Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 9:33PM Sorithal said

Except it requires buying a booster. Unless you only have to buy the booster once and keep the jetpack usage forever, that basically just ties players down to a form of monthly subscription to use it.

Then again I guess using it isn't that huge of a deal. Still, I guess it makes the booster more appealing to pay for.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 9:43PM (Unverified) said

I always wondered why they wouldn't allow jet packs inside dome city.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:14AM ndessell said

@(Unverified) the bazillion wholes in the roofs

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 11:13PM Borick said

I love this game -- specifically the PVE instances and raids. If I could have Global Agenda with more open world content I'd probably play it full time.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 11:51PM Joshua Przygocki said

What do you get if you bought the game when it released and haven't played in months.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:41PM Patrick Mackey said

@Joshua Przygocki You get Elite Agent status, with all that it entails. Basically, free players don't get as much as old players used to, and Elite agents are basically the same as people who previously purchased the box.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:05AM Protoavis said

It's kind of funny that celebrating F2P success is reward with "BUY THIS NOW!"

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 7:13AM Protoavis said

@Tempes Magus

You're taking it way too seriously and reading things that aren't there.

cash shop items are totally understandable in a free to play setting, total non issue, what's funny is the "reward" to celebrate the success of f2p is a buy only item, seems highly inappropriate in how it contradicts. At pretty much any other time a buy only item would not have that kind of reaction but celebrating f2p with buy only is an almost laughable situation. (Also not likely something to generate positive press but that's a different issue)

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 2:51PM (Unverified) said

@Protoavis

He totally can. He spent four hours last night trying to prove it on WoWinsider.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 7:05AM Pewpdaddy said

@Joshua Przygocki

Indeed I truly hope that if I purchased the game prior to F2P I get the perk. I'll have to login and check, if not Hi-Rez has made quite a mistake.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:18AM Verdande said

I can't say I care. I purchased the game a couple of days after the Free Agent update (tried before I buyed and loved it) and that's about as much money as I plan on spending on it. My budget for entertainment can't really deal with two monthly subscriptions to a game if I want to be able to do anything fun at all that month.

It's disingenuous for them to post about "OMG JETPACKS IN CITY" and then sneak it away under "...if you buy a boost." Not cool, devs.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:34AM (Unverified) said

@Verdande

Jetpacks in the city don't really get you anything though, so it's just like a special mount for games that don't allow you to fight on your mount. You can still use your jetpack in combat freely.

It's a non-essential perk that they want money for, which in my opinion is how F2P should be.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 9:51AM ApathyCurve said

I find it amusing that a company which disabled Eyefinity for its (crappy) game, on the principle that it would provide an "unfair advantage to players able to afford the more expensive hardware," has now implemented a cash store which sells advantages to anyone who will cough up the cash.

It's amazing how quickly their "principles" went out the window when the creditors started calling.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:16AM Jakairo said

@ApathyCurve

What advantages are you refering to? All items sold in the cash shop are either for appearance or can be attained through vendors for credits which even free agents can attain.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:02AM Addfwyn said

@ApathyCurve I'm confused, what advantages? There is no combat in Dome City, so it's a moderate facilitator of travel around what amounts to the game's lobby.

Am I missing something that gives people who pay $$$ an advantage over players in actual combat?

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:14AM ApathyCurve said

@Addfwyn

"the purchase of booster packs (which grant double XP, credits, tokens, additional loot drops, and a daily allowance of 2000 tokens"

Glad I could help you learn to read.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 1:16PM Nef said

@ApathyCurve The booster doesn't provide any combat advantages, it simply helps you get more junk quicker.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 10:15AM Amusednow said

Sadly I ponied up after giving it a test run about 2 weeks ago but won't dump anything into anymore. Played each class to the lower 20's in my spare time and while the concept is nice the game over all just blows really. Well more to the point the UT engine blows, unreal always has just don't argue it, and the player base well lets just say not the sharpest bunch. Bit like being king of the shortbus fps wise.... I mean really you're just out of the tutorials dinged level 5 or 6 so hey I know lets queue up for pve sec missions. Yeah you can pull your weight without even getting the basic gear that the only quest chain offers. Great love carrying you folks... PvP just makes me speechless when people can't circlestrafe, and the server matching is just horrible.
Ditch the dome, make a server browser with a plugin store option and let people matchmake to just join servers faster.
just sad how much better this game would be on a idtech, source or frost(BF) engine..sad to think they tried to get people to pay out of the gate as a quasi-mmo game even more though..

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 11:12AM ndessell said

@Amusednow it gets better after you break 30 and you get fewer secret 50's rolling your merc matches.

< the jerk with the dweller[ddddd] 1 shotting people.

Posted: Jun 3rd 2011 3:49PM Patrick Mackey said

@Amusednow For the most part, a level 5 or 6 character does just fine in under-30 merc, assuming the player is decent. You complain about carrying the losers, but the fact is that the other team has just as many. In PvE, only recons even sort of have problems at level 5, since they don't have a sniper rifle. Medics have a BFB, Assaults have a minigun and ranged shield, and robos have forcewall and a PT. They don't have med station, but if the medic is at keyboard you shouldn't need it (my main is medic, so I might be a little biased there though). The main reason anyone would be carrying anyone else is skill, more than gear.

Even in 30+ merc, I find most of my team is retarded, but we often win because the other team is worse. I just play the best I can, and try to work with what I'm given. Sometimes that's not a whole lot, but it's no different than playing TF2 or L4D2 or some other Source game.

Personally, I prefer the Unreal engine; it's an apples and oranges thing I guess.
| 1 | 2 |