Posted: May 31st 2011 12:20PM JuliusSeizure said

"your character adjusts his footing to stand on a slope (there's none of that one-foot-out-in-space stuff here)"

And a choir of angels did descend from the heavens, singing praise and reverence, for a great good in the world had become manifest.

Anyway, looking good! Definitely keeping this one on my radar.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:27PM Unshra said

@JuliusSeizure Yup, I like little details like that as well and it was the first thing I noticed in Aion. I hope we start seeing more developers pay attention to the little details in their MMOs.

Also great article even if it just teases at something I wont be able to play for a few years while those in the East get to have all the fun. >,

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 12:57AM Faction 3 said

@Unshra From what I read, GW2 is going to have this feature as well.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 1:43AM JuliusSeizure said

@Unshra

Aion has this too? I'm suddenly feeling like I might actually want to play that now.

@Faction 3

Well, I was already going to play that anyway. ;)

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:23PM BigAndShiny said

If only they made a proper sequel to vanguard that had city sieges, ship to ship combat, a huge world etc etc etc....that they promised.
That would be awesome.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:24PM Dril said

You, sir, are a total bastard.

Why tempt me so much with this glorious and shining example for the future when it's still many months, if not years, away? Your scandalous, outrageously well-written and frustratingly interesting read has me wishing it were here already.

A thousand curses upon you for this ingratiatingly amazing article.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:18PM Budukahn said

@Dril

A thousand and one curses then. The ship combat description got me interested in a Korean game. This hasn't happened since Lineage 2!

Posted: May 31st 2011 3:11PM Saker said

@Dril Agree!

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:24PM Mynsc said

Superb article! Without having played the game I can honestly say I 100% understand what you mean and I share your ending fears (or doubts) , especially considering how the crafting system seems to be built right now.

Crafting is indeed at the core of any sandbox. They can call the game however they like... if the crafting system is not done right, the game will quickly turn into a themepark in disguise. It need to be a lot more than rewarding (for starters, PvP should be built around it) and it needs to be complex and hard enough that no character (or even 3,4 characters) can become self sufficient.

Anyway, cant wait for CB4! :)

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 5:00AM Doomtrain24 said

@Mynsc Well he knows nothing of crafting system because he does not read korean. For starters in AA you have labour point that you need to spent if you want to build something.
This so, yeah you can build your own house or boat but it will take you a month(example, I don't know how long exactly). But you can buy labour point from other player or just get friend to help you build something faster. Labour point refill every 12 or 24 hr.
For example for a ship you need 1000 LP but you only have 50. so it would take 20 days to build your ship solo.
This is all theory based on interviews and so on, cause they still didn't pick how much LP point things (but they know ships and houses etc. will cost alot) will cost . But it you Factor the big amount of resource you need (wood , stone,...) plus LP you can expect that any thing big, will need many ppl contribution(like a Guild).
Sure you can build it solo but its like building a house irl solo vs building a house with a 10 man team.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:25PM (Unverified) said

I enjoyed reading your article, I can not wait till this game goes live in United states, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:32PM Ehra said

Reading about sandbox games always makes me want to go and play them, even though I know that they're not my thing (I'm one of those people where if I'm offered an infinite number of possibilities in a game will be paralyzed with indecision).

Great writeup.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:34PM (Unverified) said

This is what mmorpg should be, I can not wait to be walking along a beach in an mmo glance over and watch two ships shooting at each other only to be hit by a sudden realization that those ships are not computer added special effects but actual players battling at sea.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:04PM Equillian said

@(Unverified)

Indeed! This IS what an mmorpg should be!

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:36PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
This game sounds completely amazing. It will wipe the floor with SW:TOR, GW 2 and what not.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:04PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

on the contrary, i think Archage will be lucky to get 300k subs in NA. but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:19PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
I'm looking forward to it too, but it's about time that we stopped expecting one game to come along and blow everything else out of the water when there are so many different kinds of players wanting different things out of a gaming experience.

Posted: May 31st 2011 1:24PM Unshra said

@(Unverified) Doubt it will wipe anything in the next few years, there is very little sign of it coming to the West anytime soon so those MMOs releasing soonish have nothing to fear. I wish however that they would release the Western version along side the Eastern version but it is not going to happen. The reality is that by the time it releases in the West it will have little affect on the MMOs you mentioned.

As for me personally, while this is on the top of my list of "I want " and "about damn time" I am getting tired of reading all this news on the game while knowing that I wont be able to play it for at least another three to four years. Just feels like a bad tease (or good depending on your point of view). ;-p

Posted: May 31st 2011 2:53PM Mynsc said

@(Unverified)

Dont know about wiping the floor... but it will surely hit a niche that's been ignored for waaaaaay too long by the big guns. Atleast I hope it will... if it's gonna morph into a themepark until launch then I'm going to be terribly dissapointed.

Posted: Jun 1st 2011 7:58AM Bongo123 said

@Irem

as fantastic as it looks and sounds, by the time this is actually released it'll probably be up against Titan and well, we all know how that'll play out...

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM