Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:39PM Delvie said

Alts and LOTRO - my husband thinks I'm insane. I am in the process of reworking all my toons and levelling up one of each crafting profession (the ones that have guilds). I also have a mule who is only level 2 (would be level 1 but they changed the newbie level curve at some point and she automagically levelled), she never leaves the housing neighborhood and holds all extra potions, rep items, legendary items, and shards. I had a couple of temporary mules who were holding recipes for my great profession grind but thankfully that inventory nightmare has ended as all the characters have now memorized their recipes.

Actually just remembered something. My mule also holds a stack of Great Claws - used to be the crit item for lots of crafting but got replaced with the 'new' crit items, problem was it can be used for many crafting professions so didn't know exactly what to trade them in for....hehe now I have plenty of crit items for each profession and forgot about the Great Claws.

So drawback to alts is inventory nightmares:)

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:48PM cowboyhugbees said

Not to mention, they're a good break from Kinship drama.

I love the idea of a non-adventuring, purely crafting alt. Gonna have to try that.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:58PM Daemodand said

You can't call yourself an altoholic until you've played City of Heroes. That game is pure alt crack.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:17PM (Unverified) said

@Daemodand

/signed +++++++++1

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:39PM Ghostspeaker said

@Daemodand

Oh god damn if that isn't the pure, undiluted truth. And if you're willing to pay you can have up to 36 alts per server.

I'M NOT GOING BACK! I'M NOT I'M NOT I'M NOT!!!!

You believe me, right?

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 6:56PM Shazzie said

@Daemodand
Oh gods yes. Got an idea for a new costume? Time for an alt! Got a new name idea bumbling about in your noggin? Time for an alt! Have an Electric Melee/Electric Armor Brute but have an itch to see what changes with Dark Melee, or Dual Blades, or Claws...heck, try 'em all, it's time for a pack o' alts!

For LotRO, I have three level 65s. One of those was level 32 for nearly 3 years, before I got the itch to play her for leveling purposes again. I'm now about to hit 50 with another character that sat on the shelf for even longer.... a character I made during the early activation period that pre-orderers got! I have two more alts that I play randomly, and two that are bank-dedicated for storing particular kinds of items.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:42PM Celtar said

Hi, my name is James and I am an Altaholic. :) I do the very same things you do pretty much and for the same reasons Justin. lol. Having done so for almost twenty years playing online mmorpgs.

I knew there were others out there, good to see that others do it for the very same reasons I tend to do so. Including the "good intentions" of trying to just play "one" character with what ever new game you start or making a promise to do so with a game you have been playing for years. The "Ok this is it! I'm going to focus on just one character for the next few months and knock out some personal goals I have."

I tend to last a few weeks before I end up ditching that vow. Ah well.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 5:00PM Chris Atlas said

I was always a monogamous player in other MMO's. Since starting LOTRO though i have become something of an altholic too. I think it's because the game has so many well executed alternatives to the straight leveling experince. I have 3 crafters, 1 skirmisher, and 2 Monster play toons. I love having the choice of what to do.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 5:09PM Vazzaroth said

I've always made alts. In fact, the phrase alt and main just don't make sense to me. I can't imagine a situation where all my characters aren't equally important regardless of level(except in a case like, in lotro right now, where I'm not really digging my class [lvl 10 Lore-master], but they usually end up deleted). I generally use "Alt" to refer to any of my characters I'm not on currently. In some games, I make 5 characters the first time I log in, then just decide what to play when I get there.
A large part of it is loving character creation. I play MMOs and all RPGs really to customize my player. I would regularly create hundreds of random NPC and PCs in D&D just for fun, to see different ways that low level options all fit together for fun or profit.

One thing I disagree with a bit in the article is Crafting coverage. I completely understand why players want to do this, but it bugs me. The system of giving you a class you can't collect for is to promote bartering, but just sending things to your other you doesn't really do any of that. I don't really think theres a good "solution" to this and it happens in all games, but it bugs me...

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:59PM TheElvenAssassin said

@Vazzaroth
"In some games, I make 5 characters the first time I log in, then just decide what to play when I get there.
A large part of it is loving character creation."

*raises hand* I'm guilty of this. I may make one character at first, but you can bet that as soon as they're in the world I'll be back for more. I mean, with so many good ideas for characters floating around in my head, why stop at just one?

(also, games that have like three or four character slots annoy the heck outta me. >.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 5:10PM eedwards said

Everyone in the Kin always gripes about how I am always winning lotteries. 12 Characters at various levels helps a lot. One thing is for sure, you'll never run out of morale/power pots. Having each crafting proffession to Supreme/Kindred helps a ton too.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 5:16PM wondersmith said

Deeds for Turbine Points! I have 1 main (a guardian) and 6 alts who I originally created to try out different classes but who now do deeds and earn me Turbine Points. Thanks to them, I have all the content in the game except the newly released dungeons and skirmishes, plus over 2100 TP saved toward Rise of Isengard. The only real money I've ever spent is $9.09 for a Moria retail box.

They're also handy for satisfying the membership requirement for our micro-kinship of 3 players.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 6:52PM Wurm said

I have 4 characters on one server and they cover all the crafting professions, so in the end I can craft everything. I level them all up to get the TP.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 7:03PM Tom in VA said

Me, too, Justin.

I mainly play numerous alts because I like to switch around among alts (the gameplay varies a lot from class to class in LotRO) and I also have my alts send crafted stuff back and forth through the mails.

Now, if only LotRO would allow me to take my alts along with me into the dungeons as NPCs (the way Guild Wars does). If that happened, I'd re-subscribe to LotRO in a heartbeat.

Another advantage is that if you play a large number of different classes it really helps you in groups to better understand what other classes can do and what they need (and don't need) from you.

Playing numerous alts is fun, but you failed to mention one of the downsides, like reaching for a skill that one of my other alts actually has access to. It gets a little disorienting at times.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 6:42AM Telwyn said

I must confess I'm an altaholic too. I much prefer to give multiple classes a go before settling on a main. I like the leveling game more than endgame in most MMOs so alts keep the game fresh for longer.

LoTRO in particular has a very 'meshed' crafting system which really encourages alt making if you want to be even vaguely self-sufficient!

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 8:56AM DarkWalker said

Ten character slots currently, 9 of them filled (just bought my last, didn't have time to fill it), although a lv32 one will soon be deleted (playing a character that has failed the Undying deed bugs me to such an extent, I can't bear myself to play any such character on the long term).

One character of each class, all professions covered, and since I have trouble leaving unfinished business behind, each and every one of them will eventually do all the game's quests and earn the Hot Shot deed. For example. I only move on to any higher level zone after doing all 3 starting zones, including all 3 preludes. The tenth will most likely be a spare bank alt.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:14PM trisnkh said

Does this game need premium or VIP to be good? Planning to play it but.. hmmm... thinking whether I need premium / VIP?

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 3:06PM alphaman00 said

@trisnkh You can play completley free, in fact some have made efforts to get everything in the store though freely earned points (which aren't that hard to get). There are only a couple things you can't get that way. However, even if you just go VIP for one month you'll drop to premium after and gain a large number of benefits.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 11:11PM trisnkh said

@alphaman00 Thx man.. most likely I'll get the mines of moria expansion which gives me 30 days premium and the 500 TP.. will check it out

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 2:18AM thanatos465 said

Too bad the game sucks and this post will be deleted.

Remember TimeWarner owns this site and LOTRO.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories