Posted: May 31st 2011 12:38PM (Unverified) said

It's so nice to read your hands-on experience of the game so far. I've only seen bits and pieces thus far and this fleshes things out that much more. Thanks for the article Jef.

Personally, I still believe you can mold sandbox and themepark elements together, but the MMO industry isn't there yet. At least ArcheAge seems to be taking a step forward, maybe opening doors and who knows, it could do it really really well. I can only hope. :)

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:39PM (Unverified) said

Awesome write up! I can't help but feel that I am setting myself up for another devastating let down but the fact that ship combat and crafting is even enabled at this point has me won over. Don't break my heart too, Jake.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:47PM jealouspirate said

I'm still skeptical, but we'll see!

Also, I've personally never been enthusiastic about crafting in MMOs. It just doesn't interest me at all. Hopefully I could just go about doing some gathering (hopefully fishing!), sell the materials and then just buy whatever need from the AH without needing to get too involved.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:58PM (Unverified) said

Good article. Devs are leaning towards having boss mobs drop mats for the best crafted weapons, so if that's true then the "economy" will be pretty well-off imho.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:02PM Equillian said

I'm so... *sniff* so happy. I've been looking for a new world to go to for years. All I've found are games. Immersion FTW!

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:03PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
meh.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:07PM Space Cobra said

In regard to certain animation (foot out in space and Final thoughts).

During the video, I noticed the old Asian-style mouse-click-on-the-horizon-and-you-travel-to-the-spot mechanic alongside the WASD movement.

Actually, from your report and the vids, I am thinking the studio has its own design philosophy that might not merge/jell with many people. There seems to be some Korean/Asian in-game tropes mixed in with the "unlimited budget" and aspirations of this studio. Much like food, certain game systems have certain "flavors" or ways they implement things that is different from the "American" way; it's just cultural difference. Some (vocal) players can't get used to it.

I do look forward to more reports on this game.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:33PM jealouspirate said

@Space Cobra

Yeah, I admit that I have this worry too. Nothing against Asian games or the people who love them, but in general the design of Asian RPGs (both massive and not) doesn't quite jive with me. Movement is a big thing, and so far I'm not a huge fan or their character models.

Posted: May 31st 2011 2:37PM paterah said

@Space Cobra What is this weird obsession with click to move? WoW uses it and last time I check the WASD controls work quite well!

Posted: May 31st 2011 4:05PM Space Cobra said

@paterah

It's a design choice many Asian MMOs do that many American MMOs do not: It's just ONE way to tell them apart.

And I don't know if there is an option in WoW for it now, but when I played it, there was not: It was only WASD keys. I can assume Blizzard ADDED that option to appeal to the masses of ASIAN players to make THEM feel "right at home" within WoW, if indeed it were true.

By the way, this doesn't apply for strategy/tactical games, which uses the mouse-click-on-screen to move your unit instead of WASD. This mainly applies to an MMO that is more RPG and only has your character on-screen, so a title like Dofus or even Starcraft doesn't count.

Posted: May 31st 2011 5:13PM paterah said

@Space Cobra You are wrong, you just didn't notice it, it was an option within the settings: http://wowmb.net/forums/f8/1759-patch_note_click_move/
It was added many months before it released. See my point? Adding click to move option doesn't remove from anything.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 10:35AM Space Cobra said

@paterah

Nah, from my point-of-view with the evidence you gave, the game was programmed for WASD and defaults to WASD; you still have to turn on "mouse-click-to-move" and many players I know have not turned it on or will not (had a convo to confirm some points). It is off by default and many players are none-the-wiser.

They added it in when people were Beta-Testing. But really, with my experience with RPGs, online and off, that type of movement is best for "Command and Conquer". Not an immersive RPG: See, this (and other clues with the UI/graphics/etc.) kind of thing treats it more like an obvious game. Not much attention is given to the certain aspects of a game that may be given by North American studios. It's part culture and part pragmatic. Kinda hard to explain in a short summary: You kinda have to notice the details.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:08PM Keen and Graev said

On one hand I have this feeling that everything I love in the world is on its way, and on the other hand I know that it can never be true.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:20PM Irem said

I'm so happy to see this writeup, and it laid some of my fears to rest (and brought up new ones, of course). Thank you!

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:31PM Equillian said

Do we know what subscription model this is going with?

Posted: May 31st 2011 4:59PM Darkstryke said

@Equillian Hopefully a normal sub, and not some retarded F2P garbage that welfare quality titles aspire towards.

Posted: May 31st 2011 5:36PM Equillian said

@Darkstryke

indeed.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:36PM Kaoss said

great article, thanks!

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:59PM Raikulxox said

Hmm..it's starting to take the form of Mabinogi's better looking sister the more I hear about it. That's a good thing though, Mabinogi was excellent at combining themepark and sandbox.

Posted: May 31st 2011 2:26PM BigNastey said

Please Massively, do the same style review for TERA once the game goes into beta.

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM