Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:42AM (Unverified) said

Giving people fine grain control over the way various bits of information is presented is a good thing. They have already said they don't want add-ons to become 'a necessity' (which is the thing that sucks about WoW-- the default client is unusable, IMO) and they aren't going to allow automation.

So they'll expose some data via the API and I'll be able to change how buffs and debuffs are displayed (on both myself and my party/raid). I'll be able to have an actual numeric cooldown on an ability on the action bar. I'll have a combat log in the game and not have to play in window mode anymore. I'll have miscellaneous improvements all over the place to make the time I spend in the game more enjoyable....

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 10:12AM (Unverified) said

Pretty sure I will get blasted for this, but I would like to see a rift version of healbot or vudu. I know that some folks will say that I am dumbing down the game, but if it makes a better healer, doesn't that mean more folks will survive in raids?
An interesting article on massively's sister site wowinsider once pointed out that many of the dungeon's mechanics may not have been possible if it hadn't been for people pushing developers to create more complicated bosses without addons like the boss mods.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 11:13AM Tristaniuss said

As long as they don't allow any kind of damage meter or gearscore equivalent, I'll be okay with it.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 11:14AM real65rcncom said

Well, this make perfect sense for Trion's masterplan.

Trion's whole strategy since Day 1 has been unapologetically to get WoW subs as a focus. They never even pretended they were going after some 'frustrated' playerbase tired of the typical DIKU gaming.

Everything in their advertising print and tv ads, everything in their corporate communications and everything (mostly) in their gameplay has been rifled directly at the heads (or wallets) of anyone playing WoW or who ever had played it.

The only thing Trion didn't have was a full on company approval for addons like Blizzard had to claim they were 'different'. Congratulations Trion.. you've now jumped the shark.

I seriously doubt no Rift player can say with a straight face anymore "Yeah, but Rift isn't like WoW. It's totally different!" Congrats on opening Pandora's Box and welcome to the mediocrity that was 1990.

It's about time mmos were moving in a new direction (so many skills these players need crutches like these to manage their game's repetitive skill systems) with loadable skills that don't just mirror each other unnecessarily, making addons 'required' for many of these people.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:13PM ed511df3 said

@real65rcncom

Hate to break it to you, pumpkin, but SWTOR is the same thing wrapped up in a Star Wars package. It's better to just accept that enjoy what's offered, rather than hold it up as THE title that will be different. 'Cause it ain't. Not by a long shot.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:23PM Dril said

@ed511df3

I wasn't aware WoW and RIFT featured fully-voiced quests with choices.

Or combat companions for every class.

Or psuedo-housing in the form of spaceships.

Or space-fighting tunnel blaster sections.

Or 4-player groups (hey, it changes group dynamics completely.)

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:26PM (Unverified) said

@real65rcncom

"Thank goodness the new mmos coming out SWTOR, The Secret World, etc.. don't seem to be focusing on things like this to make them more like WoW and moving people further and further away from things like outdated add on play and typical DIKU play."

You really haven't been paying attention to the hyperbole that been coming out of SWTOR have you?
They've managed to kill a lot of the excitement for the game for me with all the Wow derivative crap they've been spouting and the latest Steam/Battlenet crap has pretty well killed my anticipation.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:34PM Rialle said

@real65rcncom

Have you even SEEN the gameplay videos of TOR?

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 2:04PM real65rcncom said

@Rialle, ed511df3, and the other Rift fans

Not meant to insult you as you took it personal, but I know it must be a shock that after 3 months you haven't figured out that RIFT is really a WoW clone. You didn't know it in beta and kept saying it wasn't.

You said that when they nerfed the dungeons making them easier than WoWs.

You still say that now that addons/mods are coming even though Trion said they don't like them and didn't want them, but you pressured them to put them in like in WoW.

Seriously, it's time to wake up. Rift is really a bad copy of WoW no matter how many ways you can say it isn't.

You guys really need to stop artifact hunting and really look around in that game at all the 50s sitting around with nothing to do for a month already.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 11:36AM Wensbane said

There are self-entitled, elitist jerks in any MMO, and sadly, they will always find a way to offend and belittle you, with or without addons.
I find it best to just walk away and go form another group, as soon as I encounter one of these... creatures.

What I actually hate about addons is how quickly they become mandatory.
Once they're out there, and doing half the work for you - even if it's only by flashing a huge warning sign every time you step on something nasty - the developers become forced to design all encounters under the assumption that everyone will be using these tools.

I'm all for having choices. I really am! Unfortunately, many of these addons aren't really a personal choice at all...

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:43PM Rialle said

RIP RIFT Community: 2/2011 - 6/2011. They might as well just make the Dungeon Finder Cross-Shard and be done with it.

But for me the disappointing thing isn't really about meters. It is about everything else addons do to completely break the immersion factor. When I play RIFT, I feel like I am actually playing my character. This is a something I haven't felt in WoW for a very long time. Thanks to the myriad of addons that raid leaders required me to have, I began to develop an ever growing disconnect from the actual game as I spent more time paying attention to mods rather than the actual graphics and sounds.

WoW has pretty much become World of AddonCraft. I'm actually pretty sad that Trion has decided to do the same thing with RIFT.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:14PM donweel said

I welcome addons as a way to customize the look and feel of my game. The stuff that plagues that other game need not happen in Rift if they restrict the API.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 2:09PM real65rcncom said

"Pretty sure I will get blasted for this, but I would like to see a rift version of healbot or vudu."
-------------------------
Why would anyone blast you?

Healbot/Vudu are in WoW. RIFT wants WoW's customers.

Rift doesn't have Healbot/Vudu.

Rift allows Healbot/Vudu.. new WIFT fans are happy. Everyone wins!

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 7:01PM (Unverified) said

Example of why damage meters are required.

Dida T2 instance earlier today and one of the DPS did 100dps on a boss fight and we kept failing te encounter due to the DPS check.

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 12:34AM Haldurson said

First of all, some people already have been using dps parsers in Rift and I've yet to see any negative impact from them. That said, I don't have a lot of experience with WoW so I can't say who's right.

The way I look at it, if you are in a casual guild (like I am), then damage meters, and so on are not going to make a deep impact on your playstyle or in-game experience. It may be an issue for the 'leet pack/e-peen flaunters', but those people tend to be a small minority in Rift, as far as I've seen.

I think there's too much hyperbole being used on both sides of the argument. Just relax and deal with whatever bad happens ONLY IF it actually happens. Preemptive whining is not helpful.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 1:47PM (Unverified) said

So the easy mode just got easier? /shrug The thing that is really sad is that people want/need these things to feel competitve in the first place.

Posted: Jun 17th 2011 7:52AM Protheus said

For me it will be a bliss to have addons as for now the bags/bank UI is taking way to much space - as in wow you have an adon that just puts all bags in 1 simple window.

Grid for Rift would be brilliant.

As for gearscore and dps meters... I really hate that as said in previous post - way to many people have a fetish to be at the top of the meter and not paying attention to the game itself.

The addons I use are to make the UI much more "cleaner" then what we have now.