his career changed alias to Nightwing, and then Batman.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:58PM Yellowdancer said

@DarkWalker

Yah, I've seen this idea on the forums. Too complicated.

Personally, I'm in the camp of "I don't care". Its a name of a digital character. Its not my name. I'm not going to make a big deal about a 0 and 1. But that's me. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. No one is going to be happy no matter what they do. If they were adding global handles, this article would have been about why global handles are bad...

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 3:21PM DarkWalker said

@Yellowdancer

I also don't care about my current character names; they are unusual enough that I doubt I will lose any name, and even if I have to change them, I already have a couple alternatives (AFAIK not used ones) for each of my 6 active characters.

The reason I would love the scheme I described above (usually called "Alter Ego" in the long PC thread) is the increase in RP possibilities. More so if, from time to time, characters can change their alias - and, even more, if the player can choose to display either the secret identity or the alias at any time.

Besides, if SOE plans to change the naming scheme in any way, now is the best time for it.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:55AM Vagrant Zero said

@Yellowdancer While I do care about the name of my characters greatly I would without hestiation change every single one of them to godhatesmarvel or some other travesty if it meant I could get my server merges yesterday.

The game is incredibly fun. It's also incredibly lonely, the pc servers are absolute ghostowns. I'm talking Chronicles of Spellborn bad, I can think of no other MMO to compare it to.

With that said I would like to thank Sony for giving me a free 45 days. Before the naysayers jump in it's absolutely free for me, as I never bought the game, only played in beta (I liked the game then but was busy with other MMOs). If the server mergers go over well I'll probably end up purchasing DCUO. Hopefully by then though I'll be able to find a copy for around $20.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 2:08PM Shirogetsune said

I enjoy DCUO, but I'm not a hardcore raider. I play the new content updates, occasionally mess with the teaming feature, etc.. but I don't spend a great deal of time in the game. As such, I'm looking at losing the names of two of my main's: Grin and Tyrant.

If so, I'm gone. Truthfully, as much steam as City of Heroes has been picking back up lately, I'm not all that sure it's such a bad move.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 5:29PM Faction 3 said

@Shirogetsune Gotta agree here, I mean, its complete bullshit that those who preordered, played, got dicked over by SIX WEEK INTERVALS between expoit fixes and bugs, then decide to take a break, are the ones getting the shaft with the name(s) they choose. Im uninstalling as we speak, I was planning to use the free 45 days that we got BECAUSE OF SONY'S SECURITY ISSUES once the Green Lantern Movie came out, but now, its just another MMO I blew money on.

It's like, they F'd up with the patches, the fixes, the exploits, the population, the security issues, and those that finally bailed to their incompetence are AGAIN being dicked over.....fantastic.

LAST time I EVER entrust Sony. Ever.

Game Over.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 1:15AM Furdinand said

@Faction 3 So the people that aren't playing/don't like DCUO are going to continue to not play it after the characters they don't play don't get to keep the names they never see because they never log in? Because if it weren't for name collision they were totally going going to play just as soon as Sony changed the UI, the combat system, the power sets, the costume pieces, the cost, the genre, the setting, the developer, and publisher. You know, the minor little issues keeping certain people out of the game. :)

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 3:58PM pcgneurotic said

You're surprised they're rebooting again?!? Just come over to Marvel full-time. Keep some GLC on the side for dirty fun, and relax and enjoy the finest comics universe in existence...

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 6:57PM Yellowdancer said

@pcgneurotic

I gave up Marvel because they have been on this downward spiral into oblivion. And Brian Bendis is my arch Nemesis. Marvel was great 10 years ago...now, not so much.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:47AM UnSub said

@pcgneurotic "relax and enjoy the finest comics universe in existence... "

Civil War. :-)

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 1:00AM (Unverified) said

@pcgneurotic Marvel just rebooted the already rebooted Ultimateverse a few years ago, so you really can't malign DC for FINALLY doing a full reboot.

Seriously though...why the F did they reboot the Ultimateverse? That's like Dark Knight being a reboot of Batman Begins. Oh wait...Marvel already did that with the Hulk movies too.

TLDR: Pot, meet Kettle.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 6:27PM Space Cobra said

I don't quite understand the MegaServer concept.

From what I am understanding, it seems that players normally stay on their servers, but when they sign up for Arenas, Duos, etc. they join in with other players from other servers.

If that's the case, everyone goes back to their server at the end of the match, right?

Why can't there be a temp name change or added appendix? Make it DC like, too. Say you have 3 guys named "Mr Hero". So, *just for the match* you get "Mr Hero", "Mr Hero - Earth 5", and "Mr Hero - Earth 43"?

Conversely, you can also give the first Mr Hero an Earth designation, just to be fair.

I mean, if this is how Megaservers work and we are not just being merged full-time together, but only for battle-instances, why not let everyone keep their names on their servers?

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 6:55PM Yellowdancer said

@Space Cobra

It won't be the same as before. It will go something like this...

There will be a main server and this server will have 2 shards. 1 for PvP and 1 for PvE. Those shards can hold instances for Gotham, Metropolis, JLA Satelite, and HOD. There can be an infinite number of instances of those zones in that shard to hold all the players.(They said each one of those instances can hold over 1K players). In those instances PvP players and PvE players are not allowed to mix. You can't go from Metroplis PvP1 to Metropolis PvE1, but you can jump from Metropolis PvE 1 to Metropolis PvE2 at will. When you join a queue for a group instance those PvP and PvE restrictions are dropped to increase to shorten queue times.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 7:19PM Xii said

Whatever you want to say about Cryptic, they got the naming part right. Every game, especially superhero titles, should do the same thing - you can have a million Hurricanes with no confusion.

Unique names are a bad idea and are only made worse as a game gets older.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 10:39PM Yellowdancer said

@Xii

Nope, Cryptic got that wrong. Never liked global handles.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:47AM UnSub said

@Yellowdancer Global handles suit this exact kind of problem. Cryptic's approach was much better for a superhero title.