Posted: Jun 1st 2011 7:37PM (Unverified) said

Such an odd choice to voice a character and show them on-screen not moving their mouth.

Some of the backgrounds in the shots of the giants reminded me of the Howling Fjord from WoW.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 7:55PM Raikulxox said

That voice....coming from a ratonga. lol.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 7:57PM (Unverified) said

They really need to bring on an intern who has some experience with trailers. As (Unverified) above me mentions, choosing a narrator without mouth movements is strange, particularly when most of the game's normal race models allow for mouth movement.

Other than that...random footage thrown against stock fantasy music ala every other EQ2 trailer since Kingdom of Sky. They certainly make it difficult to get excited about the game.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 10:16PM (Unverified) said

'Making it difficult to get excited about' seems like one of SOE's primary talents. And this is from a recently returned vet who played enthusiastically from '06-'08 =\

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 1:52AM aurickle said

I've been back in-game after a 3 year hiatus, arriving about a month before the data theft. The Shader 3 update to the graphics engine has worked wonders for making the game look good again. Not as good as some of the competition, sure, but certainly good enough to be enjoyable.

Of course, what really matters is the gameplay. I have to say that I've been left wondering why I ever left to begin with. IMHO, no other MMO on the market offers both such a vast amount of content and diversity of things to do. On top of that (and unlike other games such as -- ahem! -- City of Zeroes) they actually do consistently go back and rework old content. This has made the experience of playing my new character truly fresh since I'm constantly encountering things that are different from what I remember. Not everything changes, but enough to keep a sense of freshness.

Yeah, their trailers are pretty lame. But the game itself is excellent.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 5:43AM pcgneurotic said

You've absolutely nailed EQ2 in one there aurickle.

1) EQ2 has a more diverse selection of content than any other mmog out there - Crafting, Housing, Questing, Exploring, Collection Systems - you could spend hours per game session just 'playing' one of those areas.

2) There's physically more to see and explore and experience than ny other mmog out there. Older zones are being revamped too, to bring everything up to standard for today's demanding (whining) gamer.

3) SOE are the masters of screwing their own pooches when it comes to marketing and PR.

Why I personally rate EQ2 as my favourite mmorpg of all time is that it walks the fine line between theme park and sandbox. You want questing and directed, zone progression content? Check. You want to say 'Fuck it' and go off and get all meta? Check.

Haters are gonna hate, but in the end, they're the ones missing out.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 5:57AM Alpoe said

Does anyone have a flow chart charting all these Everquest II expansions? I can't keep track.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 3:13PM Herciel said

@Alpoe

I take it you've never seen EverQuest's selection of expansions.

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 7:55AM Zuljundwumn said

I agree, EQ2 is a wonderful game, maybe the best mmo there is.
But there is so much content, some updated, others not, that it's a total mess for newcomers.

I pulled ome friends into it a while back, but none stayed, because you must find and rely on a good database to understand what to do with everything that is thrown at you when you first log in.