Posted: May 29th 2011 3:01PM 2DruNk2FraG said

I never played Planetside and I regret that.

However, I am really exceted about Planetside next as a kind of second chance. What is the deal with that game? They said it was coming out around now, but why would they say that when PL:N is clearly in the early stages of development. I think that based on the fact that there is very little info besides some screenshots. I belived it was coming out in march for a while, and now I feel stupid for being so gullible.

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:02PM Khai mann said

Since when do we need a good reason to blow someone up?

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:08PM DevilSei said

@Khai mann

Amen to that brother.

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:07PM DevilSei said

That pictures of the three robots...

Don't tell me they're hopping into the air to form Voltron or something...

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:28PM Resurge said

@DevilSei well since they are all from different sides, no. That's the BF's of the 3 factions.

Had many good times in Planetside. Solo as a reaver pilot/engineer or with a friend, manning the gun on our tank etc ..good times indeed. Hope PS:N works out.

Posted: May 29th 2011 4:13PM DevilSei said

@Resurge
Yeah I figured as much, was just joking with it. You have to admit though...

That red one would make an awesome chest part, the green one a good set of legs, and the yellow arms.

Posted: May 29th 2011 3:54PM paterah said

This game is already licensed in Asia and it's revaled to be called *drums* Planetside 2 :p, they made a presentation a while back showing the map and a few other things.

Posted: May 29th 2011 4:34PM paterah said

@paterah Oups, offtopic, anyway just wanted to let people know.

Posted: May 29th 2011 4:35PM Gnomedeplume said

There is a link on the Planetside page for Direct2Drive if anyone is interested: http://www.direct2drive.com/79/product/Buy-PlanetSide%C2%AE:-Aftershock-Download

It's $19.95 for the bundle of the original plus the Core Combat expansion.

Also, after the Sony debacle, I think if you had a previous sub it has been temporarily reactivated.

Posted: May 29th 2011 5:21PM Beau Hindman said

@Gnomedeplume Yeh I saw the Planetside stuff on D2D right after I streamed the video, lol. Also, there's the link to D2D on the official home page.

I'm getting older, that's why I didn't see it!

Thanks for the comments so far, guys!

Beau

Posted: May 29th 2011 5:28PM Gnomedeplume said

So many memories from the Planetside days...

Since my last post I was able to install my old discs for Planetside and Core Combat, download a short patch, and log in. My sub expired years ago but this one is on Sony and I'm going to take advantage of the offer. Also, running Win 7 and didn't have any launch issues.

Now I just have to retrain my fingers and find my sniper gear.

Posted: May 29th 2011 8:33PM SKYeXile said

Cant wait for PSN.

Posted: May 29th 2011 10:06PM Yellowdancer said

@SKYeXile

LoL,,,at first I was like...why is this Playstation guy trolling the comments...

Who knows what they are going to do with PSN...I'm thinking they are going to merge the Agency and PSN to make a really nice game...that will have a cash shop with potions.

Posted: May 29th 2011 10:40PM SKYeXile said

@Yellowdancer Yea its hard to say, i think we will see some cash shop stuff, since it has done pretty well in free realms, but then again alot of PS devs were against cash shop in PS.

Posted: May 29th 2011 9:58PM SpencerRuler said

I've played Planetside a bit back when you could play the first few levels for free. I've enjoyed it a lot, and while I've never been able to be part of large groups or was never a proficient soldier, I've enjoyed the liberty the game gives you it terms of vehicle choice or inventory customization.

Posted: May 30th 2011 2:24AM blackcat7k said

Massively should find out what Sony plans to do about the massive amount of hacking that the current Planetside has and how they'll address in "Next." Nothing spoils a shootout more than to have someone wall hacking and killing the opposing team instantly with hacked values weapons.

However, if they don't seriously address the security problems that are currently in the present game it won't make so much of dent when it tries to make a come back as "Next"

Posted: May 30th 2011 7:28PM Resurge said

@blackcat7k ""I will say that Planetside has a better execution of a 3 sided PvP fight than Dark Age of Camelot ever did with the way players could jump into the action quickly and get right to the combat.""

i may have never disagreed with a statement more in my life. The trip back to the frontiers was part of what made getting killed a bad thing in DAOC. It was what made it feel like you actually DID something when you killed a guy. Instead of seeing him shooting arrows or whatever at you 30 secs after you just killed him, while you are still fighting his buddy. I honestly believe this "get back to the action fast" mentality is one of the larger problems in most current PvP titles. Yea it took 15 mins to get back to fighting ..yea it was a pita ...but it made it seem alo more meaningful ..and hell even REZ spells had a purpose back then other than to clean up after a wipe in a pve raid.

That said ..planetside was a different game. For a FPS ..this seems less of an annoyance for some reason. Perhaps because you are pretty much fighting nameless soldiers as far as you can tell anyway. Who cares if the names change or not.

Posted: May 31st 2011 9:26AM Damn Dirty Ape said

@Resurge

I think the 'jump back into the action' thing worked great for Planetside because it was built into the objectives of the game. Siege an enemy base and they can't make vehicles. Take their 'air' base and they have no air support unless they fly it in from home base (similar to the 'long walk' of DAoC'). Blow up the generator, the tubes, or their AMS and no more respawning. It's just a fantastic system that I hope the sequel doesn't mess with too much.

Yeah, you might fight the same guy over and over again, but if you manage to push your way onto their base and blow up their generator or clone tubes, they're gone.

Posted: May 30th 2011 1:26PM Budukahn said

My planetside sub being reactivated because of this Sony hacking debacle almost makes me greatful to the hackers. Planetside has long been one of my favourite MMO's, but given that it has had next to no development over the years, and those additions to the core game it did have (The Caves, and the BFR "Mechs") were poorly done, after three years I quit.

I still look disdainfully on the so-called PVP'ers in other games to this day thanks to Planetside. A game where everyone was on the same level in terms of their potential, where you couldn't hide behind artificial levels and gear to gank with impunity and a game where upwards of three hundred players could clash in an almighty three way battle makes the Warfronts, Battlegrounds and Scenarios of other games pretty dang paltry by comparison.

Alas for now, PVP is largely ten on ten skirmishes capturing a silly flag so I can earn "points" to buy more "gear". I eagerly await Planetside 2.

Betawatch: April 12 - 18, 2014