Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 7:18PM Dril said

@Space Cobra

How people play the race card in this stuff I have no idea.

I could flip and say they should stop showing whites as arrogant, dominating, reckless, slimy and manipulative. But I don't, because I really don't give a crap. It's a bloody game, made of factions that ***don't*** represent a whole ethnicity.

Can we get over this crap now, please? If you find stereotypes scary I encourage you to actually go visit China/Japan (protip: speak French to any street-sellers in China. They walk away instantly if you pretend not to speak English.) It's enlightening.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:45AM Space Cobra said

@Dril

And I expected such a response, but really. Historically, Chinese and Japans and many Asians have been the most ordered folks around. Even Hong Kong corruptiion has rules. But yeah, I could point at some young people from Vietnamese backgrounds being all chaotic.

That's probably the benefit of made-up races, since there are no real-world Orcs or Unicorns to complain how they are protrayed in a game. The "chaos thing" is a bit of a tight-fit that, frankly, could be represented better as "mysterious agenda" (even though, yes, that'd be a stereotype). Just calling them "insane" seems a bit like brushing them off.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:55AM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

"Yeah, there have been bad and good examples in any language (speak English to a Frenchmen in France, even when they know English, and see how far that gets you.) + Dril's example."

Really, this is very simple to interpret. It is about showing respect in someone's own home/nation. You may say it's enlightening, but how would you feel if you had a group of Egyptian people purely speaking to you in Egyptian in your neighborhood in England (I am only assuming you are in England)? And they kept speaking in Egyptian, no matter what, even at the government offices?

Sure, there are exceptions, but let me tell you a secret: If you show some basic effort in trying to speak Chinese to those street sellers, you will open doors. You don't even have to be fluent. Just show a curiousity/interest in their culture and speak 1-3 words and apologize. That goes a long way to getting discounts and preferred treatment rather than acting like the "ugly American tourist" and speaking English and demanding why can't things be like they are in America.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 3:18AM Space Cobra said

@Irem

Actually, it'd probably be hard to avoid that particular stereotype (Mysterious Asians), but I am mostly dwelling on how in this interview, Bylos called them "insane" and on their website, they tend to underline the chaotic nature of Dragons. I mean, if you know about Asian history of various countries, the last thing you could call such a society are, "insane chaotic types".

I'd prefer "hidden agenda" and pointing out that this society uses just as much chaos as it does order to achieve their own ends. It seems like many players are choosing the Dragon faction (based on some TSW forum posts I spied) because it's the "Neutral" faction in regards that it is not too "stick-up-your-pants" ordered or too "corporate".

I mean, ideally, such a society would be similar to Templars, but I understand the need for a different society, but it doesn't have to be all "we use chaos 24/7 and it rawks! Awrroo!" and the like.

Again, if we have to buy into stereotypes, use Ninjas as a guide that are hired by hidden masters, but don't label them "insane" or "crazy".

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 9:14AM JuliusSeizure said

@Space Cobra

So, uh, you're complaining that they're -not- pandering to a stereotype? That instead of being orderly and repressive like "typical Asians", they're anarchic and free spirited?

And no, chaotic really doesn't scream "mysterious" to me. Mysterious says, "following an inscrutable set of rules that causes them to react in strange yet consistent ways." Which is pretty much what you're proposing. There's no mystery in chaos, because there's nothing to figure out. It just is what it is.

Posted: Jun 6th 2011 4:27PM Space Cobra said

@JuliusSeizure

Just saying it such organizations are not chaotic and this should not be labelled as one, either.

It's actually two-fold:

I didn't choose "Dragon" in the survey to be on the chaotic side as much as to have my own rules. I have rules and honor. I believe this is the same with other players (but not all, I ain't gonna play the "all the folks I know" card).

Chaos is really not an Asian mindset or the most looked up to. Even if it is a stereotype, "inscrutable" probably would have been a better descriptor/selling point than "chaotic insane fellas".

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:09PM Lateris said

I am more interested in this game the more I read about it. I

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:25PM Lolzor69 said

"Hence, I say that there is no endgame and there are no hard content blockers."

Again...another let down. I can't tell you how much I really, really, really wanted to play this game. The more and more that comes out the more and more it sounds like being able to plow through a month long story line and then having nothing to do, but stand around in a club.

I am not a fan of the marketing firm known as "Trion Studios." I think their promises are hollow and misleading. But I'm not sure that taking the exact opposite stance, as Fun Com is doing, is any better. The lask of content seems very, very present.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 6:19PM Sente said

@Lolzor69

To me it seems they pretty much describe something that is similar in philosophy to Guild Wars - a quite flat model, where you after a few hours play (if playing Factions or Nightfall) have done the attribute progression and you can decide to go whereever you want pretty much.

I think that it is very promising if they go in that direction.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 6:41PM Sephirah said

@Lolzor69

"the more and more it sounds like being able to plow through a month long story line and then having nothing to do, but stand around in a club."

Compared to MMORPGs in which you level in a month and then do the same raid every week for 6 months?

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 5:07PM (Unverified) said

@Lolzor69 I think what they are shooting for is a more detailed "personal" experience. You simply can't do that with grind missions all over the place, wasting ones time until reaching max. This game is more for the puzzling sorts.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 5:19PM Zuljundwumn said

"It depends on how you define endgame"

...
Hahahaha ! No, REALLY ? he dare to say something like that ? It's like saying "hey, look other there !" and run the other way.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan a TSW, and I'll be here on launch day. But I hate it when devs tries to elude questions by talking like they revolutionized the gaming world.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 4:11AM WolvenSpectre said

@Zuljundwumn

Yeah... I am sick of these people who think the endgame is the end all and be all for everyone. I don't want to play a game I don't like because it gets good in the "end".

Hell, in my opinion, unless you are planning to close a game down there should be no "Endgame". If someone decides they have to blow through the game before more content is made that was their choice. What some games do for "Endgame" should just be something you do anyway....

Then again there is a reason I don't play WoW or WoWoids.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 4:05AM WolvenSpectre said

The Dragon are insane... well then the game is in trouble because the majority of the players who went through the test to pick a society were given The Dragon.

Also if this is a theme park I hope to heck it is Disney World because if all the diffrent missions and mysteries you go to track down and fights and adventures all happen very close to the same time for everyone they may as well be cattle in a loading chute, because it is no fun at all to be forced to do things one way that is the same way as most everyone else....

Or maybe I am just too spoiled by good sandboxes.