Posted: May 30th 2011 6:08PM Seffrid said

" A quick glance at the dungeon list at EQ2i shows well over 100 major heroic instances and open dungeons for groups."

That's the usual EQ problem, and it's now afflicting EQ2 as well. Far too many zones for the good of the game, and no wonder that a lot of them have such low use.

Rather than revamp the zones for heroic content, they should revamp some on a scaled basis for solo/duo/small group access. That would open up some of them to additional players whereas revamping them for heroic content will simply open them up to a few guilds for as long as they remain flavour of the month and then they'll be deserted again.

Posted: May 30th 2011 7:27PM Ordegar said

@Seffrid

The problem with EQ2 is that they tried to limit instancing, which is nice as far as making it seem more alive because you can run into other adventurers and maybe join up with them, etc; but instancing allows things like auto-scaling dungeons. Imagine if all of those 100+ dungeons scaled to the group automatically as you entered. That would let you go in solo, or duo, small group or full group, and the mob difficulty would scale accordingly. You can't do that with open dungeons. So, if they did as you say and revamped the dungeons for solo or small group, then they would be useless for full groups.

And, I disagree that having a miriad of choices is a bad thing; that's one of the most beautiful things about EQ2. I love that I can play 3 different characters and not repeat any content at all if I choose to not. Most mmos now days, you know exactly where you need to go because that's just where you go at that level; that's boring.

Posted: May 31st 2011 12:00AM (Unverified) said

I just recently came back to eq2 after a 3 1/2 year separation, and I was borderline overwhelmed by all the content. Mostly in a good way- I certainly don't see it as a flaw, but it is kind of a downer when you are a guildless refugee and there's all this interesting content only accessible in groups

Posted: May 31st 2011 2:40AM TheGreatMachine said

@(Unverified) I'm in the same boat actually.

Posted: May 31st 2011 3:18AM Niieh said

This is one of the reasons why I love EQ2 so much. You could level up 3 or 4 different chars and never do the same zone twice.

I used to play this typical Korean grind mmo which had about 7 dungeons and people just ran them over and over again. You could get titles by running the dungeons a number of times and so some people were running around with a title that showed that they had completed some dungeons over 1000 times. There was even a title for completing a dungeon _50 000_ times. Crazy!

Posted: May 31st 2011 11:33AM ElfLove said

@Niieh

I agree...this game has what so many MMOs completely lack now a days.

Choices.

I can quest for 2 copper if I choose to, gear up to raid end game content, or decorate my house.

EQ2 feels more alive and involving because it's such a big world with so many possibilities.

To take any of that away or make it more of a streamlined progression...to me....would completely kill the spirit of the game.

It's Ever Quest not 'Gear Score raid grind hell hell hole' >_<

Posted: May 31st 2011 3:26AM Ziltod said

I would love to see the Isle of Refuge ("good" or "bad" side) revamped too.
It would be a fantastic nostalgia ride for me.
I'm not that interested in raids or instances, I would rather see those remade so they could be accessible for solo/small groups. But, like many others, I agree to the fact that the game has really huge content but could use some attention for the 40-50 levels.

Posted: May 31st 2011 3:57AM fannysideways said

+1 on the Isle.

Posted: May 31st 2011 9:32AM (Unverified) said

Ah New Tunaria and Forsaken City. I lived in those zones for quite some time; obsesive collector that I am. I remember how amazed I was in New Tunaria; fight past a few mobs, around a corner, (thinking I must be near the final mobs), through a gate way, and whoa. Another gorgeous area, and tough mobs to battle through. It is a great place for a Melee Spec Warden to solo. Forsaken; well the hours being lost the first few visits is permanently burned into my brain...

The Soapbox: In praise of SWTOR's 12X experience