Posted: Jun 1st 2011 1:46PM Ashane said

• Half a heart
To be honest, this post really just reads as a advert for Trion.

Anyone who has been reading the forums could clearly tell that certain servers were ghost towns. (Less then 150 people on, per side? Uh..)

I'm sure if you told your players "Hey guys, it's ok that less then 300 people total are on this server, it's still seeing 1,000 unique hits per month, so its fine!".

No wonder that drivel hasnt been spouted to the players of Rift, because its not worth the oxygen to spit it out.

Again, this isnt new. All MMO's have offered transfers off of high pop, to low pop.. and in certain situations off of low pop and onto high pop servers. This isnt something revolutionary. This is industry standard.

The day Trion allows you to transfer from *any* server to *any other server* free, then you can compare them to Wizards 101, Free Realms, and all the other F2P cash shop games.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:00PM SnarlingWolf said

• Half a heart
@Ashane

I agree with you and fully disagree with the article.

I know literally hundreds of people, and entire guilds that have quit this game and I do not personally know one person who stayed with it after 2 months.

The transfers are there because some servers are dying faster than others and in order to keep those players they need to let them jump over to the higher pop servers.

This game will continue to decline. You can call that a marketting plan if you want but show me a company who's business goals is to get smaller and make fewer profits with each passing month.

The Rift fans don't want to admit it but the game is dying quickly. It had no substance to keep people past a month or two and the "monthly content and events" they do are essentially nothing (Asheron's Call does more in the monthly content department with a much smaller team and fewer resources and has done it for 11 years).

There is nothing wrong with having extra servers on launch to handle the initial surge. There is also nothing with closing down some servers after that surge is gone. To call it a genius marketting plan and that their goal is to shrink is ridiculous. In this case they are shrinking very very fast.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:41PM MtthwRddl said

@Ashane If you're going to go out of your way to make the statement that RIFT is dying quickly and that servers are drying up, I ask you one simple question: what recently released MMORPG isn't doing the same things?

I can't think of the last time I didn't hear an MMO's community claiming the game was dying rather prematurely.

I have been playing RIFT casually since it's release. On the servers I've played on, I haven't noticed any decrease in population whatsoever. And part of me feels that every game goes through a phase where a certain percentage of the current playerbase claims the game is dying and leaves...and then the game keeps going. It's not like MMOs are dropping left and right. I would guess a good 90% of the MMOs that came out within the last year are still in production, even if their playerbases claim the game is already dead.

I plan on continuing to play RIFT casually. I still like it a lot. I think Trion is doing some great things for the game and actually seems like a great company compared to some of the other developing companies.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:42PM MtthwRddl said

@MtthwRddl My comment was directed @SnarlingWolf not the original poster.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 3:14PM SnarlingWolf said

• Half a heart
@MtthwRddl

And what does that tell you about the MMOs companies are releasing? They aren't good enough to hold people's attentions. When a game is nothing but one kill/gather/deliver task after another and it rushes you to max level in a week, people will get bored very quickly.

Some MMOs go down slowly and level off. Rift is not going to be one of those, it is going to be more like Warhammer which dropped like a rock.

People who like a game always want to ignore how the game is doing. They will always argue (just like the Warhammer fans did) that the numbers are strong and the game isn't losing players.

I don't know why this phenomenon occurs since admitting to yourself how the game is actually doing won't ruin your enjoyment of the game if you like it.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 5:08PM (Unverified) said

@SnarlingWolf

You're fooling yourself if you don't expect a peak at their launch of SWTOR, GW2, ArcheAge and others, followed by a drop off in that first few months when purchasers decide not to sub.
MMO gamers today are more aware of MMO's being launched and wanting to be present at those launches than with those early MMO's where people only learnt of MMO's when those were already on the market for a while.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 5:38PM MtthwRddl said

@SnarlingWolf I really doubt RIFT is going to end up like Warhammer. You only mention Warhammer because it ended up so poorly. What about games like Aion that experience the mass exodus after the free month yet continue to do adequitely?

In my opinion, I see RIFT ending up at the same level as Aion.

So what if I like the game? It doesn't mean my views are automatically delusional. I can understand the negative comments coming from players but the game is still fun to ME, and I would assume many others.

I would also think that those who have condemned a game and given up on it would be more likely to over-exaggerate the number of people like themselves so to justify their comments. Obviously they aren't alone in their thinking and "hundreds of players" are leaving the game as we speak. /sarcasm

Also, it's quite funny how those who have already left the game stick around in conversations concerning those games. If the game is poor and the people don't want anything to do with it, why do they stick around and continue to belittle the game? Do they not have anything better to do with their time than repeat the same doomsday preach about a game they left two months prior?

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 10:48PM SnarlingWolf said

• Half a heart
@MtthwRddl

You do realize this is a site that discusses just about every game out there. No one is hanging around Massively because they quit the awful game of Rift and are waiting to comment on it.

What I find amusing, since you pointed out your own very flawed view of the world, is the people who get mad when others don't like their games or point out truths about how bad the game is. They even rate down everyone's comments who don't like their game because someone not liking what they like offends them so much.

The real reason I point out Warhammer is that 1) Rift is headed down the same path and 2) the fans of Warhammer defended it tooth and nail for the first 6 months and constantly kept saying the game wasn't dying.

I'm sure you'll come back in another 4 months when it is evident how bad Rift is doing and point out how you attacked everyone who didn't agree with you and admit you were wrong though. The same way gamers do everytime that you point out their MMO isn't liked by most......

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 10:51PM SnarlingWolf said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Didn't read where I said that all games will have an initial surge on launch month huh?

Yes most modern games will work this way for several reasons. 1) MMOs are lacking in entertainment and quality so people are constantly jumping to each new one with blind hope that the next leap will be the leap home 2) MMO companies are realizing how lacking in quality their games are so they hype the crap out of it prelaunch so that they can try to drive enough box sales to make back as much of the investment as they can and finally 3) There will always be a certain group of gamers that will never play an MMO past the first month.

What I also said was that Rift was declining a lot faster then just having an initial spike would show. I also pointed out how utterly ridiculous it is to call having players leave left and right part of the "marketing plan".

Posted: Jun 2nd 2011 3:47PM Daeths said

@MtthwRddl You know what i hear? That wow is slowly dieing and its population is drying up! It must be true, people in the community age grumbling about it!

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 1:59PM (Unverified) said

its nothing like a big movie premiere. Nothing.

If an MMO was and is good, word of mouth should create buzz and bring in new players by the truckload.

If the MMO is good, players wont leave behind friends and the investment of 100 of hours of work so easily.

Fact is most MMO are not good.

I played RIFT, I wanted to stay as did most of my guild, fact is, the product simply isnt that good. The end game is just more of the same, if we wanted more of the same we would of never walked away from our last MMO.

Fact is, at 3 months out, if RIFT was really a successful game, it would be retaining players and attracting new ones, it doesnt seem to be doing this, and thus server transfers is a symptom of lose of players.

New players should be filling up the low servers , they arent, so it tells me the pop is going one way, down.

SO please stop comparing MMOs to movie premiers, you sound silly. When was the last time you invested 100 of dollars and 100s of hours in a movie premiere?

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:47PM MtthwRddl said

@(Unverified) I would think it would be quite hard to fill the servers after the initial free month mass-hiatus from the game. Let's be realistic; a good percentage of every new game's population leaves after the free month. I can't think of any way to argue that.

If Trion had to create a lot of new servers just to handle this free month mass population, and then a percentage of them leaves after the free month, wouldn't it make sense for Trion to need to close some of the servers that aren't needed anymore?

If we throw out a number, let's say 40%, of the initial playerbase that leaves after the first month, which I think is a fair guess, I would think most games would need to consolidate servers after the mass migration. Don't you think?

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 3:58PM Oskari said

@(Unverified)

The Fellowship of the Ring premiere, of course.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 8:12PM (Unverified) said

@MtthwRddl there is no such thing as a free month. It cost you 60 bucks to purchase the game.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:01PM jealouspirate said

I think this is just Trion's way of trying to deal with the fact that they got trigger-happy at launch and added far too many servers.

It's spun as a great feature because that's just what companies do. WoW's cross-server dungeon tool was hailed as a revolutionary new feature when really it was just carefully disguised server merges. Or rather, a kind of half-merge to prevent complete merges.

According to their FAQ they won't allow servers to become too populated, so there's really no guarantee that all these low-pop players will be able to hop onto one of the high-pop servers.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:05PM Obext said

I have no reason to switch shards but its nice to know If I changed my mind or want to at least check it out its free to do so.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:08PM winterborn said

• Half a heart
How much do you guys get for a story like this ?

Rift has had MASSIVE amounts of players leave since headstart. Trion can try to spin it anyway they want but that is a fact.

The big mistake was and still is the patheticly small server limits.

BTW real player population counts for Med servers are as low as 70-150 players. Trion can delete as many posts as they want about it but there it is.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 2:48PM MtthwRddl said

@winterborn "That is a FACT."

Show me the numbers...

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 3:35PM enamelizer said

@MtthwRddl

How do you get down voted for asking someone to cite sources to back up their wild claims they try to pass off as "fact"? The only fact that exists in this inane debate is that until numbers are released by Trion, any conjecture about population numbers are just that.

Rift articles crack me up, it brings all the drama majors out in full force to FUD it up a bit before they go back to dress rehearsal.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 7:51PM winterborn said

@MtthwRddl
Go visit the OF and you will see all the posts from players doing in game counts. There have been soo many that the mods are very busy sweeping them under the carpet.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story