Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 2:40PM Nandini said

While you may have been playing a beta, keep in mind that the game launches in 11 days for pre-order customers (and in 18 days for everyone else).

The features and limitations you experienced in testing on a pre-made level 23 character are likely to be present in the game Heatwave is expecting customers to pay $50 or $80 for (plus a $10 a month subscription).

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 2:42PM (Unverified) said

Looks like a flop then

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:00PM PaperSpeaks said

@(Unverified) and your basis for such judgement?

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 2:47PM Wispur said

I saw the Cyclops in the preview picture and thought "Oh awesome! A game where I might get to play as a Cyclops some other awesome fantasy race?!" But than I realized that it's just another game where I play a human killing monsters. Pass.

I long for a modern game that lets you play something other than a human, horned human, elf, or cat girl. A Cyclops, or a lizardman, or maybe even non humanoids like Drakes and Dire Wolves. Something different... sigh.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:05PM Daemodand said

@Wispur Try Istaria where you can play as a dragon. Only downside is the game sucks.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:55PM Ghostspeaker said

@Wispur

EQ2 has all kinds of crazy races. There's tiger people, rat people, lizard people, orcs, trolls (actually scary looking ones not the nice ones from WoW), and others. I'm not real fond of their F2P model but the core game is totally solid and pretty fun.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 2:21AM MacDexter said

@Wispur
Want to play a cyclops? Hm, in Mythos you can play Gremlins, Satyrs and Cyclops. Not sure though whether you can try this out in NA. I only know the european web site.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:08PM Space Cobra said

Yeah, I have to agree. Part of me wants to love it. The different Roman setting. The fact you get sidekicks that you can improve, etc.

There is a good start for a good MMO.

But when you add all the bad things in (cons)...well, it just adds up. And then, there is the (future) sub-fee. All these hypocritical jive-turkeys who complain complain that sub-games are automatically good and then complain about games like STO and soon this game, probably will continue thinking the way they do, but atm, this game seems more better-suited for f2p unless they can change things around in...11 days?!?!

Posted: Jun 5th 2011 1:53PM SunSword said

@Space Cobra The game wasn't designed to support F2P, and there were a lot of challenges getting the core game to a fun and stable state. So we decided to focus on making the game as fun as possible under the original team's vision. However, we fully intend to provide other ways to play in the future. Subscribers will always see the benefit of their commitment to the game, compared to those who choose to play for free. In our mind, a F2P system requires a meaningful PvP (or RvR) game system to be truly compelling, and that just wasn't in the cards at launch.

-Anthony
Exec Producer, Gods & Heroes

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:16PM Rengar said

Honestly, I could stand this game in beta for more then an hour or so. The controls felt clucky, and the graphics at least in the starting area were atrocious. I couldn't find a character look that didn't feel butt ugly.

I never got to see the minion or estate system in the game. I think if the game wants to succeed, those system will need to make up for the games many other flaws.

Glad you like it it though Beau. Hopefully they get a good enough subscriber base to see the better features in the game incorporated into games that I play. :)

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:31PM Titan1 said

Its like every other ho-hum WoW / GW clone out there but with a "Rome" skin.

I don't think a single person on the staff ever read a history book or actually knows anything about ancient Rome. If they had, the content would have amounted to more than "go kill 5 or 6 of this or that, come back for a reward"
I swear this games are made on the intellectual level of a poodle at times.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:07PM Nandini said

@Titan1
While I feel this title would be a bad investment for anyone except the most die-hard fans, I'd like to clear up a misconception:

This game is not intended to be a historically accurate recreation of ancient Rome or its empire. It's a sort of "what-if" universe, which places it squarely in a fantasy setting that happens to have a few recognizable names and places.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:07PM Beau Hindman said

@Titan1 I'm not sure how an estate system and a minion army is anything like World of Warcraft. if you are talking about the UI or the quests, then we need to throw in another 100 or so other games under that umbrella.

There will always be similarities between a lot of these games, just as there are similarities in westerns, sci-fi movies, etc. But the last game I thought of when playing this was Guild Wars or WoW.

Beau

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:42PM bobfish said

@Titan1

Its not really fair to call it a WoW clone, when it was originally scheduled to come out in 2005, a mere year after WoW's release. So that means it was in development long before anyone knew just how successful WoW was going to be.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:39AM Titan1 said

@bobfish ok, fair enough. Play it for a bit and come back and describe it.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 12:52AM Titan1 said

@Beau Hindman
Beau, the game plays identical to WoW, run down the path and do your rat killing. The minion system play exactly like GW (I believe I mentioned BOTH games in my original post) Yay, the estate system - an instanced housing area.
So aside from the roman skin, it has no elements that would draw you into a Roman themed world. Instead it tries to draw you into a roman themed WoW/GW
You can already throw this game onto the pile of failed mmos. I'm not going to argue on this subject anymore. If you guys want to pretend it's something special or different, have at it. See you at the F2P announcement.

Posted: Jun 4th 2011 1:07AM Beau Hindman said

@Titan1

A) Again, if you want to use rat-killing as proof of a WoW-clone, then games that came before WoW would be WoW clones. Bear in mind that you just described half of the games (if not many most) out there now. WoW did not invent the quest, nor the rat. And Guild Wars did not invent or perfect the minion system. Games have existed before and now that allow players to have minions or NPC buddies in game.

B) I'm not really sure my article would be summing up this game as "special." In fact, I name many of its flaws, and didn't place it in almost any category.

C) I am not sure how going free-to-play would mean failure. Sure, some Western games have gone free-to-play, but not only does that not prove that they were failing but it does nothing to prove that free-to-play is a sign of failure. If anything, free-to-play means more money. Ask the rest of thew world and now most of America. Why else do you think everyone is going that route? Not because they are failing, but because they can do much better with that payment (or non-payment) option.

Beau

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:09PM Kaoy said

@Checksix Probably when people except that he hops around games like a coked-up ferret. I think he has played almost every game any of us could name on the F2P and Freemium markets at this point, as well as a good number of P2P. Most people alt addictions can be contained by one game, but Beau thought about that and went 'Psh'.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:13PM Kaoy said

@Kaoy Hmm, this was meant to be a reply, but it seems the post it was replying to got deleted.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 4:32PM Beau Hindman said

@Kaoy Well, and you're forgetting that I get paid to do it. I mean, some people pour concrete or train dogs for a living. I hop around games and write about it for a living. :)

"Coked up ferret"....I like that!

Beau