Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:08PM cerebrix said

pleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuckpleasedontsuck

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:10PM HokieKC said

Game concept sounds awesome. I also can't wait to play an MMO designed for this generation on my Xbox 360.

The fact SyFy is involved has me a little worried though. However, the above article states they have some skilled writers working on the show.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:22PM 10thDoctor said

Skilled writers or not, it's on SyFy, and if it has aliens in it, that is really a little too close to anything resembling actual 'sci-fi' for this network. So with that in mind.....

Show lasts 2 seasons, getting cancelled halfway into its 2nd and that final half a season turns out to be the best of the entire run. 'Nuff said.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:35PM HokieKC said

@10thDoctor - The creator and writer of Farscape is behind this. So that makes me feel better.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:54PM Kitanishi said

@10thDoctor

Oh man, SYFY will be sure to polish up their awesome skills of firing people through twitter!

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 5:53PM 10thDoctor said

Rockne? If so I would feel *slightly* better, but not so much. Jumping back in bed with the same network that took your baby that was contracted for 5 seasons and then just abruptly pulled the plug at the end of 4? The lady may not be pretty I guess, but her money shines, unlike her moral character.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:21PM Halldorr said

This is one of the reasons I keep wanting to support Trions games...this concept sounds sooo very interesting!

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:36PM DevilSei said

I really wish they'd release some concrete info for this, the concept is interesting to be sure, but Syfy doesn't necessarily stand as the "bastion" of quality shows...

I'm also not too keen on paying a monthly fee on a console I already pay a monthly fee for.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 7:21AM CapnBludd said

@DevilSei
Syfy does quality shows, they just don't run them for long. Gods forbid a show has character development and depth, it gets cancelled for haunted cooking and crap.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:44PM (Unverified) said

Everything sounds interesting right up to ... SyFy.

So, all this time and money and ingenuity, yada, yada. What happens when 6 months in, they move your show to Tuesday night, and it doesn't do well for a few weeks (largely because 'no one' watches live TV anymore, so quit your whining about your ad revenue), then they move it to Monday, and then they cancel it without a proper send off, to make more room for wrestling, NASCAR, reality shows ("I Bet My Family Tree Forks Less Than Yours!"), et al ad naseum?

Would have been better off teaming up with FX or 'anyone' else. SyFy isn't Sci-Fi. It's "The Wrastlin' Channel!" (a CMT and CBN network).

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:54PM yeppers said

@(Unverified)

I agree. I would be more happy if Trion had partnered with AMC (Walking Dead, The Killing, and Breaking Bad) instead. I'm bitter with SyFy ever since they changed their name and have developed a reputation for canceling decently heady series.

Stargate Universe (albeit a blend of SG:1 and BSG) was probably one of the best casted and written series they've had on the network for a while. Caprica may not have been great but it was still set in the BSG universe and could have gotten better with time.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:32PM Unit 23 said

@yeppers

You thinking what I'm thinking? A Breaking Bad MMO would be awesome! I just hit level 12 with my meth cook.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 7:34AM Platypus Man said

@Tempes Magus

I hear you about the God thing, but "emphasized drama too much"? Really? That's why SG:U stood head and shoulders above previous iterations of Stargate... heavy on character, interpersonal conflict and (relative) realism, light on the things which tend to make sci-fi suck (like bad dialog, unrealistic characters and a thick layer of cheese).

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:51PM SOLIDAge said

You have to remember NBC owns a large portion of TRION and a smaller portion of SyFy. I'm sure they have a ton of money invested in this and they are hopefully going to help with the quality control of the series.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:02PM Lateris said

Here we are- lets see how the debut goes.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:04PM Borick said

The last thing that I desire in an MMO is the convergence of the television and gaming industry. It's not as if Hollywood process hasn't already made a polished turd out of the genre. Let's put the TV guys in charge just to offer some contrast on how bad things can really get.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:11PM Nandini said

I have to admit, that regardless of who's behind it, the concept of a live MMO interacting with a TV show in-production is very appealing to me.

Hopefully this will amount to something more interactive than getting a fan message run on a ticker at the bottom of the screen. :)

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:32PM BubleFett said

I'm looking forward to this game. If Trion did such a good job with
Rift, they will make this SyFy adventure quite appealing.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:24PM ImperialPanda said

Sounds interesting, but ultimately either Trion or the show's producers have to be calling the shots. Or else you'll essentially have two people trying to drive the same car. The most likely senario would be that the MMO is just constantly reacting to what happens in the TV series.

I don't think it's going to be as "intertwined" as you would assume. Not any more so than any other franchise-based MMOs. Except in this case both just happen to be running at the same time. Video games and TV shows are completely different mediums. You can't have both continuously affecting each other without serious negative consequences.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:36PM DevilSei said

@ImperialPanda

The pessimist in me sees it like this.

New episode premieres, leaves off with a cliff-hanger. Game gets update and an "Event" that serves to tie up said cliffhanger into a nice little package.
Then cue next episode, which leads to the same thing, again and again. Sure it SEEMS like the two are connected, but its the same thing as any other show, just with less acting in front of a camera.

Season Finales could even happen inside the game, maybe they won't even bother with them outside of it. They'll air the episode that leads up to the finale, then the game takes over from there, you go through the scripted events, beat it just how the writers already have it written moths in advance.